Nurse Practitioner vs Doctor

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage

I once waited 3 hrs in an ER with my 3 yr old who'd badly stubbed his great toe (it was broken) only to be told by the doctor (back then they didn't have NP) that all they could do is wrap it. That he should wear a sturdy shoe and it would heal on it's own. To this day his toe is crooked. Our daughter has broken a couple of her toes as an adult and it was the same for her.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I once waited 3 hrs in an ER with my 3 yr old who'd badly stubbed his great toe (it was broken) only to be told by the doctor (back then they didn't have NP) that all they could do is wrap it. That he should wear a sturdy shoe and it would heal on it's own. To this day his toe is crooked. Our daughter has broken a couple of her toes as an adult and it was the same for her.
When I stopped drinking my broken toes stopped happening.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Nurse practitioners have doctorate degrees
Not all. A Masters degree is required
Old 02-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thanks for the article. I supposed that the NP has more medical education than a PA but maybe that's not true. I still don't understand what educational background the PA has to have. Could an English major become a PA?
Old 02-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Thanks for the article. I supposed that the NP has more medical education than a PA but maybe that's not true. I still don't understand what educational background the PA has to have. Could an English major become a PA?
My oldest niece graduated from the PA program at Duke last year. She is now working in the ER at a hospital near Durham, NC. Her Bachelor's Degree was in Biology, and after getting her Bachelor's in Biology she worked in a hospital in Madison, WI for 2 years before going to Duke. She said most of her classmates at Duke had some kind of medical/hospital background (nursing, lab work, etc.). From what my niece has told me, you have to have a pretty strong science background as an undergraduate to get admitted into a PA program. So an English major would probably have to take that into consideration -- getting a double major in a science field if they wanted to get into a PA program.

At Duke, the first year PA program is mostly classroom. The second year is almost entirely working with patients in various part of a hospital or clinic. In her second year at Duke, my niece spent 5 months at a clinic in a medically underserved area of western North Carolina and 6 weeks working in a hospital in Tanzania, in addition to her clinicals in a couple of hospitals in the Durham area.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 02-17-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
What is the name and location of the Urgent Care facility staffed by an MD?

I have been misdiagnosed by an NP twice. I won't be seen by one if I know how to avoid it.
Urgent care in Lake Sumter Landing near Winn-Dixie is staffed with an MD.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
My oldest niece graduated from the PA program at Duke last year. She is now working in the ER at a hospital near Durham, NC. Her Bachelor's Degree was in Biology, and after getting her Bachelor's in Biology she worked in a hospital in Madison, WI for 2 years before going to Duke. She said most of her classmates at Duke had some kind of medical/hospital background (nursing, lab work, etc.). From what my niece has told me, you have to have a pretty strong science background as an undergraduate to get admitted into a PA program. So an English major would probably have to take that into consideration -- getting a double major in a science field if they wanted to get into a PA program.

At Duke, the first year PA program is mostly classroom. The second year is almost entirely working with patients in various part of a hospital or clinic. In her second year at Duke, my niece spent 5 months at a clinic in a medically underserved area of western North Carolina and 6 weeks working in a hospital in Tanzania, in addition to her clinicals in a couple of hospitals in the Durham area.
In my opinion, this issue is really not about how much education you get. When someone decides to became a medical doctor, they are dedicating their life to a profession of healing people and to constantly learn and strive to be the best they can be. Their profession becomes their identity. It is not just a job. Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't believe that nurse practitioners or physician assistants have the same lifelong dedication as medical doctors. I would rather be treated by a medical doctor.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Veteran member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Urgent care in Lake Sumter Landing near Winn-Dixie is staffed with an MD.
This is also true of the urgent care on Rt. 44, across from Brownwood.

A physician's assistant had to suture the tip of one of my fingers with 15 incredibly small stitches and she did an excellent job.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:18 PM
Veteran member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, this issue is really not about how much education you get. When someone decides to became a medical doctor, they are dedicating their life to a profession of healing people and to constantly learn and strive to be the best they can be. Their profession becomes their identity. It is not just a job. Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't believe that nurse practitioners or physician assistants have the same lifelong dedication as medical doctors. I would rather be treated by a medical doctor.
I agree with you somewhat.

