Need Recommendation for Orthopedic Surgeon for Arthritic Knees

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2021, 06:15 AM

My husband used Dr. Steven Nguyen just this past March. His incision is on the outside of his knee cap then down the center of the leg for a bit. The muscles were moved to the side. He was up and walking almost immediately, at therapy after a week and playing golf in a month. Super recovery and very little pain.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Dr. Steve Nguyen, the “father” of side entry total knee replacements. He’s probably done close to 10,000. His main office is in Orlando, but he recently opened an office on Route 44, (5555 East CR 44, (407) 355-3120 for both offices) across from Brownwood. I think he still does all his surgeries at Dr.. Phillips Hospital in Orlando.

I was “chipping and putting” in three weeks, playing a full round in five. Used a cane around the house for only a few days post-op.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
Absolutely, Dr Karina at UNOVA on Rolling Acres Rd. He did both of mine. No pain, and I was up and mobile the same day. Playing Golf in no time flat and then back to softball.
Wow, that's astonishing. Everybody I hear about has had 1-2 years of pain. You must have had it done before too much damage was done. Good for you!!!
Old 10-21-2021, 06:48 AM

UNOVA. They only do hips and knees with the latest knowledge. I walked in at 8AM and walked out at 3:30PM with a new hip and only took Tylenol for discomfort.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:59 AM

Dr. Cook at Advanced Orthopedic Institute 352-751-2862
Old 10-21-2021, 06:59 AM

Dr. Nguyen is the only one I would recommend . I have heard horror stories in the Pickleball community about bad outcomes, revision surgeries etc. Everyone I know ( like Kahuna) that used Nguyen has had great results. I walked out of the surgery center after the procedure, walked a mile the next day , two miles the day after that and so on. I was playing competitive PB again in 5 weeks.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:00 AM
Default Toi

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in arthritic knees. Very importantly, I would like a surgeon who performs total knee replacement by either the "side entry" or moves the quad muscle to the side for placement of the artificial knee joint.

Thank you in advance.
First, you mention 2 different issues you are having, arthritic knee and knee replacement. Both of those require different surgical approaches. The first thing you should do is get an MRI to determine what is actually causing you pain. An MRI will show if you need arthritis removed or if you need a partial or full knee replacement. I play sports so I went with Dr. Krueger from TOI (The Orthopedic Institute), He is a sports specific orthopedic surgeon. I liked the facility on 441,, it has the Dr. office, x-rays, MRI, Physical therapy all in one location. Dr. Krueger was great, he left a 2 inch incision that is almost transparent from my partial knee replacement. he did the surgery Thursday and I started PT on Friday am. Just remember that physical therapy is a MUST! I was back to playing sports in 2.5 months. Your doing the right thing by doing your research and asking people who have been through this for input! Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2021, 07:01 AM
Default Knee replacement

I researched for my wife on knee replacement. She had Dr. Steven Nguyen in Orlando do the surgery. Very pleased little pain was walking same day. Much better then my knee that was done in St. Louis 2.5 years ago that still gives me pain.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:05 AM

In my opinion Stem Cell Therapy is temporary and in some cases the Dr. has a vested interest in the offering. And, as noted, there is no guarantee it will work.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:13 AM
Default Dr. Nguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Dr. Steve Nguyen, the “father” of side entry total knee replacements. He’s probably done close to 10,000. His main office is in Orlando, but he recently opened an office on Route 44, (5555 East CR 44, (407) 355-3120 for both offices) across from Brownwood. I think he still does all his surgeries at Dr.. Phillips Hospital in Orlando.

I was “chipping and putting” in three weeks, playing a full round in five. Used a cane around the house for only a few days post-op.
A friend had Dr. Nguyen do hers last year. She stayed overnight the night before at a hotel near Dr. Phillips Hospital as her surgery was early the next morning.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:29 AM
Default Dr Nguyen is great! Knee felt like my own immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post

Dr Nguyen is now using an ambulatory surgery center for his surgery. Location is in Orlando. I had my knee done last year and was there by 8:30 am and back in the Villages by 3:30 pm. Playing golf in 4 weeks, all sports in 3 months. I even went skiing.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:05 AM

FDA approvals are based on corporate power first, corporate science 2nd. Remember roundup (agent orange) is FDA approved to use in the farming industry, the food you eat=cancer. Cigarettes too, with a little warning. The FDA is not here for you and I, they are a group of revolving door corporate employees who go to the FDA, cdc etc..Research the top employees in these 3 letter agencies.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:21 AM

Dr Stevan Nguyen (pronounced Winn) at Optimotion in Orlando. Side cut, quick rehab, no pain. He did my right knee. Different doc did my left, center incision, still having issues
Old 10-21-2021, 08:22 AM
Default Ortho recommend

HIGHLY recommend the Orthopedic Institute in Ocala. They have a satellite office up by Walmart on 441.
Their doctors specialize in different parts of the body.
Surgeries are done at West Marion Hospital, on Rt. 200, just West of I-75. We love that hospital over all the area hospitals.
It only takes 30 minutes to get to the doctor's offices and the hospital.
Wife and I have had our shoulders and my knee done and love their surgeons and office staff.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Dam, I just did a bunch of research on minimally invasive, often referred to as quadriceps-sparing, total knee replacement surgery. It appears I am not a candidate because the knee has already had an open patella graph ACL reconstruction surgery (basketball injury back in 1994). Looks like it’s the more invasive traditional method for me. Oh well, it worked on the other knee, but it’s a long recovery. To add insult to injury, they will take out my reconstructed ACL and toss it in the garbage during the knee replacement.
I had a left knee ACL replaced in 1998. By 2015 the knee had deteriorated to the point it needed replacing. Dr Nguyen replaced it using the “side” method and never said there would be any problems due to the previous ACL work. All is still good.
Closed Thread

Tags
surgeon, orthopedic, arthritic, knees, knee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.