Pacemaker

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2021, 01:00 PM
Default Pacemaker

I’m interested in knowing everyone’s experience with a pacemaker. Is it a beneficial thing that you’ve done? Thank you!
Old 08-15-2021, 01:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I've had a pacemaker/defibrillator for nearly 5 years now. It has caused me no problems and I don't even notice it. Has it helped? I had a problem with my heart beating too slowly once in a while and the pacemaker has corrected that problem. I was given a pacemaker/defibrillator combination because my heart congestive failure can cause the heart to beat too quickly. I haven't had the defibrillator shock my heart so I think it was a wise precautionary measure taken by my cardiologist. Last check on the status of the pacemaker show I have almost another 2 years on the battery. If your cardiologist recommends it I would listen to him/her.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Current wife is on 3rd unit, and previous wife's father was on his 5th unit, so while I do not have personal experience, both of these people benefitted from the device.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,737 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Current wife is on 3rd unit, and previous wife's father was on his 5th unit, so while I do not have personal experience, both of these people benefitted from the device.
VT, can you repair a pacemaker? (just kidding)
Old 08-15-2021, 04:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSaldeen View Post
I’m interested in knowing everyone’s experience with a pacemaker. Is it a beneficial thing that you’ve done? Thank you!
If you need it, go for it and move on with your life. Medicine has come a long way! I have a friend who had one inserted and is peppier and enjoying life more than ever.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

7 years with no problems. Keeping me alive.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:00 AM
Remedy Surface Care

Quote:
I have had one since 2010 , and my is a both Pacemaker and defibrillator. I have had no issues at all . Joe
Old 08-16-2021, 06:02 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to cwnavy1

Had mine replaced after nearly 11 years at Leesburg Hospital last year. No problems ever, glad to have it.

CA, Ariz., Texas, Georgia, Now- TV!
Old 08-16-2021, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

I had an interesting experience where I was told I needed a pacemaker but when I went in for it they said my heart was not damaged at the 35% level required for Medicare to pay for it so they did not put one in. I strongly suggest before you go worried about the procedure you ask your doctor for a second opinion on who to ask if you get my drift. Pacemakers have been around for many decades now and save many lives while it is a medical procedure like many others there's always a small chance of difficulties it's far out ways not having one if your doctor wants you to have one. But keep in mind your age also has something to do with getting any elective surgery.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
I had an interesting experience where I was told I needed a pacemaker but when I went in for it they said my heart was not damaged at the 35% level required for Medicare to pay for it so they did not put one in. I strongly suggest before you go worried about the procedure you ask your doctor for a second opinion on who to ask if you get my drift. Pacemakers have been around for many decades now and save many lives while it is a medical procedure like many others there's always a small chance of difficulties it's far out ways not having one if your doctor wants you to have one. But keep in mind your age also has something to do with getting any elective surgery.
Usually you find out you need one when you arrive feet first at the hospital. Daughter and I both did. So grateful for modern medicine.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:50 AM

Lisa: I have one, got it at Advent in Orlando. It’s implanted in my left upper chest & I feel it. The doctor said there isn’t a lot of fat in that area of my chest & sometimes the bra strap bothers me because it’s over the pacemaker. Ask about that? Otherwise it’s great
Old 08-16-2021, 07:05 AM
Default Pacemaker

I've had mine 8 yrs, it is working 90% of time.
I've had no problems & have it read (checked) remotely every 3 months.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Mine works 30% of the time. Every three months I have to put a gizmo over the pacemaker and transmit data to the cardiologist. This takes around 10 minutes This can take place anywhere as long as a tower is near.

Also, you must either have a pat down at the airport or use the round picture machine when going through security.

They are lifesavers.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
If you need it, go for it and move on with your life. Medicine has come a long way! I have a friend who had one inserted and is peppier and enjoying life more than ever.
Easy decision: If you need it you need it, otherwise contact Beyers or Baldwin Bros.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Having put in a bunch of them, that post makes no sense whatsoever. There is no requirement that your heart be "damaged" below "35%" (which I assume you are referring to left ventricular ejection fraction). There are criteria regarding degree of bradycardia, length of pauses etc. Rarely, someone who is borderline on main criteria can qualify by having a "damaged" heart. Age has nothing to do with getting a PPM, and if you need one, it is hardly "elective"
Closed Thread

Tags
pacemaker, you’ve, thing, beneficial, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.