No health insurance

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2019, 01:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts
Default Answer is below

Gigi,

The root of your question is how can I get my blood pressure pills.

Use an overseas pharmacy that does not require a script. Most of the "Canadian" pharmacies are in fact in India.

Break for all doubters:. Many if not most of the generic 4.00/month drugs are made overseas.

The types of drugs that you can get are generic cheap, old, well known generics such as statins (lipitor Cholesterol). No narcotics, no advanced drugs.

The economics of this are, let's say for a statin which are 10.00 for 90 days in the states, 40.00 a year. On these sites they would be, say 100.00. it gets shipped from India. They make a high margin from this. They are motivated to have you repeat order which keeps the counterfeits down. Think about this they just sold a drug that cost them 16.00 and 1.00 to ship for 100.00

How do you find these pharmacies? Use a non Google search engine - name of drug, no prescription.

Now is this a bad idea, it is similar to going to Mexico. It is not the safest approach, but it is better than no meds at all.

No doubters, the vast majority of shipments are not seized by the postal service. And no you will not get a fine or have the DEA bust down your door for some blood pressure pills. Just like doing the same thing from Mexico.

Last edited by Toymeister; 12-29-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
#1) my BP is NOT untreated.
#2) when my time is up, it's up. Even with insurance, I will not take extraordinary measures to stay alive, so no need for insurance.
#3) you're getting far away from the question that was asked.
Huh??? I can not believe I'm reading this.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
I try to be careful, obviously. I hope my 401k assets are protected. I would lose the equity in my home, I'm sure. Cancer, I would do nothing. When my time is up, it's up. Boy, you all worry alot. I actually dont worry about these things. Advertising is meant to scare you into worrying excessively, I know. BUT, I know these things could happen.
I still can't believe what I'm reading!!!
Old 12-29-2019, 06:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRetired View Post
I don't know where the OP lives, but maybe she should come rent for a month and spend her time visiting doctor offices to find out if they take cash patients. She obviously has a strong anti-insurance opinion, so she doesn't need or want insurance information. She says she has funds and can afford future treatment (that's debatable, but moot at this point.) If she wants to take her chances on her health future and chooses to pay until she's broke, that's her choice. Maybe her doctor was mad because she wanted to go out of the country for the medications. She apparently didn't follow-up on the reason and assumes it was "kickback". Only "kickback" I've ever seen is free lunch for office staff once in a while from a drug rep and I don't know that those are even done any longer. I would think that an urgent-care facility would not prescribe a yearly refill, but I've never gone to one for that. Personally, I guess I'd prefer to come to The Villages and enjoy retirement instead of wondering where to get health care. But in the interest of being sure, she can research by calling/visiting offices and do it before she moves permanently. Her choices in health care and insurance have nothing to do with whether she can afford to live in The Villages--that would be another whole topic. I'd get a refill before I moved and then I'd have a year to look into it. Worse case scenario is she has to go back to her current place once a year and get the prescription refilled.
Funny......I imagine the OP is a male.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I believe I can get them, thanks! Everyone was very helpful! A flat fee per month of less than $100 is better than $1000. It fits my situation. That is being a good business person. How do you get progressive outta that, pray tell. Isnt it being a good capitalist? Using the market and competition and all? Sorry, I dont want to fund your excessive testing....
Now I'm confused, It sounded like you are totally against getting health insurance. In this post it sounds like you are willing to pay a small amount of like $100. Are you willing to or not ? If yes there are ways to get a policy through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) even if you have a substantial amount of money. I was in the same position as you paying $1600/month before Medicare and was able to get better coverage through ACA for $100/month. Takes a little effort and planning.

