Obvious End To The Mask Controversy

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2020, 07:55 AM

To all of the people who have responded to this post who apparently lack reading comprehension skills I would like to point out that I mentioned that the face shield, as an alternative form of PPE, blocks germs going in BOTH directions! That would seem to suggest that the wearer is being proactive in protecting their self as opposed to the ridiculous argument that one is being protected by another person’s mask.

Have all of you mask police been out and about and done much observing of the way that many of the virtuous, ever-so-thoughtful people in masks are using and wearing them? Many are around chins and worn with noses sticking out. I saw a man in Walmart pull his mask down to pick his nose! Many wearers are constantly adjusting their masks thereby touching their faces which renders it useless.

And, I find the references to my profession totally tasteless.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:56 AM

Pro face masks!!!
Old 05-31-2020, 07:58 AM

It makes me angry that the idea of protecting others by wearing a mask is not understood. Politics and freedoms don’t prevent you from landing in the hospital on a ventilator.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
Can’t believe we’re still talking about this. Wearing a mask cannot be mandated. It is not a law. A world renowned epidemiologist indicated that because of the size of the virus it can go right through any mask. Even an N 95 mask. It’s a microbe! The only value of a mask is psychological. You don’t wear a mask during flu season do you? Since we now know this virus has virtually the same mortality rate as the flu why are we still talking about this? I cannot believe the paranoia about this virus has lasted this long. The media obviously did a great job of scaring people to death to the point where they can’t even think for themselves anymore.
True. Too many people getting the hyped up news stories from the mainstream media., Kill your TV before it kills you.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Okay, I'll bite. When even FOX News reports that wearing a mask is effective Wearing a surgical mask can reduce coronavirus transmission by up to 75 percent, study says | Fox News why should I have to wear a face shield because others won't wear a mask?

I might add this, although I haven't researched where it came from.
Why should others wear a mask because you won't wear a face shield? If understand the OP correctly, her point is that we don't have control over others, only ourselves. Doing what we need to do to take care of ourselves while being respectful of others who think different is the key. It does no good to lecture, criticize and even insult others like we've heard time and again. Actually, behaving this way only adds to the problem.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Don't be fooled by the wrong percentage of the death rate. It's very simple, take total outcomes, there are only two, which is number recovered plus number of deaths. Then divide total number of deaths by total outcomes: appx. 540,000 recovered, 100,000 dead = 640,000 outcomes. (100,000 / 640,000) * 100 = 15.6%.
THAT'S why we need to wear masks!

BTW, number of tested is meaningless because we will not know the total outcome until weeks later.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
I find it curious we accept other impairments meant to keep us safe such as being screened for airline flights, being screened to enter government buildings, non-smoking laws, obeying traffic laws, etc...the list goes on...but somehow find wearing a mask impinges our liberties. The reason to wear a mask is to protect others as much as to protect yourself. How is that unreasonable?
Well said
Old 05-31-2020, 08:16 AM

You go girl!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
I turn mine around and walk backwards.
And I thought I was the only one. Well HEY! I must be in good company!!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

I am responsible to protect myself as I see fit.
The same goes for you.
How we go about it may not be the same way.
If I am lax about it, I will suffer the consequences.
If I over do it, then I am wasting time, money, convenience and comfort.

Same goes for you.
Don't worry about others.
Take care of yourself.

Last edited by Joe C.; 05-31-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
So, after a gazillion posts pro and con to wearing a mask, I don’t believe that we have swayed anyone to our side, pro or con.

How about the compromise could be that people who are leery of mingling with non-maskers at rec centers , etc. could wear their masks AND face shields. They seem to be able to stop “stuff” going both in and out. Plus, the mask could be also worn to guard against anti-gravity droplets which might drift upwards under the face shield.

Your thoughts?
I've noticed that this pandemic has isolated others not just from staying home, but even when out, the masks hide our expressions from one another. Add sunglasses like many do when outdoors and its like we're a bunch of zombies running around. We have lost the smiles of so many wonderful people in TV - a social connection that means a lot to many. There's usually not even a wave or nod of the head. Then, there's the attacks on others who have a different opinion. The worst part of this pandemic is how people have used it to attack rather than respect and support others. You don't have to agree with someone to respect and support - to help build a healthy community.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
I find it curious we accept other impairments meant to keep us safe such as being screened for airline flights, being screened to enter government buildings, non-smoking laws, obeying traffic laws, etc...the list goes on...but somehow find wearing a mask impinges our liberties. The reason to wear a mask is to protect others as much as to protect yourself. How is that unreasonable?
It may not seem "unreasonable" to you, but maybe some of us do not wish to wear the mask all the time when the possibility of being in the same area as an infected is so minute. Wear one if you wish but do not mandate that I wear one just to make you feel better. Like others have said, either wear one or go your own way but do not tell us that we are not being reasonable because you do not "feel" safe. Of course, I never thought that the gov should mandate seatbelts either. That's my opinion. To summarize, wear your mask to "feel" safe if you wish.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
It’s not unreasonable, but don’t force me to wear a mask if I don’t want to. That’s my choice!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:37 AM

People 45 and under have a .004% chance of dying from Coronavirus. If they get Corona they will establish herd immunity to protect the rest of us. If you have a fear or an underlying illness wear your mask, nobody will stop you. Or stay home. Don't penalize the healthy that choose to live their life.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 AM

well done!!
Closed Thread

Tags
mask, face, pro, con, “stuff”

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.