Nutrition: People are being dumbed down by industry and media

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Sage
Smile Nutrition: People are being dumbed down by industry and media

To a certain extent, people are being dumbed down by the food industry and the media. Here's an example: In central Florida, there's a doctor of nutrition whose job it is to inform people about nutrition. She shows up on various radio programs as a guest to talk about nutrition and health. The most important piece of information she seeks to communicate to the public is that, "there is no such thing as bad food; it's all about portion sizes."

Over all the many years that I heard her deliver that message, I never heard her say who her employer was. Then one day I learned from a newspaper source that she is employed by a large supermarket chain. Is it any wonder why she would deliver the above message for her supermarket employer? About 3/4 of the food sold in supermarkets is processed junk. And they hope to sell it.....the more the better.

Most dieticians will tell you the same thing. I once went to a lecture given by a dietician in The Villages. She also worked for a supermarket chain and insisted that there is no such thing as a "bad food". She said whether it's candy, white bread or sugary soda, it's okay as long as you can fit the calories into your daily allotment of calories.

So, people are drinking the supermarket cool aid. The food industry is telling us what we should think and people are falling for it. The idea of "moderation" was also started many years ago by the food industry and today just about everyone is on board with that concept.

Is it any wonder we have a problem with the growing numbers of people who are overweight and obese?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When you and I were young, dad went to work and mom stayed home and took care of things. She cleaned the house, sewed, ironed, washed, hung the clothes out, cooked, planted a garden, canned and baked.

Now two people go off to work, and the children who are too young for school go to day care. The same time and attention given to making a home and providing healthy meals is no longer there. Moms work long hours and fly all over the country, dads do too. The houses are not as clean and the meals are no longer home prepared.

You cannot fault a supermarket chain for selling what people want to buy and you can't blame everything on poor nutritional choices. There just isn't as much time and so people are grabbing things that are fast and easy and not good for you in the long run. Parents are working on their childrens morals and studies and having a little fun too. It isn't the same as it was.

I think your diet choices are interesting but just not something that you can talk most people into. They really aren't as good as you think they are in my humble opinion. I think I eat healthier. But I don't preach about it.

One of the biggest differences from back then to now is that nutrition isn't taught in school any more.

You haven't mentioned what your cholesterol numbers are and your bp and your vitamin D blood levels and and your thyroid test results. Do you have these things tested?

Good nutrition and a good physician and a great spouse and a place to live that encourages a lot of moving around is so good for all of us as we age.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think I eat healthier. But I don't preach about it.
Remember, this is the Medical and Health Discussion board. I don't preach, I discuss.

So, I guess this means you won't tell us what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner because you think it would be preaching? Oh, come on, this is not religion. You "preached" a long message as to why no one can help what they do, so you might as well go all the way and tell us what your diet consists of.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
When you and I were young, dad went to work and mom stayed home and took care of things. She cleaned the house, sewed, ironed, washed, hung the clothes out, cooked, planted a garden, canned and baked.

Now two people go off to work, and the children who are too young for school go to day care. The same time and attention given to making a home and providing healthy meals is no longer there. Moms work long hours and fly all over the country, dads do too. The houses are not as clean and the meals are no longer home prepared.

You cannot fault a supermarket chain for selling what people want to buy and you can't blame everything on poor nutritional choices. There just isn't as much time and so people are grabbing things that are fast and easy and not good for you in the long run. Parents are working on their childrens morals and studies and having a little fun too. It isn't the same as it was.

I think your diet choices are interesting but just not something that you can talk most people into. They really aren't as good as you think they are in my humble opinion. I think I eat healthier. But I don't preach about it.

One of the biggest differences from back then to now is that nutrition isn't taught in school any more.

You haven't mentioned what your cholesterol numbers are and your bp and your vitamin D blood levels and and your thyroid test results. Do you have these things tested?

Good nutrition and a good physician and a great spouse and a place to live that encourages a lot of moving around is so good for all of us as we age.
Great real world post Gracie. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a fantasy world.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quick question....how do you feel about probiotics? They're in the news lots lately.
Attached Images
probiotics-jpg 
Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Great real world post Gracie. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a fantasy world.
The real world example Gracie gave was for a young couple rushing around and too busy to prepare proper meals for the family. I'm not sure I completely buy it because there are healthier choices even for people who don't have the time to cook. And that doesn't explain the vast numbers of overweight and obese people living in the villages. Now that they have the time to cook their meals and exercise, what's their excuse? It seems they are not doing any better now than when they were running around raising a family. So how can it be blamed on the family and jobs?

