News about Quackbuster Stephen Barrett

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I would have explained it sooner if I had been given the chance. The statistics in his book don't necessarily disagree with CDC statistics, as far as I can tell.

As far as profit: Those who head the CDC probably make far more money than Gary Null. Should we discredit CDC doctors for making a lot of money ? "Center for Disease Control" is an impressive title too. So what?

Are you against "catchy" titles? If you write a really good book and nobody reads it because it has a dull title, what good it that? It wouldn't be very smart of the authors if they go through a lot of trouble and no one buys the book.

Is a book written for profit a bad thing necessarily? And in this case they have to split the money between 4 doctors. How about our personal physicians. Don't they make a profit off of every office visit? Is that bad?
Can we believe them when they say we need to come back for a follow-up exam?
When were you denied the chance to explain anything? Did one of our members come to your house and steal your keyboard?

Who is Betty Martini?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Sage
Default The Complete Encyclopedia of Natural Healing by Gary Null Ph.D

Out of curiosity I checked out this book from the Belvedere Library to see just how bad it is.

In the very beginning he has a section on "How to Use Alternative Therapies Safely"

Here are a few of his statements/suggestions:

1) Get diagnosed by a conventional physician to be sure you're not missing anything.

2) Always weigh the risks and benefits of any approach.

3) Just because it's 'natural' doesn't mean it's safe.

4) If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

Some of his advice on treating cancer:

"Antioxidant supplements prevent cells from becoming cancerous and can increase a patients tolerance for chemotherapy and radiation;...."

This indicates that he is not against conventional treatments for cancer.

About AIDS:
"Researchers now seem hopeful that new drug combinations can keep the disease under control, and this approach does seem to be helping some patients. At this point, though, no one knows the long-term effects of these drugs. What we do know is that long-term survivors do not rely totally on pharmaceuticals."

Once again, he's not against conventional treatments, he's recommending a balanced approach of medication and nutrition.

This doesn't mean I agree with everything he recommends, but it's not dangerous as long as people remember to take his advice and consult with their PCP first.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.