"Neurodiversity" by Thomas Armstrong, Ph.D.

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Sage
Default "Neurodiversity" by Thomas Armstrong, Ph.D.

I find this book interesting because the author talks about different mental conditions and looks for the good aspects of each condition, rather than just seeing what is obviously bad.

One condition, for example, is mood disorder/depression. The author states that our culture is obessed with happiness and explains why other mental states are needed. To be continued.

Post continued:

Why would anyone try to change for the better unless they are unhappy with the status quo? So there's an example of unhappyness possibly leading to productive change. On the other hand, if a person has multiple health issues and is happy, the chances are they will never try to solve those issues. They are happy with their condition and lifestyle as is.

Experiments have shown that happy people have less of a grip on reality. Is it any wonder then that automobile sales people (and others) try to establish a happy relationship with their customers?

And if you're out for an evening of fun (and happiness) with your friends, it naturally follows that you will likely be less discriminating about the healthfulness of the foods you consume. (That wasn't in the book; I just threw that in for fun.)

So it seems to me that too much happiness sets the stage for several possible pitfalls in life. But it doesn't mean that you have to go around being unhappy all the time; I think it just means you need to have some control over it.

Last edited by Villages PL; 10-23-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Continued
Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Sage
Smile

I finally completed my post above and welcome any comments.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Sage

I agree with this to a point. Our moods generally direct our actions, but not haphazardly at all times. We don't necessarily throw caution to the winds as far as health when we are happy individuals....we may be happy with routine and that routine is what makes us happy. The routine may be geared towards health and good living. I don't particularly think you're an unhappy individual and yet you practice good health measures for yourself. I have observed individuals who do seem to over-react when in the company of others when the mood is happy and carefree. They may do things they might not normally do, they may eat things they don't normally eat.....but this doesn't mean that they will continue with the particular behavior when not in the circumstances that initiated the uncautious response.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

I see your point but for me it really illustrates that age old idea of moderation in everything. It seems this could also pertain to happiness and unhappiness.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.