Nutrition: People are being dumbed down by industry and media

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Bill...................we need over here.
Is it air popped?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Sage
Default Michelle Pfeiffer on Her New Vegan Diet

A long list of celebs have made the switch to a vegan diet due to concerns for their health. The documentary “Forks Over Knives” has played a big role, inspiring star after star to go plant-based including Ozzy Osbourne, Carrie Ann Inaba, Kristen Bell and Russell Brand. One of the most talked-about healthy vegans has been Bill Clinton, who ditched animal products after a number of cardiac problems and procedures.

The latest celeb to talk about their vegan diet is Michelle Pfeiffer, who opened up to Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN. In the appearance on “Piers Morgan Tonight,” which airs tonight at 9pm, Pfeiffer tells Gupta that she decided to try a vegan diet after watching CNN’s “The Last Heart Attack.” The special discussed plant-based diets as a possible way to prevent heart disease and other conditions.

“I was finishing up working on, I think it was ‘Dark Shadows.’ And I was watching CNN, and ‘The Last Heart Attack’ came on.” The actress describes herself as a “foodie,” but was hopeful after she heard Clinton wasn’t struggling with his vegan diet. “OK, Bill Clinton loves food, so there must be something to [veganism] that’s making him stick to it. And also, he’s smart, so he’s not going to do something unless he really thinks there’s some science behind it,” she said.

Pfeiffer also credits Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn‘s book “Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure” with informing her decision. “I just felt like…there was science behind it. And, you know, it was sort of irrefutable. … I couldn’t not listen to it. My father died from cancer, and the older you get, there’s a lot of disease around you. And you see people struggling with chronic disease. You see people dying with terminal illnesses. And if in any way …. this is true, then you kind of have to listen to it,” Pfeiffer said.

The actress says her health isn’t the only reason for the new diet. “Vanity is right under there,” she admits, “but I have to say that it’s a close second with wanting to live long.”
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I don't worry so much about any of this. I have an intensive workout at the gym 3 times a week, and look at food in terms of protein and vitamins and nutrients generally associated with them. I don't obsess about it. I pretty much eat anything I feel like eating, and try to eat things I know are mainly "empty" calories in moderation. Everything in moderation.

I don't ban delicious food from my diet for some notion of "bad nutrition". I just don't pig out on it.

Every so often you crave a good hot dog. When I do, I don't deny myself.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
A long list of celebs have made the switch to a vegan diet due to concerns for their health. The documentary “Forks Over Knives” has played a big role, inspiring star after star to go plant-based including Ozzy Osbourne, Carrie Ann Inaba, Kristen Bell and Russell Brand. One of the most talked-about healthy vegans has been Bill Clinton, who ditched animal products after a number of cardiac problems and procedures.

The latest celeb to talk about their vegan diet is Michelle Pfeiffer, who opened up to Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN. In the appearance on “Piers Morgan Tonight,” which airs tonight at 9pm, Pfeiffer tells Gupta that she decided to try a vegan diet after watching CNN’s “The Last Heart Attack.” The special discussed plant-based diets as a possible way to prevent heart disease and other conditions.

“I was finishing up working on, I think it was ‘Dark Shadows.’ And I was watching CNN, and ‘The Last Heart Attack’ came on.” The actress describes herself as a “foodie,” but was hopeful after she heard Clinton wasn’t struggling with his vegan diet. “OK, Bill Clinton loves food, so there must be something to [veganism] that’s making him stick to it. And also, he’s smart, so he’s not going to do something unless he really thinks there’s some science behind it,” she said.

Pfeiffer also credits Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn‘s book “Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure” with informing her decision. “I just felt like…there was science behind it. And, you know, it was sort of irrefutable. … I couldn’t not listen to it. My father died from cancer, and the older you get, there’s a lot of disease around you. And you see people struggling with chronic disease. You see people dying with terminal illnesses. And if in any way …. this is true, then you kind of have to listen to it,” Pfeiffer said.

