News About Medicare Supplement Changes

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Sage
Default News About Medicare Supplement Changes

I received a mailing from my Medicare Supplement Plan company. This is part of it:

"While there are government-required changes coming to Medicare Supplement in 2020, these changes will not impact current insured members like you.

People who become newly eligible for Medicare Part A on or after January of 2020 will no longer be able to purchase Plans C or F.

There will be no new Medicare Supplement plans offered in 2020 that cover the Part B deductible.

If you are currently enrolled in Plan F, your current plan will not be impacted and your plan will continue to cover the Part B deductible for as long as you keep it.

Also, Plans C and F will still be available for purchase for those who are eligible for Medicare prior to 2020."
Old 09-14-2016, 09:55 AM

It strikes me you best think twice about giving up any of the Medicare Supplement Plans, particularly Plan F, in favor of an Advantage Plan. My understanding is once you do, if you can't answer a number of health questions positively, if you have to reapply for a Medicare Supplement because your Advantage Plan becomes too restrictive or expensive , you are out, and can't get back in to the Supplement system. Your red, white and blue Medicare card and the associated right to buy a Medicare Supplement Plan is " gold " in the event of serious illness; and contrary to what is said about the Advantage Plans, there is nothing of value in life which is " free ". This is my understanding of the way the Medicare system works and I do ask if there are any experts out there who know differently, that they please correct this post.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Sage

I had questions about this so I just Googled it. Congress has mandated that Plans C and F will not be available for new applicants starting in 2020 because C and F pay the yearly deductible to the provider. In its infinite wisdom Congress has mandated that if the patient is forced to pay the deductible every year, he or she will think twice before going to the doctor, thereby lessening the strain to the Medicare system. To me, that doesn't mean that supplemental insurance will not be available, it's just that new enrollees will not have C or F as options.

Last edited by Carla B; 09-14-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Looked up the answer.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:16 AM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
It strikes me you best think twice about giving up any of the Medicare Supplement Plans, particularly Plan F, in favor of an Advantage Plan. My understanding is once you do, if you can't answer a number of health questions positively, if you have to reapply for a Medicare Supplement because your Advantage Plan becomes too restrictive or expensive , you are out, and can't get back in to the Supplement system. Your red, white and blue Medicare card and the associated right to buy a Medicare Supplement Plan is " gold " in the event of serious illness; and contrary to what is said about the Advantage Plans, there is nothing of value in life which is " free ". This is my understanding of the way the Medicare system works and I do ask if there are any experts out there who know differently, that they please correct this post.
You are exactly correct. I was an outpatient precertification nurse for UHC in Ohio in the mid-90's when their Medicare Advantage plan came out. Those salespersons' cubicles were one row over from mine and I could overhear what they would tell older folks. I wanted to shout "Don't believe them!" when they were espousing the great benefits of their plans. The poor people didn't know that UHC could deny benefits (d/t lack of medical necessity, according to them) that they would have under regular Medicare.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
You are exactly correct. I was an outpatient precertification nurse for UHC in Ohio in the mid-90's when their Medicare Advantage plan came out. Those salespersons' cubicles were one row over from mine and I could overhear what they would tell older folks. I wanted to shout "Don't believe them!" when they were espousing the great benefits of their plans. The poor people didn't know that UHC could deny benefits (d/t lack of medical necessity, according to them) that they would have under regular Medicare.

It's so sad that many villagers are being tricked and coerced into swallowing this medicare advantage scheme. Worse yet, some posters are encouraging their fellow villagers to consider this scheme.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:14 PM

So, starting in 2020 there will be no new people enrolled in Plan F. Those that remain will be getting older and more costly to insure hence rates will rise, the insurance companies not being in business to lose money. At what point does the Plan F premium costs become too high?
Have some time to kill? Google 'medicare changes in 2017', then 'medicare changes in 2020', finally 'medicare changes in 2022'. The 2020 changes hit the supplements, the 2022 changes hit the Advantage plans. Read enough and you find the common culprit is Obamacare.
Feel better about working and paying Medicare taxes all these years?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:55 PM
Sage

I think "working and paying Medicare taxes all those years got us Part A only." Part B is a different story.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:15 PM

Am I reading that Part C will not be available to new enrollees in 2020 ? Isn't Part C the Advantage plan. I remember early on 2012 when TVH system was starting up the rumor was that MA was going by the way side but I guess it got revived. I have Part F and will keep it as long as I can afford it but I expect the Insurance Companies to force us out thru price increases in time.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 09-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
Am I reading that Part C will not be available to new enrollees in 2020? Isn't Part C the Advantage plan. <snip>
No, the context of the OP here is the Medicare Supplement Plan C.

You are referring to Medicare Part C.

Yes, this IS confusing!
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, plan, supplement, part, plans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.