Obesity increases mortality from COVID-19

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2021, 10:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The largest factor in mortality from Covid-19 is age. We Americans are overweight, stop being superior and haughty.
Not all Americans are overweight. And not everyone who points this out is claiming superiority or being haughty.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Not all Americans are overweight. And not everyone who points this out is claiming superiority or being haughty.
That is true...but most are and some are.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Fat is not healthy.
Lots of fat 80+ in the villages so.???
Old 03-06-2021, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Lots of fat 80+ in the villages so.???
Makes me wonder if those who deny the adverse health effects of obesity (not saying that’s you necessarily, Nick) are the same ones who deny the danger of Covid.

Whatever the case, you can’t deny the benefits of optimism and positive thinking.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:44 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,645 Times in 1,769 Posts

My intention in posting this study was simply to provide factual information on COVID-19. At my present age of 79 I am highly aware I am in a high mortality rate age group for COVID-19 and lead my life accordingly.

A couple days ago, three weeks after my first vaccination shot, I finally went in for a haircut. It had been 13 months and I looked like Albert Einstein on a bad hair day. It turns out my caution was warranted. The relatively young two barbers in the shop had gotten and recovered from COVID-19. The other, a man near my age, did not directly respond to my asking him if he had had it. He told me that around Thanksgiving he had had two surgeries removing one kidney and half of the other. Maybe that was from COVID-19, maybe it was not. I don't know. Two doctors I know working with COVID-19 patients tell me their hospitals never ran short of ventilators but they did on dialysis machines as the virus can cause kidney issues. BTW, the barber who had the kidney surgery is probably 40 pounds overweight.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-06-2021, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
The facts are being obese increases your chances of dying from covid. Just getting covid does not mean you are going to die. Recovery rate is about 99.5%. Just the facts ma’am.
Fasts? Obesity increases chance of dying, smoking increases chance of dying, drinking alcohol increases chance of dying. Now add Covid to the equation and it increases chance of dying. Facts; old people die even if the never smoked , drank, overweight, or had Covid.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
My intention in posting this study was simply to provide factual information on COVID-19. At my present age of 79 I am highly aware I am in a high mortality rate age group for COVID-19 and lead my life accordingly.

A couple days ago, three weeks after my first vaccination shot, I finally went in for a haircut. It had been 13 months and I looked like Albert Einstein on a bad hair day. It turns out my caution was warranted. The relatively young two barbers in the shop had gotten and recovered from COVID-19. The other, a man near my age, did not directly respond to my asking him if he had had it. He told me that around Thanksgiving he had had two surgeries removing one kidney and half of the other. Maybe that was from COVID-19, maybe it was not. I don't know. Two doctors I know working with COVID-19 patients tell me their hospitals never ran short of ventilators but they did on dialysis machines as the virus can cause kidney issues. BTW, the barber who had the kidney surgery is probably 40 pounds overweight.

I’ve been cutting my own hair for 40 years. But, I’m not the man about town.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,043 Times in 1,756 Posts

Back in March last year a renown weight loss surgeon observed that his obese patients who worked very hard to lose their weight, were dropping like flies from Covid. He posted a video explaining how Covid kills:

Mar. 29, 2020 — Dr. Duc Vuong, the World's #1 Weight Loss Surgeon and author, explains why the obese population are at increased risk....
Old 03-07-2021, 03:04 AM
Gold member

Unhealthy people have a higher risk of dying from a virus.
In other news: Where's muh beer?

Last edited by MorTech; 03-07-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is true...but most are and some are.
Now Now Gracie
Old 03-08-2021, 11:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Back in March last year a renown weight loss surgeon observed that his obese patients who worked very hard to lose their weight, were dropping like flies from Covid. He posted a video explaining how Covid kills:

Mar. 29, 2020 — Dr. Duc Vuong, the World's #1 Weight Loss Surgeon and author, explains why the obese population are at increased risk....

According to vitals.com, a user rating site fueled by patients and customers. Not everyone agrees with you this guy is the "World's #1 Weightloss Surgeon"

Narcissist Posted on February 10th, 2021:

Dr. Duc Vuong

Arrogant and rude money grabber that will nickel and dime you to death. When you decline a scheme he gets ANGRY and calls names. Very childish.

Posted on April 6th, 2020

Full of himself. He’s a mean jerk.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

The CDC has a report that accounts for all the announced Covid deaths for the past year, and actually admits that only 6% of these deaths were directly from Covid-19, and they go on to list the other 94% saying that these fatalities were people who had serious underlying conditions (cancer, pneumonia, etc.), but had tested positive for the Covid-19.
I watched an Illinois governor's televised press conference, where when he was pressed into answering a Covid question, where he stumbled for an answer, and turned it over to their head medical representative who said that IF YOU TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19, and died in a car accident, it was counted as a Covid death. If you were in hospice care and expected to live for only a week or two, and had tested positive, your death was counted as a Covid death. If you had tested positive and died from any other situation, it was counted as a Covid death, and that the state of Illinois will continue this practice.
So how can we believe the media, or for that matter the CDC? Yesterday they announced that if you have had the vaccine, that you don't really need to wear a mask. Last week they said that you do.
So I'm cynical. While I do believe that Covid does spread quickly, and more people catch it than they do the flu, the mortality rate is exaggerated to the 'nth degree. I also believe that has been politicized to the detriment of this country. I also believe "follow the $$$".
Old 03-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
The CDC has a report that accounts for all the announced Covid deaths for the past year, and actually admits that only 6% of these deaths were directly from Covid-19, and they go on to list the other 94% saying that these fatalities were people who had serious underlying conditions (cancer, pneumonia, etc.), but had tested positive for the Covid-19.
I watched an Illinois governor's televised press conference, where when he was pressed into answering a Covid question, where he stumbled for an answer, and turned it over to their head medical representative who said that IF YOU TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19, and died in a car accident, it was counted as a Covid death. If you were in hospice care and expected to live for only a week or two, and had tested positive, your death was counted as a Covid death. If you had tested positive and died from any other situation, it was counted as a Covid death, and that the state of Illinois will continue this practice.
So how can we believe the media, or for that matter the CDC? Yesterday they announced that if you have had the vaccine, that you don't really need to wear a mask. Last week they said that you do.
So I'm cynical. While I do believe that Covid does spread quickly, and more people catch it than they do the flu, the mortality rate is exaggerated to the 'nth degree. I also believe that has been politicized to the detriment of this country. I also believe "follow the $$$".
One of our favorite responses on this board is “source please.”
Old 03-09-2021, 10:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Check out the number of excess deaths on the CDC website. Since the number of deaths, regardless of the reason, is normally pretty consistent from year to year, an increase in the number of deaths (excess deaths) in 2020 is attributable, either directly or indirectly, to the coronavirus. The number of excess deaths since the pandemic started is about 500,000. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a drop in total deaths ( from what would be the normal number) over the next couple of years. The virus has killed a bunch of older people before their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-09-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Makes me wonder if those who deny the adverse health effects of obesity (not saying that’s you necessarily, Nick) are the same ones who deny the danger of Covid.

Whatever the case, you can’t deny the benefits of optimism and positive thinking.

Weight easy to put on, hard as hail to loose, and it must always come back. Now add can’t stop eating, can’t exercise , can’t hardly walk 10 yards, weight not going anywhere.
Closed Thread

Tags
obesity, increases, morbidity, covid-19

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.