The actress says her health isn’t the only reason for the new diet. “Vanity is right under there,” she admits, “but I have to say that it’s a close second with wanting to live long.”
Michelle Pfeiffer AND Bill Clinton? wow
Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When you and I were young, dad went to work and mom stayed home and took care of things. She cleaned the house, sewed, ironed, washed, hung the clothes out, cooked, planted a garden, canned and baked.

Now two people go off to work, and the children who are too young for school go to day care. The same time and attention given to making a home and providing healthy meals is no longer there. Moms work long hours and fly all over the country, dads do too. The houses are not as clean and the meals are no longer home prepared.

You cannot fault a supermarket chain for selling what people want to buy and you can't blame everything on poor nutritional choices. There just isn't as much time and so people are grabbing things that are fast and easy and not good for you in the long run. Parents are working on their childrens morals and studies and having a little fun too. It isn't the same as it was.

I think your diet choices are interesting but just not something that you can talk most people into. They really aren't as good as you think they are in my humble opinion. I think I eat healthier. But I don't preach about it.

One of the biggest differences from back then to now is that nutrition isn't taught in school any more.

You haven't mentioned what your cholesterol numbers are and your bp and your vitamin D blood levels and and your thyroid test results. Do you have these things tested?

Good nutrition and a good physician and a great spouse and a place to live that encourages a lot of moving around is so good for all of us as we age.
“Be curious, not judgmental.” – Walt Whitman
“I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious, self-righteous people around me.” – anonymous

When I was young my mom did not stay home. She and my dad both taught school. Yet, she not only worked, but she also took care of "things". She cleaned the house, sewed, ironed, washed, hung the clothes out (until she and dad saved enough money to buy a dryer), cooked, baked, had a huge flower garden, and mothered her 3 daughters with love, respect, and devotion.

Quote..."Now two people go off to work, and the children who are too young for school go to day care. The same time and attention given to making a home and providing healthy meals is no longer there. Moms work long hours and fly all over the country, dads do too. The houses are not as clean and the meals are no longer home prepared." Unquote

I take offense to this statement. My children are married with children of their own. One family sends their children to day care. The other doesn't. Yet, the time and attention given to making a home and providing healthy meals IS there for both. Their houses are clean and their meals are home prepared and most meals are made from scratch. Nutrition is important in addition to keeping their children actively involved in sports plus family activities that bind families.

Quote... "Parents are working on their childrens morals and studies..." Unquote

Fortunately, my children are doing this with my grandchildren. However, as a retired elementary school teacher (just 3 years ago), this is not the norm. More children are rude and disrespectful today than 30 years ago when I began teaching. As for "working on their studies"...many (not all) parents don't find this as an important part of parenting nowadays. Yet the teacher is always blamed for the child's lack of progress because many parents don't take accountability for being an integral part of their child's success.

Quote..."You cannot fault a supermarket chain for selling what people want to buy and you can't blame everything on poor nutritional choices." Unquote

You are right...it's not the supermarket's fault. But I can blame poor nutritional choices on parents who make bad choices for their children. I also blame the effect advertising has. If I can't blame the parent for making bad choices for their children, then who is to blame?

Quote..."One of the biggest differences from back then to now is that nutrition isn't taught in school any more." Unquote

Oh yes it is! It was part of my curriculum and we (I) talked about it all the time. If you pull a school aged child aside and question them about what foods are good for them and what foods aren't....they know!

Quote..."They really aren't as good as you think they are in my humble opinion. I think I eat healthier." Unquote

Why is your diet healthier? Why is a vegan/vegetarian diet not as healthy? Please provide support for your opinion so I can validate why you said this. My son is a vegan and his children (ages 1 and 7) are vegetarian. Let me tell you, I haven't seen anyone eat as many fruits, vegetables, grains, and proteins as they do! Even though my vegan son doesn't eat dairy (or anything related to animal products nor wear anything animal related) he gets his calcium in dark veggies, tofu, soy milk, and orange juice. My grandchildren are vegetarian so they eat a lot of dairy. Both my son's and his children's diets are a lot healthier than mine and I watch mine very closely.

