Night Vision Problem

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Sage
Default Night Vision Problem

I have noticed in the past 6 months that I am starting to have a night vision problem. I was given glasses with no tinting that brought my vision to 20/20 in both eyes. It helps somewhat but I still see lights that are star shape and too bright to the point of being blinded. I look to the right as much as possible to not catch the full impact of oncoming headlights.

I was wondering if others have experienced this problem and when is it so bad that one cannot drive at night?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Sage

You'd better see an ophthalmologist. I have night problems with my left eye and was told I'm developing a cataract. May soon bite the bullet and make an apointment.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Sage

Sounds like a cataract to me, too. An eye exam should be scheduled. Early cataracts can cause those symptoms and yet not decrease acuity below 20/20.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Sounds like a cataract to me, too. An eye exam should be scheduled. Early cataracts can cause those symptoms and yet not decrease acuity below 20/20.
Thanks Shimpy and mikeod for the tip as my last eyetest didn't reveal cataracts and I believe it was performed by an opthalmologist.

Couldn't hurt to get another opinion from a different doctor.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I have noticed in the past 6 months that I am starting to have a night vision problem. I was given glasses with no tinting that brought my vision to 20/20 in both eyes. It helps somewhat but I still see lights that are star shape and too bright to the point of being blinded. I look to the right as much as possible to not catch the full impact of oncoming headlights.

I was wondering if others have experienced this problem and when is it so bad that one cannot drive at night?
I teach techniques one can use to help with night time driving...But let me say some people seem to think the more or the brighter lights they have the safer they are and they make it bad on other people looking at these bright lights....Saying that we are taught to turn down all the dash lights to make our eyes recieve less light...Also keep your eyes moving from side to side not focusing on any one object....Aim high, meaning look 5 to 8 seconds ahead....It helps...Other then that have your eyes checked, the previous posters are correct......And to the rest of you who have those stupid add on fog lights , shut them off on a clear night, no need for them....
Old 11-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Eternal Member

I had the stars on headlights. traffic lights and rear brake lights. I had halos around the light posts in the yards. I had the cataracts removed and everything is good now.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Platinum member

There is a cure for that, see your eye care person.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Default Night driving difficulty

I had the same problem - it was cataracts. Just had both eyes done and now have 20-15 vision and don't need glasses for other than reading and computer. Both done in New Jersey. I am not familiar with the medical facilities in Florida - would get references I think.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgranny235 View Post
I had the same problem - it was cataracts. Just had both eyes done and now have 20-15 vision and don't need glasses for other than reading and computer. Both done in New Jersey. I am not familiar with the medical facilities in Florida - would get references I think.
Your first post. to TOTV. Keep on posting.

Thank you for all that have responded. I am now on Medicare and will see a really good doctor to see what can be done other than glasses. If it is a cataract, I will have it taken care of.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.