Need Recommendation for Orthopedic Surgeon for Arthritic Knees

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegarn View Post
My husband used Dr. Steven Nguyen just this past March. His incision is on the outside of his knee cap then down the center of the leg for a bit. The muscles were moved to the side. He was up and walking almost immediately, at therapy after a week and playing golf in a month. Super recovery and very little pain.
BE VERY CAREFUL with this technique. I had my right knee replaced this way and it went fine. The following year I had the left one replaced and it was a fiasco. In one week the pain was tremendous. The appliance had moved causing fractures on my tibia and fibula. I wore a full leg immobilizer for three months with minimal weight bearing until I could have revision. Two years after revision, the pain was back. This time I went to Shands for an opinion and the appliance had loosened and I needed another replacement. This was confirmed by another orthopod in Orlando. I had an infection in the knee which had to be removed. A spacer was placed and I was immobile again for 4 months while on IV antibiotics 24/7 for six weeks. Finally had the permanent knee placed last December. My surgery was very complex and I am still having PT today. I wouldn’t recommend the lateral approach as I had four surgeries on that knee in three years and wouldn’t wish the pain and agony on anybody.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=MandoMan;2019580]Check out Radnothy Orthopedics in Tavares, across 441 from AdventHealth Waterman, the closest A-rated hospital to us. It’s a bit of a drive, but it may be worth it.

“ Dr Jon H. Radnothy is one of Central Florida’s most achieved orthopedic surgeons. After over 25 years of providing orthopedic care of the highest quality in Lake County, Florida, Dr Radnothy and his well regarded team at Radnothy Orthopaedics remain clear examples of how the best of cutting edge orthopedic care can be administered in a truly personal way.

Specializing in the most current and popular Joint Replacement procedures.

Voted “The Best Orthopedic Surgeon” of Lake and Sumter Counties (2018 Healthy Living Magazine).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm with you. Dr Radnothy is an excellent and down to earth doctor. My husband had his knee replaced by him and I had a meniscus tear repaired. He takes his time and explains everything.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:16 AM

Dr. Karl Siebuhr
Orthopedic Surgeon - Ocala, FL - Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery - Dr. Karl Siebuhr, MD
1500 Southeast Magnolia Extension
Suite 104
Ocala, Florida 34471

(352) 456-0220

Will do free evaluation visit. Uses latest 3D technology.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in arthritic knees. Very importantly, I would like a surgeon who performs total knee replacement by either the "side entry" or moves the quad muscle to the side for placement of the artificial knee joint.

Thank you in advance.
I agree with the comment about Dr Michael Messieh. He did my right knee. Quick recovery and I did not have any pain.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for recommendations for an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in arthritic knees. Very importantly, I would like a surgeon who performs total knee replacement by either the "side entry" or moves the quad muscle to the side for placement of the artificial knee joint.

Thank you in advance.
Please think twice before having any surgery in an outpatient surgi-center. If something goes unexpectedly wrong, their options to save/revive you are limited, and every second counts. Please consider having your procedure done in a real hospital, especially at our age. If famous comedian Joan Rivers had been in a hospital, instead of a surgi-center, for her procedure, she'd probably still be here today wise cracking.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklloop View Post
First, you mention 2 different issues you are having, arthritic knee and knee replacement. Both of those require different surgical approaches. The first thing you should do is get an MRI to determine what is actually causing you pain. An MRI will show if you need arthritis removed or if you need a partial or full knee replacement. I play sports so I went with Dr. Krueger from TOI (The Orthopedic Institute), He is a sports specific orthopedic surgeon. I liked the facility on 441,, it has the Dr. office, x-rays, MRI, Physical therapy all in one location. Dr. Krueger was great, he left a 2 inch incision that is almost transparent from my partial knee replacement. he did the surgery Thursday and I started PT on Friday am. Just remember that physical therapy is a MUST! I was back to playing sports in 2.5 months. Your doing the right thing by doing your research and asking people who have been through this for input! Good Luck!
Dr. MESSIAH, no physical therapy, hip surgery, back to golf in 2 weeks.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Stem cell surgery is not FDA approved, says a lot for the procedure.

