For People with Thinning Hair

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2022, 07:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,896 Times in 805 Posts
Default For People with Thinning Hair

This isn’t a problem I have, but I read an interesting article about a successful treatment last week in the NYTimes, and I link to it as a public service, as I know at affects thousands of people in The Villages. In brief: “ An Old Medicine Grows New Hair for Pennies a Day, Doctors Say. Dermatologists who specialize in hair loss say that the key ingredient in a topical treatment worked even better when taken orally at a low dose. . . . costing pennies a day, that restores hair in many patients. It is minoxidil, an old and well-known hair-loss treatment drug used in a very different way. Rather than being applied directly to the scalp, it is being prescribed in very low-dose pills.”

Minoxidil is the medical name for Rogaine. It’s not an approved use by the FDA, but dermatologists are allowed to prescribe it. The dosage is only about 1/20 of the usual minoxidil pill approved for other purposes (high blood pressure). Some dermatologists have been prescribing it for years. It works much better than topical application to your head without the messiness. It does not work for complete baldness, but it works for thinning hair for both men and women. If this interests you, print this out and take it to your dermatologist.

Int J Dermatol
. 2018 Jan;57(1):104-109. doi: 10.1111/ijd.13838. Epub 2017 Dec 12.
Female pattern hair loss: a pilot study investigating combination therapy with low-dose oral minoxidil and spironolactone

Abstract

Background: Minoxidil and spironolactone are oral antihypertensives known to stimulate hair growth.

Objective: To report on a case series of women with pattern hair loss (PHL) treated with once daily minoxidil 0.25 mg and spironolactone 25 mg.

Methods: Women newly diagnosed with a Sinclair stage 2-5 PHL were scored for hair shedding and hair density before and after 12 months of treatment with oral minoxidil 0.25 mg and spironolactone 25 mg.

Results: A total of 100 women were included in this observational pilot study. Mean age was 48.44 years (range 18-80). Mean hair loss severity at baseline was Sinclair 2.79 (range 2-5). Mean hair shedding score at baseline was 4.82. Mean duration of diagnosis was 6.5 years (range 0.5-30). Mean reduction in hair loss severity score was 0.85 at 6 months and 1.3 at 12 months. Mean reduction in hair shedding score was 2.3 at 6 months and 2.6 at 12 months. Mean change in blood pressure was -4.52 mmHg systolic and -6.48 mmHg diastolic. Side effects were seen in eight women but were generally mild. No patients developed hyperkalemia or any other blood test abnormality. Six of these women continued treatment, and two women who developed urticaria discontinued treatment.

Limitations: Prospective, uncontrolled, open-label observational study.

Discussion: Once daily capsules containing minoxidil 0.25 mg and spironolactone 25 mg appear to be safe and effective in the treatment of FPHL. Placebo-controlled studies to investigate this further are warranted.

nytimes.com
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	6A533208-08F8-421F-96AD-C349DCCC2EAE.jpg
Views:	2044
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	94844  
Old 08-24-2022, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,289 Times in 2,841 Posts

Hair is purely cosmetic and when one gets old hair is very low on the list of important features that really matter. I’m much more concerned with staying thin, muscular, flexible, and managing the aching joints. Plus I save lots of time and money on superficial stuff like haircuts and shampoo and there is certainly no need for a swimmers cap when doing laps. On the flip side, it’s good to keep the old scalp lubed up with waterproof suntan lotion and wear a baseball cap when outdoors in the sun. I’m certainly not taking some pill that has who knows what side effect to try to grow some hair on top off this old body.

Last edited by tophcfa; 08-24-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
This isn’t a problem I have, but I read an interesting article about a successful treatment last week in the NYTimes, and I link to it as a public service, as I know at affects thousands of people in The Villages. In brief: “ An Old Medicine Grows New Hair for Pennies a Day, Doctors Say. Dermatologists who specialize in hair loss say that the key ingredient in a topical treatment worked even better when taken orally at a low dose. . . . costing pennies a day, that restores hair in many patients. It is minoxidil, an old and well-known hair-loss treatment drug used in a very different way. Rather than being applied directly to the scalp, it is being prescribed in very low-dose pills.”

Minoxidil is the medical name for Rogaine. It’s not an approved use by the FDA, but dermatologists are allowed to prescribe it. The dosage is only about 1/20 of the usual minoxidil pill approved for other purposes (high blood pressure). Some dermatologists have been prescribing it for years. It works much better than topical application to your head without the messiness. It does not work for complete baldness, but it works for thinning hair for both men and women. If this interests you, print this out and take it to your dermatologist.

Int J Dermatol
. 2018 Jan;57(1):104-109. doi: 10.1111/ijd.13838. Epub 2017 Dec 12.
Female pattern hair loss: a pilot study investigating combination therapy with low-dose oral minoxidil and spironolactone

Abstract

Background: Minoxidil and spironolactone are oral antihypertensives known to stimulate hair growth.

