Anyone have a Neurostimulator?

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Sage
Default Anyone have a Neurostimulator?

Looking for people who have had a neurostimulator implanted. Would like to know if it works well, what company you went through to get it and follow-up care. My doctor wants me to get one and just like having work done on the house, I want to see some examples first.

FYI This is a medical device for back and leg pain that is surgically implanted in the patient to relieve pain. I have looked on the internet but the information I find on this is old (5 or more years old) and am hoping to find some more updated information.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:36 PM

Search spinal cord stimulater and you will find more information. My husband had one implanted in 2012 for spinal stenosis, sciatica and failed back surgery. The device was made by St. Jude Medical. Medicare requires an exterior trial and psychological evaluation before the implant. His was done at Indiana University Pain management. In theory it sounds amazing, but it did not work for him, despite a positive response with the trial. The rep from St Jude was present in the OR, and was responsible for programming the device. She just couldn't get a program that helped him. I sorta blame her expertise. Disappointing to say the least. He eventually got an implanted morphine pump, which sounds scary, but greatly improved his quality of life. He still has pain, but is able to do most things. When you hurt so much, anything is worth a shot. At least try the external trial. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursebarb1 View Post
Search spinal cord stimulater and you will find more information. My husband had one implanted in 2012 for spinal stenosis, sciatica and failed back surgery. The device was made by St. Jude Medical. Medicare requires an exterior trial and psychological evaluation before the implant. His was done at Indiana University Pain management. In theory it sounds amazing, but it did not work for him, despite a positive response with the trial. The rep from St Jude was present in the OR, and was responsible for programming the device. She just couldn't get a program that helped him. I sorta blame her expertise. Disappointing to say the least. He eventually got an implanted morphine pump, which sounds scary, but greatly improved his quality of life. He still has pain, but is able to do most things. When you hurt so much, anything is worth a shot. At least try the external trial. Good luck.
My ex-husband had one implanted a little over a year ago. Like Nursebarb1, it was made by St. Jude and we went through the same processes as she explained. Unfortunately, his didn't work either which was very disappointing, we also feel the St. Jude rep couldn't come up with a program that worked for him and they all sort of gave up on helping him.

His pain doctor was Dr. Euribe (very disappointing) and the surgeon was Dr. Oliver (I believe). He is now searching for other methods to help him, he is in constant pain.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,344 Times in 558 Posts

I have a Tens unit when back pain and sciatica pain gets out of control and it works for me. After discussions with several people and Doctor's advise, I have found ever "case" is different. I hope and pray he finds help somewhere. Keep swinging----never give up.

Tags
find, neurostimulator, information, pain, implanted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.