Neurologist appointment at Shands in Gainesville!

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2023, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Neurologist appointment at Shands in Gainesville!

After primary care referral review (2 weeks) I was advised the first available appointment with a neurologist would be 5/21/2024!!!

I worked very hard to control whether to gasp or laugh out loud. I asked what one could do to appeal for an earlier consideration...adding my name to their cancellation list was offered.

When pursuing a need to see a medical provider one does not expect to be offered something over 6 months away.

It is somewhat a concern that a medical provider would not think twice about offering such a lengthy wait.

I was just not prepared for such long lead times.

Makes the 2.5 hour ride to Mayo in Jacksonville look more and more acceptable.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Wow.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:57 PM

Sounds like you must be on one of those Medicare Dis-Advantage plans. Sorry to hear it is taking so long. Almost like living in Canada it would seem.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Sounds like you must be on one of those Medicare Dis-Advantage plans. Sorry to hear it is taking so long. Almost like living in Canada it would seem.
Nope. Conventional medicare + supplement.

I asked if I were paying (not ins)......no change!

Old 10-17-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Almost like living in Canada it would seem.
There are stories of folks in Canada having to wait 3 YEARS to see an oncologist.

Assume there are some Canadians on this board; I would be interested in your take.
Old 10-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Well if you were in the VA system that wait could be 8 months or longer in some states. Consider 7 months a bonus.

Private practice oncologist 3 month first available initial appointment, that was because we worked at the facility, and received perks with office. If just off the street, 6 month first available appointment.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I'm just asking, but isn't Shands a teaching hospital and part of the University of Florida, which is a public university? Aren't appointments based on the priorities of the medical school mission to teach medical students?
Old 10-17-2023, 07:36 PM

Yes, you are correct that Shands is part of U of F and is a teaching hospital. However, I'm unaware of the priorities for getting appointments and there isn't one system for all teaching hospitals. Unfortunately, it's going to take some work and phone calls to find a timely appointment with a neurologist and maybe a drive as well. Your health is worth it!!!!
Old 10-18-2023, 04:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm just asking, but isn't Shands a teaching hospital and part of the University of Florida, which is a public university? Aren't appointments based on the priorities of the medical school mission to teach medical students?
No, teaching hospitals (attached to Medical school or not)has private, and owned physicians.
The medical students, residents or fellows, have nothing to do with priority of appointments. They get experience when you enter the picture, right behind the attending.

The only time students have some control of appointments is at cadaver lab, and none of the cadavers have an issue with long waits
Old 10-18-2023, 04:34 AM

I am an established patient of them I have had three brain surgeries through that dept I could not get in to see anyone until end of march next year for a issue but that’s not happening. It has nothing to do with your insurance at all. They busy, so do what everyone else is doing and wait if it is deemed an urgent need they will get you in.. they did for me.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Well if you were in the VA system that wait could be 8 months or longer in some states. Consider 7 months a bonus.

Private practice oncologist 3 month first available initial appointment, that was because we worked at the facility, and received perks with office. If just off the street, 6 month first available appointment.
Wow! My wife was diagnosed with cancer by a gynecologist. That office called an oncologist's office and we got a call back for an appointment before we even got home! The appointment with the oncologist was less than a week later. This all happened in NC. Veterans deserve much better service than that!
Old 10-18-2023, 04:41 AM
Default You and everyone else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
After primary care referral review (2 weeks) I was advised the first available appointment with a neurologist would be 5/21/2024!!!

I worked very hard to control whether to gasp or laugh out loud. I asked what one could do to appeal for an earlier consideration...adding my name to their cancellation list was offered.

When pursuing a need to see a medical provider one does not expect to be offered something over 6 months away.

It is somewhat a concern that a medical provider would not think twice about offering such a lengthy wait.

I was just not prepared for such long lead times.

Makes the 2.5 hour ride to Mayo in Jacksonville look more and more acceptable.

Surprise surprise we all waiting, make that trip to mayo if you can get in.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:48 AM

I am from Canada and when I had cancer 7 years ago, I went from diagnosis to full and successful treatment in 7 months. Yes, our health care system has issues (much like the US is facing), but everyone has health care here. I left the hospital with a 0 bill like everyone else in my situation would. Sure higher taxes and longer wait times for some things.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:13 AM

There are about 5 million new citizens in the United States and most of them have not had any medical care their whole life so they are in need of medical care.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:22 AM
Veteran member

I share your pain - I’m looking for one now. Might need to be less picky of your choice of neurologists. Just pick one of the ones that have Healthgrade reviews of 2 stars and received their medical training from some third world country. Find plenty of them. Has the OP checked some of the better 3 star non-teaching hospitals across the state? Or check the hospital ratings and settle for one that has a 2 star rating like The Villages or Leesburg. (Maybe our local and state government might put more emphasis on how to make it attractive to bring quality healthcare to Florida?)
Closed Thread

Tags
neurologist, medical, provider, appointment, offered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.