Please explain just what exactly what FDA approval says.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:23 AM

Sorry about the length. There is some good advice here and also some bad or misleading information that I would like to respond to having spent 40 years in the orthopedic business. I was mainly involved in a corporate R&D capacity for total hip and knee total joint devices, regularly testified to FDA panels regarding clearance of implant devices, worked with many prominent orthopedic surgeons developing state of the art implant procedures, and lastly consulted on many lawsuits against companies and surgeons regarding total joint arthroplasty failures.

Stem Cell therapies: May offer some relief on very early stages of osteoarthritis. I believe that only autogenous stem cell (harvested from the patient’s body) procedures don’t need FDA clearance, all other do and they should only follow a controlled FDA approved clinical study. If you are bone-on-bone (as determined by a simple AP x-ray), stem cell therapies will do nothing for you so don’t waste your money.

Side Approach: Over the years total joint surgical techniques have been successfully developed to reduce the amount of ancillary tissue damage (and trauma) incurred during the implantation procedure. This process has included the development of more refined instrumentation (by implant producers) available to the surgeon. Regarding total knee procedures the quadriceps muscle group were never severed. At most a ‘lateral release’ of the quads may have been performed in some more highly deformed patients’ knees in order to re-establish the proper biomechanics to the joint. Depending upon the level of knee deformity presented to the surgeon this may still be done in some instances. Mainly, it keeps the patella from dislocating laterally off the knee joint during ambulation. Anyway, over the years the surgical incision has been modified slightly to reduce ancillary tissue trauma. This results in less post surgical pain and therefore a faster recovery. Virtually all total knee systems today are placed using tissue sparing surgical approaches.

Post surgical rehab (PT): Do it, and don’t push the transition back into active sports or other highly physical activities. You will jeopardize the total joint arthroplasty. If the implants lose their fixation to the bone there is only one solution - surgical reconstruction. While the reduced pain may allow it the biology definitely favors a slow metered approach to pre-surgical activity levels. Slowly build up the musculature and other tissues spanning the operated joint. Bike riding, swimming, and walking are the best. Impact sports are never recommended by the folks that develop joint replacement devices. Every implant sold in the US comes with what is called a package insert. It contains all the contra-indications, precautions, and warnings for the device. Pre surgery have your doctor give you a copy and read it. Changing your lifestyle slightly away from competitive sports will enhance the longevity of your total joint arthroplasty. Also, to the best of your ability keep your weight down. Even small decreases in body weight reduce the stress on the total joint by a multiple of that decrease.

Painful Arthroplasty: Sometimes, even the best surgeons have patients who are subject to chronic joint pain. It’s less common than it used to be as surgical techniques and device designs have improved. Also, unfortunately, infections can occur following surgery but usually at a rate of less than 1%. They are difficult to treat and may require the removal of devices, treatment with an antibiotic laced spacer, and then total joint re-implantation after the infection has cleared.

Custom made devices: Unless you have a severe joint deformity the range of off-the-shelf sizes offered by manufacturers can successfully accommodate the vast majority of patients.

