Potassium Supplements

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2023, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The whole lot come to under 1200 calories.
None are without protein, and easy to add extra.
You would only need about 2/3rds of that list to cover the suggested potassium intake.
I get 1,500 calories for the list without toppings for the potato or chips for the mashed avocado.

So over 50% of my daily calories would come from eating 2/3 of that list each and every day! Yes, there are other sources, many of which I have never heard of and most of which I have never eaten.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-21-2023, 08:22 AM

And we're to believe a government recommendation????
About 30 years ago, they inverted the food pyramid, putting carbs as a basic element and a huge part of the population got fat.
During the early COVID days they made all sorts of (poorly founded) recommendations that did not prevent the spread of the disease, seriously damaged the economy, deprived many people of their jobs, and set our school children back years.
We're supposed to trust them???
Wanna bet that Chiquita is behind the potassium recommendation?
Old 08-21-2023, 08:23 AM

Weird musings once again.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:06 AM

Better then drinking bleach?
Old 08-21-2023, 09:53 AM

We do a morning blended drink of banana, coconut water (600mg/c) spinach (170mg/c) and avocado (974mg med) and just mix in oranges or other fruits.That gets you about 2/3 of the way there. It tastes fine, is natural, isn't that filling and there are plenty of benefits outside of potassium.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Which NIH page has that paragraph? With so many pages it wouldn't be too surprising if they get out of sync.
Potassium - Health Professional Fact Sheet
Old 08-21-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Government recently revised the daily recommendation for potassium up to 4,700 mg. I was eating a banana every day, which has 420 mg, but I quickly got tired of eating them. Most of the supplement pills in the drug stores have only 99 mg, which is only 2 percent of the Government recommendation. Why? I did find some pills on Amazon that have more than 99 mg, but I don't know if they are safe.
Taking more potassium and magnesium seems to help to prevent leg cramps. But, can someone please explain how a person is supposed to get 4,700 mg of potassium?
I surely would NOT listen to anything our government has to say which is very badly broken and corrupt about anything and thats also including those deadly covid jabs......they are planning a new wave of covid and lockdowns again...........they dont know right from wrong............you do whats right for YOU
Old 08-21-2023, 10:14 AM

When I flew on large aircraft in the Air Force, I was routinely susceptible to air sickness. I was asked once, "Why do you always bring a banana when you fly? Is it because of the potassium?" My response was, "Because it always tastes the same going out as it did coming in." Lol!

SMSgt (RET)
Old 08-21-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Here's what I found:
- 1 cup of white beans 840 MG of potassium
-1 large baked potato with skin 1600 MG
-1/2 cup beets 260
- 1 cup cooked spinach 840
-1 cup of tomato sauce 730
- 1 cup orange juice 500
1 banana 450
- 1 cup mashed avocado 1120
-1 cup yogurt 380
That all added up to 6720 MG, so it's possible to come close to 4000 if you do your homework and enjoy the high potassium food sources.
Good health to us all!
Quote:
Thanks. It sounds like a lot of calories and not much protein.
Breakfast: a cup of yogurt with half a banana sliced into it, and half a cup of orange juice, and a 1/3 cup (dry) of oatmeal with a pat of butter instead of milk, unsweetened dried cranberries, and a teaspoon of molasses instead of sugar to sweeten it.

Morning snack - the other half of the banana.

Lunch: a field greens (spring mix) salad - 2 cups, with a handful of grape tomatoes or a small off-the-vine tomato, cut into chunks, a tablespoon of roasted unsalted sunflower seeds, a couple tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese, with fresh-made garlic tahini dressing made with tomato juice as the primary liquid instead of water. That'll be good for around 700 mg potassium, tons of vitamins, a little fat, protein, and other essential nutrients, low (but not zero) carb.

So - for dinner, have a 1/4 pound sirloin steak with just black pepper for the seasoning with a baked potato topped with shredded cheddar cheese, no sour cream, no butter, and spinach cooked with minced garlic and a touch of olive oil.

That is a LOT of food. It's also around 1200 calories, which is what the average healthy average sized average-everything person would have to maintain their average weight. It's also plenty of ALL nutrients.

For dessert, you could have around 40 pistachios (unsalted) to boost that potassium level even higher. That's just under an ounce.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. It looks like I was editing my post above at the same time you posted this.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-21-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
I surely would NOT listen to anything our government has to say which is very badly broken and corrupt about anything and thats also including those deadly covid jabs......they are planning a new wave of covid and lockdowns again...........they dont know right from wrong............you do whats right for YOU
Old 08-21-2023, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

"We're from the government and we're here to help"
Old 08-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
Someone seems to be using a lot of Q-tips.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilePepper View Post
When I flew on large aircraft in the Air Force, I was routinely susceptible to air sickness. I was asked once, "Why do you always bring a banana when you fly? Is it because of the potassium?" My response was, "Because it always tastes the same going out as it did coming in." Lol!

SMSgt (RET)
Bill Engvall (Redneck Comedy Tour) tells a similar story about when he flew with the Blue Angels...

He was told to eat "peanut butter" for the very same reason...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-21-2023, 11:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Easy

We just use potassium instead of salt in our water softener. We have had zero issues.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Closed Thread

Tags
potassium, pills, eating, recommendation, government

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.