Also for all of us please make it clear is this thread about finding a cash only doc near TV or about your crusade against health insurance ? If your tempted to answer both please prioritize which one is more important to you so as the moderator requested we stay on subject.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage

Yes, eligibility for an Obamacare subsidy and the amount of the subsidy is not dependent on how much money you have, unless that money generates reportable income in excess of the MAGI maximum (about $65K). They only look at your MAGI for the subsidy calculation. As strange as it may sound, you could have a large net worth and still get a large subsidy depending on how your net worth is invested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Now I'm confused, It sounded like you are totally against getting health insurance. In this post it sounds like you are willing to pay a small amount of like $100. Are you willing to or not ? If yes there are ways to get a policy through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) even if you have a substantial amount of money. I was in the same position as you paying $1600/month before Medicare and was able to get better coverage through ACA for $100/month. Takes a little effort and planning.

Also for all of us please make it clear is this thread about finding a cash only doc near TV or about your crusade against health insurance ? If your tempted to answer both please prioritize which one is more important to you so as the moderator requested we stay on subject.

Last edited by biker1; 12-29-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Since Op asked for a physicians who take cash, but the thread has turned into a witch hunt that OP doesn’t believe in health insurance. I get her point of view.

Both of us have been in the medical field, combined 90 years of service, I get the OPs thoughts.

I maybe having surgery, the cost to my insurance will be $98,487.00 my deductible is $8,000.00 plus 20% copay.

So my insurance from the hospital I work for, will run me about $11,678.00.

However I can use the same facility, with the same hand picked staff, and pay $7,657, CASH.

If you have deductible, and you need a script, or a device ask how much it is for cash, it may save you some money
Old 12-29-2019, 08:07 AM

This is an example of why pre-existing clauses are necessary in health insurance. When this person gets gravely ill they will either: 1. Show up at an ER as an uninsured, charity patient (meaning we all pay) or 2. get insurance under Obamacare (meaning those of us who have been paying premiums monthly our entire life, subsidize their care).
Old 12-29-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure what the issue is. There a lots of doctors in The Villages. You call one, make an appointment, and pay them in cash. If you don't have any money, you can apply for Medicaid.
If you don’t have money why are you moving to the villages?
Old 12-29-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I've tried a couple of doctors but they wont take me without health insurance. This situation is keeping me from moving. I also need the actual perscription as I send it out of the country for filling.
For good reason
Old 12-29-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, you are taking a chance going out of the country. There are several other options that MIGHT work, Good Rx, and a few other recently advertised, as well as just asking the druggist. I just had a scare with BP medications as several were recalled due to possible carcinogen the version I was taking was NOT recalled as the MFG was different, I have no idea how you would be able to determine this with out of the country supplier. Good luck with your quest.
Not only are you taking a chance, you are being irresponsible.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post

I just want my meds but basically I feel pressured(by medical community) to have some sort of insurance. Thanks for info on ACA. I know I've had friends who control their withdrawals from 401k that had gotten some good deals through ACA when it first came out but my impression is the rates have really gone up. However, I dont see myself fighting a serious illness. I just dont have it in me to be worth worrying about having insurance. I've watched various family members do this and it's just not for me.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
For good reason
Are they afraid I wont do the prescribed care and sue them or what? Please elaborate.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
If you don’t have money why are you moving to the villages?
Cause I want to be homeless among the wealthy of society. I mean really, wouldnt that be the ultimate homelessness?
Old 12-29-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Since Op asked for a physicians who take cash, but the thread has turned into a witch hunt that OP doesn’t believe in health insurance. I get her point of view.

Both of us have been in the medical field, combined 90 years of service, I get the OPs thoughts.

I maybe having surgery, the cost to my insurance will be $98,487.00 my deductible is $8,000.00 plus 20% copay.

So my insurance from the hospital I work for, will run me about $11,678.00.

However I can use the same facility, with the same hand picked staff, and pay $7,657, CASH.

If you have deductible, and you need a script, or a device ask how much it is for cash, it may save you some money
Wow, interesting! Insurance appears to need to be done away with.
Closed Thread

Tags
meds, blood, insurance, pressure, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.