Anyone who gets a degree from a university is pretty much dedicating their working career to the profession in which they received their degree.

Regarding the medical field, I believe that most doctors enter into that profession because of the money they can make in their practice.
I'm not speaking about doctors who are doing research, etc., Yes -- THOSE doctors are dedicated!
Regular medical doctors? Sorry, but not so much and they are few and far between.
To most of them, while they endeavor to do the right thing, it is just a job!

I also believe that physicians' assistants and nurse practitioners are as dedicated as most doctors.
Most of them are women. Could that be the reason you don't think they are as dedicated?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
I also believe that physicians' assistants and nurse practitioners are as dedicated as most doctors.
The NP working Saturday at Paramount Urgent Care on CR 466 was professional and seemed competent.
She wrote a prescription for an Ultrasound; and I believe most MDs would have done the same.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Gold member
Default Wow medical care

What we expect, what we get and perhaps why.

You need a doctor. Who do you ask? Your golfing buddy? The AMA?

If, you call the AMA they will tell you A LIST of doctors who have passed their test. THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU HOW MANY MISTAKES THEY HAVE MADE ON PEOPLE WITH EXACTLY THE SAME MEDICAL ISSUE YOU NEED TREATED.
Those records are sealed.

Batting average? Some doctors will take only the best EASIEST, most likely to recover patients so that they can claim the best results.

The facts are that 80% of all medical care is paid for by either the government or insurance. You/we have no reason to look for a less costly option. Many of us are on medicare. Medicare is price fixed. They tell the doctor what he/she/it can charge. Price fixing leads to and assures mediocraty. Medicare expects your doctor to see a patient every 15 minutes. Imagine that endless grind.

RE: OP a broken toe
A doctor should BASED ON EXPERIENCE, simply looking at it know if anything more than taping it WILL HELP. X-Rays are they needed or simply done to prevent future EXPENSIVE lawsuits.

Findling a doctor you like AND TRUST. That is the hard part. My doctor had a small friendly practice. He has expanded the number of patients he sees. PROBABLY DUE TO ECONOMICS. Now you deal with his nurse practitioner.
She can and does spend far more time with you. The doctor, does a fly by the door. I ASSUME. I HOPE-IF SHE SAW ANY ISSUE SHE WOULD CALL THE DOCTORS ATTENTION TO IT.

Here in the villages we have a problem called SNOWBIRDS.
The population is up ?????? at least 20%. We might WANT but there is no way it can be justified, to have sufficient medical staff for the peak times. What are they to do when population returns to,"normal."
Old 02-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The NP working Saturday at Paramount Urgent Care on CR 466 was professional and seemed competent.
She wrote a prescription for an Ultrasound; and I believe most MDs would have done the same.
The last time I went to Paramount the male PA misdiagnosed my condition and prescribed a mild pain killer. That night I went to the ER, where the Triage RN glanced at it and diagnosed it correctly as cellulitis.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdr View Post
Had nothing but bad experiences with 441 Urgent Care at multiple locations. Both locations we visited were staffed by young unexperienced, Nurse Practitioner with horrible snarky attitudes. I now found an excellent Urgent Care facility staffed by an MD who specializes in Emergency Medicine who spent almost an hour with us. I wont go anywhere else.
I went to the Urgent Care at The Unova facility on Rolling Acres Rd. Staffed by Dr Miller with an expertise in Emergency Medicine.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:38 AM

I agree that the pain is real BUT all it takes is some tape and patience! You’re right, over reaction. I’m healing from a broken baby toe right now and just able to wear my running shoes. Back on the road to putting on some miles. 😅
Old 02-19-2018, 06:32 AM

Name and address of the excellent treatment?
Closed Thread

Tags
young, practitioner, doctor, nurse, tape

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.