Origin of the low-carb diet

Old 12-26-2023, 10:25 PM
Gold member
Default Origin of the low-carb diet

Interesting lecture by Drs. Eades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncd7SvT94c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87BWWUj9PiY

Last edited by MorTech; 12-26-2023 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Pre-civilization, or troglodite diet. Meat, when we could find it, steal it or kill it. Wild fruit, when in season. Bushes and grasses. Occasionally roots or tubers.
Once we settled and started turning grain into flour and figured how to get the sugar out of cane and beets, the dice were cast, and came up snake eyes. Lean hunter gatherers evolved into bakerssapians,and they, in turn, created a race of foodies and couch potatoes.
Do the research. Just look around, but not at me. I'm just big boned, really!

Now, where did I hide those chocolate eclairs?
Old 12-27-2023, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Pre-civilization, or troglodite diet. Meat, when we could find it, steal it or kill it. Wild fruit, when in season. Bushes and grasses. Occasionally roots or tubers.
Once we settled and started turning grain into flour and figured how to get the sugar out of cane and beets, the dice were cast, and came up snake eyes. Lean hunter gatherers evolved into bakerssapians,and they, in turn, created a race of foodies and couch potatoes.
Do the research. Just look around, but not at me. I'm just big boned, really!

Now, where did I hide those chocolate eclairs?
Dunno about the pre-civilization stuff, but all we have to do is to look around. The animals that eat plants are fat. The animals that EAT the animals that eat plants, are not.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Dunno about the pre-civilization stuff, but all we have to do is to look around. The animals that eat plants are fat. The animals that EAT the animals that eat plants, are not.
OK! But where do the eclairs come in?
Old 12-27-2023, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
OK! But where do the eclairs come in?
Mine come in through the back door, after dark.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:13 AM
Sage

The animals that eat plants are fat. The animals that EAT the animals that eat plants, are not.[/QUOTE]

Look again. Certainly, if you look at domesticated animals that might seem true. Look at nature. See any fat mountain goats or big horn sheep? See any fat gazelle or wildebeest or antelope? The harder an animal has to work for its calories the more fit it will be. Examples, look to your pets. If you put out unlimited food there would be nothing but fat dogs and cats unable to move, and their natural diet is meat, not kibble.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
You may need to look around a little more. Your statement about animals in their natural environment is false. Giraffes and bears are two obvious species that come to mind. Not to mention most Asians eat small amounts of meat with plenty of rice and vegetables. They are not fat humans.

Inuits (Eskimos) diet consists of mainly meat. They are not skinny humans.

Americans tend to be heavier because of the portion size of food we consume. Any diet that reduces portion size will help you lose weight and keep it off. Eat meat and not carbs? Great! Smaller portion of food. Eat only vegetables? Great! Smaller portions of food. Smaller portions mean less calories.

Many diseases are caused by a lack of vitamins or minerals. IMHO, You are doing yourself a disservice if you avoid certain food groups. Again, Asians eat balanced meals and are some of the healthiest humans on the planet and live longer than other races. Btw: No, I am not Asian. They just happen to be a perfect example for this thread.

Last edited by Randall55; 12-27-2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Mine come in through the back door, after dark.
LOL! I'm jealous!
Old 12-27-2023, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
You may need to look around a little more. Your statement about animals in their natural environment is false. Giraffes and bears are two obvious species that come to mind. Not to mention most Asians eat small amounts of meat with plenty of rice and vegetables. They are not fat humans.

Americans tend to be heavier because of the portion size of food we consume. Any diet that reduces portion size will help you lose weight and keep it off. Eat meat and not carbs? Great! Smaller portion of food. Eat only vegetables? Great! Smaller portions of food. Smaller portions mean less calories.

Many diseases are caused by a lack of vitamins or minerals. You are doing yourself a disservice if you avoid certain food groups. Again, Asians eat balanced meals and are some of the healthiest humans on the planet and live longer than other races. Btw: No, I am not Asian. They just happen to be a perfect example for this thread.
Bears are omnivores eat anything they can get. Bears need to put on weight so they can hibernate and survive winter. Ever see how actually fit a grizzly is as it runs down an adult elk.
Giraffe? Plant based diet. Don't look fat to me.
Absolutely agree that portion size and balance in diet and exercise is key.

? Is not rice (which I love) not a carb?
Old 12-27-2023, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

“High blood cholesterol is one of the major controllable risk factors for heart disease, heart attack and stroke. High cholesterol causes 4.4 million deaths every year, or 7.8% of all deaths….

Cholesterol is only found in foods that come from animals, there is no cholesterol in foods that come from plants. So, there is no cholesterol in fruit, vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts, beans, peas and lentils.” Google

How many of us know someone who had a stroke? (Possibly helped along by high cholesterol.)
Old 12-27-2023, 01:55 PM
Veteran member

China is indeed starting to have an obesity epidemic. This is due to a shift toward western diets. Processed foods, seed oils, and sugar.

Last edited by frayedends; 12-27-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
China is indeed starting to have an obesity epidemic. This is due to a shift toward western diets. Processed foods, seed oils, and sugar.
No argument about that. Processed food is unhealthy for everyone. However, Asians do not eat a lot of meat and would not consider avoiding vegetables and rice to get healthy. Latinos also eat an abundance of rice, legumes, and vegetables. The Mediterranean diet is full of vegetables and grains. It is egotistical and dangerous to believe millions upon millions of humans are eating incorrectly. Especially when most of them live long and healthy lives. On the opposite spectrum, Inuits eat very little carbs and are not skinny.

Anyone who starts a fad diet has one motive...MONEY! There is no real science that backs up any of their "new and improved" methods of eating. My proof are the millions of people around the world who eat opposite of an "informed" American.

Less portion size means fewer calories. This is the ONLY reason fad diets work. Don't believe it? Eat a Fred Flinstone portion of meat every day for a month. You will not lose weight nor will it improve your health.

Last edited by Randall55; 12-27-2023 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
“High blood cholesterol is one of the major controllable risk factors for heart disease, heart attack and stroke. High cholesterol causes 4.4 million deaths every year, or 7.8% of all deaths….

Cholesterol is only found in foods that come from animals, there is no cholesterol in foods that come from plants. So, there is no cholesterol in fruit, vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts, beans, peas and lentils.” Google

How many of us know someone who had a stroke? (Possibly helped along by high cholesterol.)
The people with the worst cholesterol problems tend to eat lots of food laced with sugar and flour. Carbohydrates make people sedative, and the unburnt carbs turn into body fat.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
The animals that eat plants are fat. The animals that EAT the animals that eat plants, are not.

Examples, look to your pets. If you put out unlimited food there would be nothing but fat dogs and cats unable to move, and their natural diet is meat, not kibble.
You obviously never had the pleasure of having a border collie as your pet. You could put down a smorgasbord of their favorite food and give them a choice of eating or doing a physical activity. They would choose physically working over food seven days a week and twice on Sundays. Sallie and Zack were the greatest.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	101906  
Old 12-27-2023, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Tophcfa is also correct:

“When you eat too much sugar, your liver makes more LDL while lowering the amount of HDL in your body. The extra calories from a sugary diet also leads to more of something called triglycerides, a type of blood fat that plays a role in your cholesterol health.”
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	101907  

Tags
origin, low-carb, diet, interesting, lecture

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.