Last edited by renielarson; 06-05-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopz View Post
“Be curious, not judgmental.” – Walt Whitman
“I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious, self-righteous people around me.” – anonymous

When I was young my mom did not stay home. She and my dad both taught school. Yet, she not only worked, but she also took care of "things". She cleaned the house, sewed, ironed, washed, hung the clothes out (until she and dad saved enough money to buy a dryer), cooked, baked, had a huge flower garden, and mothered her 3 daughters with love, respect, and devotion.

Quote..."Now two people go off to work, and the children who are too young for school go to day care. The same time and attention given to making a home and providing healthy meals is no longer there. Moms work long hours and fly all over the country, dads do too. The houses are not as clean and the meals are no longer home prepared." Unquote

I take offense to this statement. My children are married with children of their own. One family sends their children to day care. The other doesn't. Yet, the time and attention given to making a home and providing healthy meals IS there for both. Their houses are clean and their meals are home prepared and most meals are made from scratch. Nutrition is important in addition to keeping their children actively involved in sports plus family activities that bind families.

Quote... "Parents are working on their childrens morals and studies..." Unquote

Fortunately, my children are doing this with my grandchildren. However, as a retired elementary school teacher (just 3 years ago), this is not the norm. More children are rude and disrespectful today than 30 years ago when I began teaching. As for "working on their studies"...many (not all) parents don't find this as an important part of parenting nowadays. Yet the teacher is always blamed for the child's lack of progress because many parents don't take accountability for being an integral part of their child's success.

Quote..."You cannot fault a supermarket chain for selling what people want to buy and you can't blame everything on poor nutritional choices." Unquote

You are right...it's not the supermarket's fault. But I can blame poor nutritional choices on parents who make bad choices for their children. I also blame the effect advertising has. If I can't blame the parent for making bad choices for their children, then who is to blame?

Quote..."One of the biggest differences from back then to now is that nutrition isn't taught in school any more." Unquote

Oh yes it is! It was part of my curriculum and we (I) talked about it all the time. If you pull a school aged child aside and question them about what foods are good for them and what foods aren't....they know!

Quote..."They really aren't as good as you think they are in my humble opinion. I think I eat healthier." Unquote

Why is your diet healthier? Why is a vegan/vegetarian diet not as healthy? Please provide support for your opinion so I can validate why you said this. My son is a vegan and his children (ages 1 and 7) are vegetarian. Let me tell you, I haven't seen anyone eat as many fruits, vegetables, grains, and proteins as they do! Even though my vegan son doesn't eat dairy (or anything related to animal products nor wear anything animal related) he gets his calcium in dark veggies, tofu, soy milk, and orange juice. My grandchildren are vegetarian so they eat a lot of dairy. Both my son's and his children's diets are a lot healthier than mine and I watch mine very closely.

Boy Howdy.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Boy Howdy.
R U going to reply to my questions or flipflopz at least?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
No. My husband of fifty years, that sweet man, told me long ago that you can't win a ****ing contest.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
She just did. You just missed what she was saying.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Sage

guess so........oh fun
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
No. My husband of fifty years, that sweet man, told me long ago that you can't win a ****ing contest.
You go girl!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Here we go again. Another pompous, pharisaical Food Police encyclical.

phar·i·sa·ical adj \-ˈsā-ə-kəl\

Definition of PHARISAICAL

: marked by hypocritical censorious self-righteousness

— phar·i·sa·ical·ly adverb
Yes, here we go again. Another post with nothing substantive to add to the discussion, other than name calling.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
That sound like some of that Mid-western wisdom.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
they don't NEED an excuse...they DON'T want to...they DON''T have to...they DON'T care!
And when they show up at the ER with a heart attack or stroke, is that when they start caring? If they don't care, they shouldn't call 911 to begin with. They should have the good sense to just stay home and die so we don't have to pay higher insurance premiums for their $50,000 dollar by-pass surgery.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.