Need names of dentists

Old 02-28-2024, 06:06 PM
Sage
Default Need names of dentists

This story is familiar---especially for new folks, but we're not new here. We've had a handful of dentists in the almost 15 yrs we've lived here. They leave or insurance changes (which most recently happened with us). Thought I'd found someone but I'm getting frustrated with them. It's Wildwood Dentists on Hwy 44....yes I've recently heard things that are negative re: them but they'd seemed fine with us. I had to have crowns and today they were to be inserted. I called yesterday to double-check on the app't because the last time something happened re: the lab. they use. Well I get there at appointed time, was told to take a seat and waited maybe 15 or 20 minutes when they called me up. I was told the lab was confused or some convoluted thing and things wouldn't be ready for another week. It's already been THREE!! We have FL Blue so looks like I'll be making phone calls around to find someone whose more reliable. I don't want to drive all over the area (we live between 466 and 466A). Can anyone recommend reliable dentists in this area. When ever, in the past, we thought we'd find found someone and was with them awhile then their circumstances changed. I know this one is a large corporation (didn't know that in the beginning) so suspect it's about profits etc. I'd thought they'd use a local lab but apparently not. I'm mostly venting but word of mouth here seems to work pretty well, generally. TY!!
Old 02-28-2024, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

We were happy with the quality of the work at Trailwinds Dental.

There were some policies we did not like and their billing department had issues but the work was competent.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-28-2024, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

We use Baylee Dental, they do not take insurance, but they give you a form to send to your carrier, and you get the check. No up sales, no pressure for additional treatments, good reliable dental work. NOTE: when we had dental coverage, this worked fine, we paid the bill, and then we got the insurance check. Since we no longer have dental coverage it does not matter.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

IMO Dentist only want to do what they want. Which is don’t want pull teeth no matter how bad. They want to root canel recap run up bill for their next Vegas trip then blame it on you need deep cleaning another racket to run up bill. Dental insurance about as good as appliance insurance pages of tiny print that gets them out of paying virtually nothing except cleaning and when have to have some costly work done good luck getting them to come close to paying half. Good luck in your search, hope have better luck than me O by way I’ve been here 11 years find that most businesses in Florida rip off.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:07 PM

Dr. Reem Jaber
Palm Ridge Dental
11938 CR 101, Suite 110
The Villages, FL 32162

Cosmetic Dentistry, Dental Practice, Dentists | The Villages, FL
352-391-9930
Old 02-29-2024, 09:00 AM
Sage

Thank you for the responses but when I let my fingers do the walking---Prime Ridge Dental and Trailwinds don't take our Florida Blue Ins. THAT was my question that wasn't fully answered. I can see this will be a difficult journey to go on. I agree that many dentists here aren't up to what we were used to in our former lives but there has to be some that still care about their patients etc. IF you have Florida Blue---could/would you please help me. I don't want to pay out of pocket and deal with that mumbo-jumbo! I mostly need help with cleaning as I have implants but once in awhile regular care as well. Thank you again!!
Old 02-29-2024, 09:31 AM
Gold member

Lifetime Dentistry on 441 by the Lowe's is very good. They take all kinds of insurance plans too.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:39 AM
Sage

It's me again.....I finally called the insurance company, which is probably what I should have done first but word of mouth sometimes is more helpful. They're sending me a list of providers BUT she also told me of two other local ones....David Price with Lake Sumter Dental and Jocelyn Lu ( they didn't have a practice name). Does anyone here have feed-back good/bad on either of these??
Old 02-29-2024, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

It depends on whether your plan is a PPO or a POS or an HMO. Lifetime Dentistry on 441 near Aldi's only accepts PPO plans. Florida Blue, Delta, Cigna, etc.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Sage

I'm sorry this isn't helpful, NotGolfer, but in 15 years we've only had one dentist. We don't have dental insurance, so no reason to change. Maybe not having insurance is the only way to avoid a hassle?
Old 02-29-2024, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Personally, I don't believe in dental insurance. Unless someone else, like an employer, is paying the premiums, does it really save any money? I am a Federal retiree, and the Federal Government offers dental insurance, but they don't pay any of the premiums. So, I don't buy it. I think the major benefit for dental insurance is for the dentist, who charges more to someone with insurance.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Hardly a week goes by where one of friends/neighbors/team members doesn’t share their frustrations with the challenge of finding a good dentist here in The Villages. So many of us still patronize our old dentists from the states we moved. Poor service and aggressive up-selling seems to be more prevalent here for some reason. I’m not saying there aren’t competent and ethical dentists here, it’s just that you have to be tenacious in your quest to seek them out.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:52 PM
Default Dr Altoos in Lady Lake ! Best dentist I have ever had hands down !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
This story is familiar---especially for new folks, but we're not new here. We've had a handful of dentists in the almost 15 yrs we've lived here. They leave or insurance changes (which most recently happened with us). Thought I'd found someone but I'm getting frustrated with them. It's Wildwood Dentists on Hwy 44....yes I've recently heard things that are negative re: them but they'd seemed fine with us. I had to have crowns and today they were to be inserted. I called yesterday to double-check on the app't because the last time something happened re: the lab. they use. Well I get there at appointed time, was told to take a seat and waited maybe 15 or 20 minutes when they called me up. I was told the lab was confused or some convoluted thing and things wouldn't be ready for another week. It's already been THREE!! We have FL Blue so looks like I'll be making phone calls around to find someone whose more reliable. I don't want to drive all over the area (we live between 466 and 466A). Can anyone recommend reliable dentists in this area. When ever, in the past, we thought we'd find found someone and was with them awhile then their circumstances changed. I know this one is a large corporation (didn't know that in the beginning) so suspect it's about profits etc. I'd thought they'd use a local lab but apparently not. I'm mostly venting but word of mouth here seems to work pretty well, generally. TY!!
As a prior military spouse I have had quite a few dentist. I have learned what to watch out for. When we first moved here , 4 years ago , I was driving back to Pensacola to see my dentist up there every 6 months. I finally had to get an implant and after checking here went with Dr Davis . I took a list of dentist in my network to him to help me choose a local dentist. He recommended Dr Altoos. I am so impressed with him and his office cannot say anything but good things about him and his conservative dentist practice. Highly recommend
Old 02-29-2024, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It depends on whether your plan is a PPO or a POS or an HMO. Lifetime Dentistry on 441 near Aldi's only accepts PPO plans. Florida Blue, Delta, Cigna, etc.
I’ve got the POS plan….
Old 02-29-2024, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Personally, I don't believe in dental insurance. Unless someone else, like an employer, is paying the premiums, does it really save any money? I am a Federal retiree, and the Federal Government offers dental insurance, but they don't pay any of the premiums. So, I don't buy it. I think the major benefit for dental insurance is for the dentist, who charges more to someone with insurance.
It saves money if you need dental work. Because I have periodontal disease, I can't get "regular" cleanings, which cost around $150 twice a year, not including fluoride treatments or xrays. I have to get "periodontal maintenance" which runs around $200, 4 times a year, not including fluoride treatments or yearly xrays. With my dental plan, I pay $64 each time. The dental plan itself costs me $17/month. Basically I pay around 50% less than "retail price" for all dental work, after I factor in my premium as part of my yearly expense.

Tags
dentists, thought, lab, area, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.