Now is the time to allow death with dignity.

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2021, 11:39 AM
Veteran member
Default Now is the time to allow death with dignity.

While people are shouting, "It's my right to die, so if I don't get vaccinated, then that's my right," I would suspect this is the perfect time to bring back Dr. Kevorkian's style of Death with Dignity, and make it legal.

If people have a right to die, by refusing to get vaccinated, then why is it not a right to die with dignity?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
While people are shouting, "It's my right to die, so if I don't get vaccinated, then that's my right," I would suspect this is the perfect time to bring back Dr. Kevorkian's style of Death with Dignity, and make it legal.

If people have a right to die, by refusing to get vaccinated, then why is it not a right to die with dignity?
Well, bringing up Dr. Kevorkian has a tendancy to cast the point in a negative light. But...

I am and have always been in favor of making doctor assisted suicide/euthanasia legal.

I have issues with someone I don't know making what is the most important decision (IMHO) in a persons life. I should have the right to decide when and how I want to die. That so many people feel they have a right to push their end of life beliefs onto me is very annoying.

If you take religion out of the discussion, then it is hard to come up with any reason other people should have any say in my decisions around my death.

And if you include religion, then dying and going to live on golden streets and with virgins feeding you grapes while heavenly choirs sing in the background would seem to be somewhat appealing, yet, they are fight to the bitter end to resist that.

If you want to be hooked up to machines and feed via an IV and not able to talk because a machine is breathing for you, and to stay that way potentially for years. Have fun, I am not interested.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:

I tend to agree but I acknowledge that there are concerns:
- Was it my choice or did someone convince me it was my choice?
- Is it really time to die with dignity or is this a symptom of depression?
- Who is to say there is no chance that tomorrow I would make a different choice?

There have been very few good ideas that someone hasn't found a way to abuse or corrupt. Death is final - there is no way to correct a mistake.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-26-2021, 12:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I tend to agree but I acknowledge that there are concerns:
- Was it my choice or did someone convince me it was my choice?
- Is it really time to die with dignity or is this a symptom of depression?
- Who is to say there is no chance that tomorrow I would make a different choice?

There have been very few good ideas that someone hasn't found a way to abuse or corrupt. Death is final - there is no way to correct a mistake.
Actually there is a very simple solution. It's my choice. I don't care if I am depressed. I don't care if I was foolish enough to let someone talk me into it. It is MY choice.

Now, what if I am incapacitated and can't make that choice. Then we have a problem.

In Florida, according to my PCP in the VA, your living will stating your end of life preferences in case you are incapacitated, are not legally binding on the doctor at your bedside. They are "suggestions". So, if I get a religious fanatic that doesn't believe in "giving up". Then they can hook me up and torture me for years against my expressed wishes. The VA on the other hand will attempt to follow my end of life living will, and so, I am going to do everything I can to be transported to a VA hospital if stuff happens.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Well, bringing up Dr. Kevorkian has a tendancy to cast the point in a negative light. But...

I am and have always been in favor of making doctor assisted suicide/euthanasia legal.

I have issues with someone I don't know making what is the most important decision (IMHO) in a persons life. I should have the right to decide when and how I want to die. That so many people feel they have a right to push their end of life beliefs onto me is very annoying.

If you want to be hooked up to machines and feed via an IV and not able to talk because a machine is breathing for you, and to stay that way potentially for years. Have fun, I am not interested.
I could NOT AGREE more!!! And as we age here in TV, I think about this at times. Although thankfully healthy mentally & physically NOW, in no way would I desire 'machines' to keep me alive, or if I have very serious/near death issues. I DO NOT want my loved ones to live thru Dad's 'last weeks/months' in a home or hospital - if there is little to no hope. Drain other's emotions, finances, and estate etc.

Nope I want to be in charge of when and how - IN DIGNITY. When I think of the emotions and politics surrounding this topic, my mind wanders to abortion at mid-late stage. THAT'S OK (in mnay locales), but allowing an elder to make THEIR decision is not.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I worked with Dr K for years. He was a kind and gentle man. When we lost our twins at 28 weeks, he grieved our loss, and wanted to help in anyway. It was our 7th and 8th late term loss.
He went to great lengths as to the posts he needed to do, and wanted to make sure all of our thoughts were taken into consideration. Maybe find the reason or explanation of cause of death.