Objective: To report on a case series of women with pattern hair loss (PHL) treated with once daily minoxidil 0.25 mg and spironolactone 25 mg.

Methods: Women newly diagnosed with a Sinclair stage 2-5 PHL were scored for hair shedding and hair density before and after 12 months of treatment with oral minoxidil 0.25 mg and spironolactone 25 mg.

Results: A total of 100 women were included in this observational pilot study. Mean age was 48.44 years (range 18-80). Mean hair loss severity at baseline was Sinclair 2.79 (range 2-5). Mean hair shedding score at baseline was 4.82. Mean duration of diagnosis was 6.5 years (range 0.5-30). Mean reduction in hair loss severity score was 0.85 at 6 months and 1.3 at 12 months. Mean reduction in hair shedding score was 2.3 at 6 months and 2.6 at 12 months. Mean change in blood pressure was -4.52 mmHg systolic and -6.48 mmHg diastolic. Side effects were seen in eight women but were generally mild. No patients developed hyperkalemia or any other blood test abnormality. Six of these women continued treatment, and two women who developed urticaria discontinued treatment.

Limitations: Prospective, uncontrolled, open-label observational study.

Discussion: Once daily capsules containing minoxidil 0.25 mg and spironolactone 25 mg appear to be safe and effective in the treatment of FPHL. Placebo-controlled studies to investigate this further are warranted.

nytimes.com
Does hair also grow in less desirable locations?
Old 08-24-2022, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Wigs and hairpieces have zero side effects, zero risks of side effects, can be mixed with any medications or foods, are easy to maintain, can be inexpensive OR expensive depending on your personal preferences for material/quality/style/length/coverage and if you do the paperwork correctly can be covered by certain medical insurance and can be deducted as a medical expense, if not covered by insurance.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
You mean like NYC ?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-24-2022, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,530 Times in 2,580 Posts

Quote:
If I could transfer all the hair that grows from my nose, face and ears to my head, I would have dreadlocks!

As for those two photos, all the subject seem to have done, is grow what he had a lot longer, then had it back combed combed and spread all over to hide the bald bits.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
As for those two photos, all the subject seem to have done, is grow what he had a lot longer, then had it back combed combed and spread all over to hide the bald bits.
Yes, you'd hardly call it natural-looking cover, but maybe it looks better from eye level.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:03 AM
Veteran member

I have used topical minoxidil off and on for years. It has made a difference when I applied it regularly.

But recently I have tried another method that has much more noticeable results in just a few months. That is combining minoxidil and Propecia (finasteride) together and apply it topically. I no longer have thinning hair, I have thickening hair. I am seeing my hair coming in much lower on my forehead where I haven't seen it for decades.

There are companies that sell it such as HIMS. But I prefer to make my own by crushing the finasteride pills and adding it to the minoxidil. I believe it is safer and more effective than taking it orally. There are Youtube videos that demonstrate how to do it.

There will be new(and expensive) methods that will grow your hair back faster but they say once you are completely bald in an area it will not help.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:50 AM

I am happy for you. I agree health is more important than appearance. That does not negate the possibility of tending to both. - - You do not say if you are male or female, single or married. For a single woman, appearance makes an over-size difference in quality of life. People will not tend to make friends with a woman if they do not like her looks. (Can also be true for men, but generally to a lesser extent.) People tend to get into fewer of those "friendly conversations" at clubs, etc., if they do not like the looks of the potential conversation partner. People do not like the looks of a balding woman.

Quality of friendships and conversations affects both physical and mental health. Thanks for understanding.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Hair is purely cosmetic and when one gets old hair is very low on the list of important features that really matter. I’m much more concerned with staying thin, muscular, flexible, and managing the aching joints. Plus I save lots of time and money on superficial stuff like haircuts and shampoo and there is certainly no need for a swimmers cap when doing laps. On the flip side, it’s good to keep the old scalp lubed up with waterproof suntan lotion and wear a baseball cap when outdoors in the sun. I’m certainly not taking some pill that has who knows what side effect to try to grow some hair on top off this old body.
It’s definitely not low on the list for women.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
On occasion. The Spironolactone pill prevents that, while the little Minoxidil pill makes the hair grow.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If I could transfer all the hair that grows from my nose, face and ears to my head, I would have dreadlocks!

It was two photos of the same woman.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,530 Times in 2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
It was two photos of the same woman.
Which is what I stated.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:41 AM

I read an article the other day that talked about Saw Palmetto as being the best to limit the DHL hormone that causes the hair to thin. This was the substance that the indians used to to have long hair when the English arrived.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
You mean like NYC ?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Closed Thread

Tags
hair, minoxidil, women, treatment, loss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.