Oriental Medicine

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Default Oriental Medicine

Does anyone know a good doctor in TV that practices oriental medicine?
Old 09-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny46 View Post
I know an Asian American doctor, or two.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
You may be missing the point. Is there any such thing as a GOOD doctor that practices "oriental" medicine???
Old 09-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You may be missing the point. Is there any such thing as a GOOD doctor that practices "oriental" medicine???
I love you
Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I love you
right back at you. Now, to dig myself a bigger hole with those that advocate alternative medicine----Do the people who want to be treated by some voodoo mixture of herbs, needles and meditation bring their DOGS to a similar "practitioner" or to a traditional veterinarian? If so, what does THAT say????
Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I so agree. Not a fan of anything but good ole' traditional medicine. You wouldn't be interested in rehanging your shingle here, would you Doc?????

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-12-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I so agree. Not a fan of anything but decent traditional medicine. You wouldn't be interested in rehanging your shingle here, would you Doc?????
Not really, despite getting a headhunting letter from TVH every month for the last 4 years. I always said that the day I spent 51% of my time on paperwork and bureaucracy was the day I retired. My greatest fear is that my younger colleagues have not learned how to evaluate a patient as much as which boxes to check on the insurance co./government reports.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm not a medical doctor. I'm what one might call a doctor of Beatleology.

So I can't say that my opinion is worth any more than any other non medical doc. But it seems to me that just from alogical standpoint that Oriental medicine is based on practices that are thousands of years old. Even if some of those practices were valid, huge advances been made in medicine even in the past few hundred years.

Oriental medicine seems to me, to be about the same as using a horse and buggy to get around.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm not a medical doctor. I'm what one might call a doctor of Beatleology.

So I can't say that my opinion is worth any more than any other non medical doc. But it seems to me that just from alogical standpoint that Oriental medicine is based on practices that are thousands of years old. Even if some of those practices were valid, huge advances been made in medicine even in the past few hundred years.

Oriental medicine seems to me, to be about the same as using a horse and buggy to get around.
Basically true. Most of our modern pharmacology has a basis in botanicals, but pharmaceutical companies have generally isolated the active compounds and synthesized them in a pure drug. Don't underestimate the profit motive for big pharma. I have a lot of respect for the early Chinese, Greeks, and Egyptians that found these herbs and recognized their value. I wonder how many ancient Greeks died as they found out the appropriate dosage of digitalis leaf. This is an ongoing process; We didn't have penicillin until 1928 when a mold accidentally dropped in on Dr. Alexander Fleming's lab. But what some people are advocating is eating the mold instead of taking the penicillin tab because it is "natural" or "holistic" ---yuk. I also have a lot of respect for the guy who invented the wheel, but that doesn't mean I want him fixing my SUV
Old 09-12-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Yes there is a very good Oriental doctor here in town. His name is Doctor Bo. He is located in the medical offices on the east side of 441 across from the hospital. 352-391-9266 is their phone number. I have used Lisa Forsythe who is the acupuncturist there. She is wonderful! Tell her Debbie sent you!
Closed Thread

Tags
oriental, medicine, practices, doctor, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.