He would talk about suffering of those who were terminally ill, and that they should be able to die with dignity. But the topic of how was never discussed. Every time someone brings up his name, good memories come back.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

There was a somewhat obscure organization that promoted end-of-life suicide using phenobarbital. It was called the Hemlock Society. It's now called End of Life Choices. The Hemlock Society was founded in 1980, however it was inspired by similar organizations that date back to Euthanasia Educational Council, which formed in 1967.

People with metastasized cancer that has spread to the brain, or someone with severe trigeminal neuralgia - no one should be required to endure a life with pain, if they choose not to. Not if it's for 20 years, not if it's 20 minutes.

One of my relatives was a member of the Hemlock Society. They died in hospice at age 93 the afternoon that the family called to have them admitted, and kept three phenobarbital pills in a bottle in the medicine cabinet "just in case." My relative didn't end up needing to use them, but it comforted them to know that they were there. It comforted me to know that my relative had prepared for the possibility of needing it. I don't think I could stand thinking of them dying in pain.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I could NOT AGREE more!!! And as we age here in TV, I think about this at times. Although thankfully healthy mentally & physically NOW, in no way would I desire 'machines' to keep me alive, or if I have very serious/near death issues. I DO NOT want my loved ones to live thru Dad's 'last weeks/months' in a home or hospital - if there is little to no hope. Drain other's emotions, finances, and estate etc.

Nope I want to be in charge of when and how - IN DIGNITY. When I think of the emotions and politics surrounding this topic, my mind wanders to abortion at mid-late stage. THAT'S OK (in mnay locales), but allowing an elder to make THEIR decision is not.
For me, the question isn't even a matter of "end of life" decisions. It's "quality of life" decisions. Pain - is not something I look forward to. I don't mean just my bursitis and my life-long battle with spinal pain. I mean serious, non-stop, non-treatable neurological pain. Imagine what your life would be like, if you felt like the skin on your arms, legs, and hips was literally burning on fire, 24/7, and no amount of painkillers would make that feeling go away - and it wasn't damaging your body at all - it was just slowly driving you insane, and month after month, the doctors insisted that it *might* go away.

Would you be willing to endure that sensation, 24/7, for the next 20 years? I know I wouldn't. Could you imagine how your throat must feel after screaming non-stop for days? Can you imagine how futile and hopeless your life would be, the abject misery of merely existing, and then being informed that you are not ALLOWED to end it?
Old 07-26-2021, 04:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I worked with Dr K for years. He was a kind and gentle man. When we lost our twins at 28 weeks, he grieved our loss, and wanted to help in anyway. It was our 7th and 8th late term loss.
He went to great lengths as to the posts he needed to do, and wanted to make sure all of our thoughts were taken into consideration. Maybe find the reason or explanation of cause of death.
I am so very sorry for your losses. Thanks for sharing that story.

k.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:

You do realize not all people have means to get vaccinated. No excuses in large cities, but there still low % that can’t even get to vaccinated site, then there ones that have health issues?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You do realize not all people have means to get vaccinated. No excuses in large cities, but there still low % that can’t even get to vaccinated site, then there ones that have health issues?
He's not talking about the ones who *cannot* get to the vaccines. He's talking about the ones who REFUSE to vaccinate. You can tell that's what he meant, because that's what he wrote.

Here it is again, in case you missed it (bold and underlined text emphasized for emphasis):
Quote:
Old 07-27-2021, 04:39 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Actually there is a very simple solution. It's my choice. I don't care if I am depressed. I don't care if I was foolish enough to let someone talk me into it. It is MY choice.

Now, what if I am incapacitated and can't make that choice. Then we have a problem.

In Florida, according to my PCP in the VA, your living will stating your end of life preferences in case you are incapacitated, are not legally binding on the doctor at your bedside. They are "suggestions". So, if I get a religious fanatic that doesn't believe in "giving up". Then they can hook me up and torture me for years against my expressed wishes. The VA on the other hand will attempt to follow my end of life living will, and so, I am going to do everything I can to be transported to a VA hospital if stuff happens.
Not true. If you ever have a Dr refusing to follow your last wishes, there are many avenues to go. If there is no brain activity, you are legally dead and a court will certify that and side with you n your family And I have never heard of a dr not following your last wishes if there is no brain activity.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

If lack of brain activity was a signal for the doctor to switch a person off, I would have been declared dead years ago!
Old 07-27-2021, 06:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If lack of brain activity was a signal for the doctor to switch a person off, I would have been declared dead years ago!
Old 07-27-2021, 07:09 AM

yes, I have no problem with that. if people want to go, what business is it of mine?

Yoda
Closed Thread

Tags
dignity, die, vaccinated, people, death

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.