A Nightmare at TV Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2022, 08:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts
Default A Nightmare at TV Hospital

Since moving here 7 years ago, are the rumors I hear true about TV hospital is run very poorly?
It's overcrowded, dirty, and offers a lot of unprofessional care?

I was there once for a visit a friend and asking in case I need medical care in the future.

If true, maybe driving to Ocala might be a wise choice.

Your Input please.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

The hospital is expected to improve with the newer ownership but I have not heard of any improvements over the past couple years.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Recent rumors or rumors over 7 years?
Old 11-09-2022, 05:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Bottom line: use the Leesburg hospital.

All of Florida's retirement belt sees a surge in population during winter. Those surges place pressure on the supporting infrastructure including hospitals.

Many of the hospital horror stories come from this timeframe. Ocala also is in the retiree belt, albeit not as intense as TV.

The good news is there is similar statistical 'age smoothing' demographics population in Leesburg and it's hospital, similar to Ocala. By age smoothing, I mean less of a retiree surge who need more medical care. The newest housing areas are almost equal distant to Leesburg as to the TV hospital.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Bottom line: use the Leesburg hospital.

All of Florida's retirement belt sees a surge in population during winter. Those surges place pressure on the supporting infrastructure including hospitals.

Many of the hospital horror stories come from this timeframe. Ocala also is in the retiree belt, albeit not as intense as TV.

The good news is there is similar statistical 'age smoothing' demographics population in Leesburg and it's hospital, similar to Ocala. By age smoothing, I mean less of a retiree surge who need more medical care. The newest housing areas are almost equal distant to Leesburg as to the TV hospital.
Thanks, something to keep in mind for the future
Old 11-09-2022, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

It’s not a rumor, it’s real. I have experienced the horrible nightmare. And it’s not limited to the busiest times of the year, happened in early June.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

i think all the medical facilities run into trouble @ times, just from the arrival of new citizens. we are growing fast, idk if the hospitals can handle them all. the addition of a new hosp. is a welcome sight
Old 11-09-2022, 10:27 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

hospitals in Ocala, including Advent are probably better than TV or Leesburg, but if you really need an emergency room I would use TV, have had good care there twice when I needed it.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

I would go to Shands in Gainesville if it was life or death.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

My wife has been treated numerous times at the Leesburg hospital emergency room. She and I have no complaints with their service. There was only one problem, she had to stay in the emergency room all night before they had a room in the hospital for her. The hospital was full of Covid patients and there just wasn't an available room. She has been admitted 3 times to the hospital and the care and compassion of the staff was as good as any hospital we have had experience with.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It’s not a rumor, it’s real. I have experienced the horrible nightmare. And it’s not limited to the busiest times of the year, happened in early June.
I second that motion, been there done that, won't do it again.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Since moving here 7 years ago, are the rumors I hear true about TV hospital is run very poorly?
It's overcrowded, dirty, and offers a lot of unprofessional care?

I was there once for a visit a friend and asking in case I need medical care in the future.

If true, maybe driving to Ocala might be a wise choice.

Your Input please.
We knew about the (allegedly) relatively poor quality of medical care in TV years before we moved here. It is all relative however. We moved here from near Rochester, MN, and after having been served for years through the Mayo Clinic, everything else is going to come up short.

It hasn’t been all bad though. Word-of-mouth led me to doctoring originally with Premier Medical Services in TV, which was NOT a pleasant experience. My doctor seemed competent enough but the support staff managed to screw things up numerous times, to the point I told my wife that I’d be surprised if everything went RIGHT at a visit. But I switched to Cleveland Medical Care and things seem to be better, though I’m still withholding judgment on that. On a more positive vein, dental and ophthalmologist services have been excellent.

As to the TV hospital, I’ve never been there, so I cannot comment on it. Several people I’ve talked to though have had some pretty sketchy experiences with them however, so in an Emergency I’d probably go to Ocala or Leesburg—if I have that choice. I have heard however that the orthopedics dept. at The Villages hospital is first-rate, and as will be probably needing another knee replacement in the near future I might be finding out firsthand.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:55 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Only been to visit friends. Shands twice, Leesburg twice and TVR once. All were clean and my observation was Leesburg and TVR were short staffed. Confirmed by the patients. Shands seemed to have more medical personnel, however, being a teaching hospital makes a difference.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
All were clean and my observation was Leesburg and TVR were short staffed. Confirmed by the patients. Shands seemed to have more medical personnel, however, being a teaching hospital makes a difference.
That's because people don't go to Shands for a toothache or a hangnail. If only people with a real emergency went to the ER, The Villages hospital would not have to live with the negativity.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:48 PM

Great conversations and insight. Keep in mind that all hospitals should have some sort of professional standards accreditation and it should be visibly posted for public view. If you have an issue with the facility you can contact the accrediting body and report your concern. You can also get online to find out info about hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, etc, to see if their accredited, what their score, etc, and what problems they've been reported for. You should be checking up on your doctors, medical facilities, etc, to ensure you're getting the best care for you and loved ones. Stay informed and stay well!
Closed Thread

Tags
care, true, hospital, visit, medical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.