New vegan recipe book - Yes food tastes great

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Sage
Default New vegan recipe book - Yes food tastes great

Forks Over Knives – The Cookbook arrives two weeks before its official release date and is now available for immediate shipping on ForksOverKnives.com.

The book, authored by Del Sroufe, contains more than 300 classic and unexpected recipes from around the world. Further, all recipes are vegan, oil-free, and virtually all are low-fat.

Try Mushroom Stroganoff!

“There are a growing number of people adopting a healthy plant-based lifestyle,” said Brian Wendel, founder of Forks Over Knives. “Chef Del and his collaborators have created a wide array of choices for those who insist on exciting flavors and hearty meals.”

Also read some of the comments in the link above.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Forks-Over-Knives-Cookbook-Plant-Based/dp/1615190619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343901809&sr=8-1&keywords=forks+over+knives+cookbook"]Amazon[/ame] has it it for just $10.99.

You can eat all you want, not gain but lose weight and get healthy on this diet. You may even enjoy living your dream longer.

For the naysayers that have posted here that a vegan diet is bland or tasteless give it a look see, U owe it to your body.

The Villages Florida

Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Well, I'd like some of that mushroom stroganoff RIGHT NOW!!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Forks Over Knives – The Cookbook arrives two weeks before its official release date and is now available for immediate shipping on ForksOverKnives.com.

Amazon has it it for just $10.99.

The Villages Florida .
I've ordered it. Thanks Jimbo. ($12.24 if you are in Canada and order from Amazon.ca.)
Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Also available for Kindle for $9.99 - to be delivered to your Kindle on 8/16. There is also a book entitled "Forks Over Knives" which must go into the vegan lifestyle in more depth than the cookbook. BTW, that's only $6.99 for the Kindle.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Smile Forks over Knives

I have the book Forks over Knives: The Companion to the Feature Documentary Forks over Knives It was published in 2011 and has 125 recipes, as well as a description of the diet and its benefits (to people as well as to the environment). The one you just got must be a newer edition that has more recipes.

Okay, I have to admit that I've had mine a few months and have yet to try any of the recipes. But reading your description of what a vegan diet can do for you is getting me motivated!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Sage

Be mindful that you will feel the difference in as little as 3-4 weeks.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default thanks

for the thread. I will buy the cookbook. I have been trying to go Vegan for several weeks ( after readin gEat to Live...am feeling better with more energy but do find it really hard. My husband does not want anything to do with it....so I need fast and easy recipes for me since I am cooking a different meal for him or am modifying his so that I can skip the meat and animal products and still have enough to satisfy me.

Also, have to learn to anticipate. For example took the grandkids to the zoo and was there for lunch and there were no Vegan choices and the salad looked extremely sad and old. Just sayin need to anticipate but in my defense I did make sure the grandkids and hubby were taken care of !
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Sage

Don't be concerned, he will notice the difference in you soon enough

He'll come around tasting the new dishes.
You can't force this on anyone, they have to want try it for themselves.

There is a preconceived notion that vegan recipes are bland and tasteless, this book should put that notion to rest.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm ordering the kindle edition tonight. Hopefully I'll not only read it but actually use the recipes. Thanks Jimbo.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Veteran member
Default Fyi

If you check out Amazon.com, you can search through the index of the book and see all the recipes that are in the book so you have a idea of what might be in it.

LW888
Old 08-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregeory View Post
it helps in losing and managing body weight.
If you're overweight for your height and body frame, the weight loss is something you really need not manage or think about so much as it's kinda automatic.

When you reach the desired weight it will remain there with a low body mass index.

And enjoy shopping for new clothing.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregeory View Post

.... will definitely order my copy after this post as vegan food has more nutrition value then cooked food
Jimbo Question
Is Vegan food the same thing as a raw-food diet?
If you eat a "plant-based" diet, is the nutrition lost in cooking?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Sage

Well all the nutrition isn't lost in cooking but a small degree.

We think cooked is safer than raw in general.

To get the most nutritional value from the vegetables you eat, you should minimize the cooking time of vegetables to just what is necessary to enjoy them. Several types of vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower, can be eaten raw, doing away with any issues cooking might cause.

However, cooking vegetables can also add some nutritional benefits not found in raw vegetables. Researchers in a 2008 study published in the “British Journal of Nutrition” tested nutrient levels in 198 subjects who adhered to a raw-food-only diet. They found the subjects had normal levels of vitamin A and high levels of beta-carotene. However, nearly 80 percent had below-average levels of lycopene, a carotenoid that is a strong antioxidant.

Boiling is the preferred method of cooking certain types of vegetables. A 2008 study in “The Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry” found that boiling carrots and zucchini increased total carotenoids and lutein levels. Fill up a large saucepan and allow the water to boil. Add salt to the water, if desired. Boil your vegetables until just tender. If boiled too long, they will lose nutrients

Steaming is a healthy way to prepare your fresh vegetables. An easy way to steam vegetables is to use a steaming basket. Place the vegetables in a steaming basket in a pot containing approximately 2 inches of boiling water. Cover with a lid. The steam from the water will help to soften and cook the vegetables without overcooking them. Steaming certain vegetables helps to retain more antioxidants than other methods of cooking, including boiling

Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Sage
Smile

I have never used recipies for my vegan diet because I couldn't find any book that I liked when I got started 6 years ago. Plus the fact that I'm not that attracted to recipies because they always call for spices that I don't normally use. But this book is of interest to me so I intend to look it over when it comes to Barns & Noble. Thanks, Jimbo, for bringing it to my attention.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.