MRI....more stringent process in Orlando than Lake Imaging!?

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default MRI....more stringent process in Orlando than Lake Imaging!?

......I was search for an open MRI system that does not have the restrictions that are on the machine at Lake Imaging located in the Sharon Morse building.
I did find two different providers in Orlando, both the very latest in open MRI technology (significantly newer than LI). One is the new standing/sitting MRI and the other a new open configuration that is more powerful than most current systems. So I am happy....I will not go in the tubes they have here in TV. The other finding I was surprised by is the Orlando providers for seniors will not use a contrast dye without first having a blood test to confirm ones renal systems are appropriate for contrast dye. Here in TV whether to use the contrast is spelled out by the doctor and the technicians do the job. If contrast is not specified by the doctor then it is at the technicians jurisdiction to determine if it is necessary or not. I personally feel much more comfortable knowing the folks in Orlando are more stringent in the contrast regard.

The other factor I am pleased with is the Orlando providers are both physician in attendance facilities.

For me, the peace of mind of an open MRI, plus blood test for verification and physician availability make the trip to Orlando more than worth the time and effort.

btk
Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Gold member

I was told that open MRI machines do not read as accurately as closed, but I have no personal experience as I have always had closed.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I admire your information gathering. This information will help others too.

Many prayers for a good outcome to the test!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Some of the newest generation open machines have

magnetic fields that are up to four times stronger than standard closed MRI machines producing superior quality images.
The new "stand up" machines allow for positioning of the body and or parts that could never ever come close in a closed machine...take a look at this:

http://www.healthdiagnostics.com/loc...etail.php?id=9

Google stand up MRI machines and see some of the demos.

ANd here is the other new generation open machine:

http://www.openmrioforlando.com/

These may not be the answer for everybody but if one is uncomfortable being put in a 2 foot diameter tube for 40 minutes....these are two great alternatives.

I was put half way in one of the tubes and went tilt. I did not like the suggestion of being sedated or semi drugged to fuzz away the fear. And I had serious concerns about the contrast side effects.

Hence my quest for an alternative. I would have driven further than Orlando to find the right solution.

btk
Old 12-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Sage

Excellent information, BTK. Thanks for sharing. I too hope your tests show good results.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
I was told that open MRI machines do not read as accurately as closed, but I have no personal experience as I have always had closed.
Many years ago I had a shoulder injury and requested an open MRI. My doctor said they are not as good. I asked if they are good enough and he said "it's your shoulder".. I got the standard MRI. Glad to hear the open has improved that much.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Dancing Thyme

My experience with MRI's....

Four years ago was my first MRI, standard closed unit with contrast, total time needed was about 45 minutes.

Second MRI, 2 years later, with contrast, standard closed machine..... 25 minutes... when I asked why? The answer was newer machines require less time and are more exacting.

Third MRI, last July, with contrast, OPEN MRI, total time 20 minutes. Very good experience and very happy with the improvement of the technology.

Yes, BTK, I went a lot further than Orlando to have a comfortable test --- I had it done in Los Angeles at my original hospital... Very important to feel secure that your testing is done by competent technicians and that you are comfortable during the test.

Wish they were this successful in a cure for cancer, but I guess that is a little harder to accomplish.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
My experience with MRI's....

Four years ago was my first MRI, standard closed unit with contrast, total time needed was about 45 minutes.

Second MRI, 2 years later, with contrast, standard closed machine..... 25 minutes... when I asked why? The answer was newer machines require less time and are more exacting.

Third MRI, last July, with contrast, OPEN MRI, total time 20 minutes. Very good experience and very happy with the improvement of the technology.

Yes, BTK, I went a lot further than Orlando to have a comfortable test --- I had it done in Los Angeles at my original hospital... Very important to feel secure that your testing is done by competent technicians and that you are comfortable during the test.

Wish they were this successful in a cure for cancer, but I guess that is a little harder to accomplish.

I was told that when they use contrast into an IV it is call an MRA, as opposed to an MRI when they don't. I had an MRA done to arteries in my legs. I had an MRI done to show muscles and tenons in my shoulder.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I was told that when they use contrast into an IV it is call an MRA, as opposed to an MRI when they don't. I had an MRA done to arteries in my legs. I had an MRI done to show muscles and tenons in my shoulder.
Really?? wow, Shimpy, ya learn somthin' new everyday. I had no clue. Interesting... mine was for a brain scan to see if I had one....... Thanks for the info.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Really?? wow, Shimpy, ya learn somthin' new everyday. I had no clue. Interesting... mine was for a brain scan to see if I had one....... Thanks for the info.
Good one KathieI -

Thanks for the info. I never had the priviledge of having an MRI but I would like to be in an open MRI as small spaces without the ability to move is not a pretty thought to me.

Someone told me that an MRI machine was very noisy while performing the test. Is that true?

He had more of a problem with the noise than being in an enclosed space.

BTK. - Best wishes for good results.

Last edited by 2BNTV; 12-15-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Good one KathieI -

Thanks for the info. I never had the priviledge of having an MRI but I would like to be in an open MRI as small spaces without the ability to move is not a pretty thought to me.

Someone told me that an MRI machine was very noisy while performing the test. Is that true?

He had more of a problem with the noise than being in an enclosed space.

BTK. - Best wishes for good results.
Actually, I thought the Open MRI was louder than the closed one, but it could have been my imagination... I was so panicked in the closed one, I'm not sure what I was hearing... Lay there for the entire time but NEVER NEVER open your eyes, you will freak out.... LOL.. sorry, but its true.

BTK, good luck!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Boomer's storytime

This is really good info on MRI's. Thank you, btk, for starting this thread.

I had an MRI, 5 years ago, and I did not give any thought at all about where to go. I just called a place and made an appointment. It turned out to be one of those places that investors own, I guess, located in a little strip mall. No doctors in sight, although they might have been on the investor-end -- if that is how those things work -- which I think maybe they do. Who knows what's next? -- Maybe a kiosk in a fancy mall. Everything turned out fine, but next time I will choose a place more carefully. But I digress....

So anyway, you know the drill about taking all the jewelry off. Well....Mr. Boomer and I have been married for a long time. And I do not remove my wedding ring, a wide gold band. And....uh oh.....

I twisted my ring. I turned my ring. I lotioned my finger. I soaped my finger. I smeared butter on my finger. I drizzled olive oil on my finger. But.....you guessed it.....through all that slopping and slathering, I kept right on twisting and turning my ring.

So what did I get?

I think you know.

I got a twice as big, fat, swollen, red finger still wearing the ring. And I was due at the MRI that afternoon.

Suddenly a light bulb went off over top my head just like in the cartoons. I went to the drugstore and I bought a tube of magic stuff. Smeared it on. Waited for a few minutes. And off came the ring. As nice as could be.

What was in that magic-potion tube?

Preparation-H.

Yet another helpful hint from,
Héloise Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-15-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Sage

I have done two closed MRI's, one for a shoulder injury, one after an auto accident. I don't remember it being loud. The enclosure didn't really bother me, but I think an open MRI would be more comfortable.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.