Last edited by Villages PL; 06-05-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

While I was the gym this morning doing my cardio on an elliptical "The View" had a guest who is a trainer named Drew who has written a book "Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit" or something like that. Anyway, the guy went from a hard body at 190 something to about 265 lbs. by stopping training and eating a diet many Americans eat including a lot of starchy, fatty processed food such as macaroni and cheese, sugary foods and sodas and some fast food. He then dieted and trained back down to his previous condition. He says he wanted to see what his clients were dealing with in trying to lose weight and get into good physical condition. His personality changed for the worse according to his wife and he lost energy while fat.

As I understand it over 60% of Americans are now considerably overweight. The sugar, fats, excess salt and whitebread type carbohydrates are largely responsible along with a frequently stressful life which raises their cortisol levels and a sedentary lifestyle. Processed foods are loaded with salt. Restaurants frequently add sugar, butter and the like to make their food tasty. I thank the OP for pointing out we need to discover who is sponsoring a message before we choose to treat it as truthful and factual or not.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
While I was the gym this morning doing my cardio on an elliptical "The View" had a guest who is a trainer named Drew who has written a book "Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit" or something like that. Anyway, the guy went from a hard body at 190 something to about 265 lbs. by stopping training and eating a diet many Americans eat including a lot of starchy, fatty processed food such as macaroni and cheese, sugary foods and sodas and some fast food. He then dieted and trained back down to his previous condition. He says he wanted to see what his clients were dealing with in trying to lose weight and get into good physical condition. His personality changed for the worse according to his wife and he lost energy while fat.

As I understand it over 60% of Americans are now considerably overweight. The sugar, fats, excess salt and whitebread type carbohydrates are largely responsible along with a frequently stressful life which raises their cortisol levels and a sedentary lifestyle. Processed foods are loaded with salt. Restaurants frequently add sugar, butter and the like to make their food tasty. I thank the OP for pointing out we need to discover who is sponsoring a message before we choose to treat it as truthful and factual or not.
Just like posts on TOTV.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Quick question....how do you feel about probiotics? They're in the news lots lately.
It depends on your individual health status. Sometimes medications interfere
with colon health. Poor diet can be another cause. Or medications and diet combined etc..
Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Sage

Here we go again. Another pompous, pharisaical Food Police encyclical.

phar·i·sa·ical adj \-ˈsā-ə-kəl\

Definition of PHARISAICAL

: marked by hypocritical censorious self-righteousness

— phar·i·sa·ical·ly adverb
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
They really aren't as good as you think they are in my humble opinion.
Can you please give us your opinion as to why?

Quote:
I tell you my #'s chol 125, BP 110/71, vit D 53, t3&4's all within normal range
My wife's #'s are similar, both of us no longer take ANY meds.

Do I have these tested, yes and lot more, I don't pay for it, why not once they stick your vein a few more tubes.

Different tests quarterly semi annually etc.

we were inspired by Bill Clinton, when interviewed on CNN by Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
He follows Dr Dean Ornish, Dr. Esseltyn, Dr. Colin Campbell

Google any of those names

Villages PL or myself are not preaching anything and I take offense to that comment frankly.

If you wish to mitigate your risks of debilitating ailments which preclude you from enjoying the active lifestyle you desired by living here and enjoying your life in a healthy state of being at least have an open mind to understanding the benefits of vegetarian or vegan diets.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
[snip]
And that doesn't explain the vast numbers of overweight and obese people living in the villages. Now that they have the time to cook their meals and exercise, what's their excuse?
[snip]
they don't NEED an excuse...they DON'T want to...they DON''T have to...they DON'T care!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Bill...................we need over here.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:22 PM

I totally agree with what Villges PL has posted. Many Americans have such a poor diet and don't get enough exercise. Far to many people are obese with multiple health problems related to their obesity. As we all know there are many bad foods available to us... it is all about making healthy choices. Portion size is important as well as getting off the couch to exercise.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

I'm shocked by the rudeness of this comment. pooh asked Villages Pl a direct question and Villages Pl answered it, short and sweet. I enjoy what VillagesPl has been saying and we can all learn about things on this forum that we are unfamiliar with. We don't have to agrree with everyone but we should show respect.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.