Lastly the comment by Wallflower (post #27): Utter nonsense. In the US all medical devices are cleared for sale by the FDA. This is a rigorous process of which I’ve been involved in many. There was never an easy path and all new devices including total joint devices must go through an FDA approved clinical study to prove safety and efficacy. Then the company request for marketing clearance to the FDA is scrutinized by FDA experts as well as FDA panel. The panel consists of independent (non FDA, non corporate) experts (Ph.Ds and MDs) in the field of the specialty such as orthopedics. For many devices the clinical study and clearance process may take many years. Additionally, device manufacturers are regularly visited by FDA field personnel. Their visit may take a week where they can go through all your manufacturing records and scrutinize all your quality processes to assure that you meet the myriad of requirements and standards for good manufacturing practices. If you don’t meet certain standards or are engaging in non approved practices they have the legal power to shut you down. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
FDA approvals are based on corporate power first, corporate science 2nd. Remember roundup (agent orange) is FDA approved to use in the farming industry, the food you eat=cancer. Cigarettes too, with a little warning. The FDA is not here for you and I, they are a group of revolving door corporate employees who go to the FDA, cdc etc..Research the top employees in these 3 letter agencies.
FDA regulations for new equipment and drugs are very strict. I've submitted many 501(k) for medical equipment for approvals to them. The equipment hospitals/doctors use "on", "in you" for "blood test results", and new pharmaceuticals must have FDA approval. The steps involved are rigorous and highly scrutinized and take years of data. Have they made mistakes? Yes. They have also kept (and removed) hundreds of substandard drugs and medical devices off the market. Among hundreds of drugs not approved, they kept Thalidomide which caused horrible birth defects off the US Market in the 60's.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:35 PM

I had my right knee replaced by Dr. Duke in 2018. He's the best. He did a "cementless" replacement, which he claims will last longer, although my google knowledge on this subject indicates it's too early (not enough operations performed yet) to make that claim.

In the attached pic, you see long screws, which are not normally there in most procedures because cement is used to attached the unit to the bones.

Here's a good video to watch by two surgeons from the University of Penn, so you know what you're in for.
Painful Total Knee Replacement - Why Does It Still Hurt? - YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	knee02.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	91262  
Old 10-21-2021, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
I had a left knee ACL replaced in 1998. By 2015 the knee had deteriorated to the point it needed replacing. Dr Nguyen replaced it using the “side” method and never said there would be any problems due to the previous ACL work. All is still good.
Thanks for that information. I read an article that said having a previous open surgery on the knee would disqualify a patient from the less invasive replacement surgery. It just goes to show, you can’t always believe what you read. I have a routine bi-annual appointment next week to check out my right knee replacement and I will discuss my options on the left knee with him.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,178 Times in 1,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepoole View Post
Dr James B Duke, MD in Ocala
Last I heard from folks on this forum, Dr. James Duke does not perform the quad muscle (side entry) procedure for the TKR. Has he begun to perform that procedure at this time?
Old 10-22-2021, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklloop View Post
First, you mention 2 different issues you are having, arthritic knee and knee replacement. Both of those require different surgical approaches. The first thing you should do is get an MRI to determine what is actually causing you pain. An MRI will show if you need arthritis removed or if you need a partial or full knee replacement. I play sports so I went with Dr. Krueger from TOI (The Orthopedic Institute), He is a sports specific orthopedic surgeon. I liked the facility on 441,, it has the Dr. office, x-rays, MRI, Physical therapy all in one location. Dr. Krueger was great, he left a 2 inch incision that is almost transparent from my partial knee replacement. he did the surgery Thursday and I started PT on Friday am. Just remember that physical therapy is a MUST! I was back to playing sports in 2.5 months. Your doing the right thing by doing your research and asking people who have been through this for input! Good Luck!

Thank you.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny2403 View Post
In my opinion Stem Cell Therapy is temporary and in some cases the Dr. has a vested interest in the offering. And, as noted, there is no guarantee it will work.
I have ruled out stem cell therapy when I found out it is experimental, it is extremely expensive and there is no guarantee it will give relief of pain.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:24 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Quote:
I looked into stem cell therapy. From what I read, it is very expensive and there is no guarantee it will be effective.
And you think a knee replacement is cheaper?

What guarantees will the ortho give you that the knee replacement will be totally successful and effective ?

Have you read blogs that give both sides of the replacement story ?

obviously your choice, just trying to give another option
Closed Thread

Tags
surgeon, orthopedic, arthritic, knees, knee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.