Pre-existing Condition?

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2020, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
Don’t be fooled! We have clearly and undeniably been informed this will not happen.
In that case you had better really start saving and worrying!
Old 06-29-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Look at the brief submitted by the President. He asks that all the provisions of the ACA be trashed. He does not ask that the pre-existing coverage provision be retained. He did not ask that the requirement that the cost of the coverage not be based on pre-existing conditions. He does not have the authority as he is not an autocrat to order the insurance companies to sell insurance to people with pre-existing conditions. He does not have the authority to tell insurance companies to sell policies at the same price to those who are well and those who are ill or potentially ill. He has supported a bill which specifically deals with pre-existing conditions and which allows the insurance company to charge whatever premium they wish to those who are unwell. The bill also guts the required coverage of the basic insurance. Right now carriers are required to cover medications. Delete that coverage and see what the effect might be on people with diabetes or cancer.
Gut the ACA and have nothing to replace it. Makes you wonder.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:17 PM

Additionally, people are being gaslit into thinking that is not the case. Watch what they do not what they say.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
Don’t be fooled! We have clearly and undeniably been informed this will not happen.

Hi Luisa,

There is more recent information available now that you might not have heard about. There are several informative posts in this thread that give more detail.

Below, I have added a part of an earlier post from me. I was addressing another poster who had told me basically the same thing as you said in the above quote here.

You do not even need to read everything I wrote, but please look at the part with the numbered steps of directions that will take you to an article from Fortune magazine, late last week. (I blushingly admit that I do not know how to link when I am on my iPad so I just gave those short directions on how to find the article. I am blushing also because I am quoting myself — always seems like bad manners or at least a little tacky.)

Anyway, if you follow those directions, you will find information on what is currently happening — and it is a definite threat to the protection of pre-existing conditions.

I hope you will take a look so you will have more current information.

Boomer

Here goes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
- - - - - - -

I am talking about the fact that that late last Thursday a brief was filed that threatens the protection of preexisting conditions. The “guy” to whom you refer in your post fully supports that filing. The argument is to completely strike down that which contains the protection of preexisting conditions.

In my opening post here, please notice that I said, “No matter where your loyalties lie, no matter whether you have younger people in your life to love, please pay attention, stay informed — from a variety of sources.

I am telling you that while the nation is enveloped in chaos, behind the scenes the case to nail the coffin shut on the protection of preexisting conditions is on the march toward the final decision.

When I wrote yesterday’s post, I did it from my own thinking about whether Covid could be termed a pre-existing condition if the protection is struck down.

This morning I did a Google search and found an article in Fortune asking the same question about the threat to preexisting conditions protection.

May I ask that you please do the following so that you can find more current information than what you seem to have:

1. Go to Google.
2. Type in the words ‘preexisting condition’ and ’Covid’ and ‘Fortune.’
3. Just typing those 4 words into Google search will take you to the article in Fortune which will explain some details of what is going on right now that threatens the protection of pre-existing conditions.
4. Go for it. All you will really need to read is the first sentence in the Fortune magazine article.

I graciously and sincerely hope you will take the time to do that little search so that you will have the most recent information. Confining yourself to limited sources of information is not a way to stay truly informed.

I remain,
Cassandra Boomer

PS: Btw, if there is any curiosity about why I sometimes sign off as Cassandra Boomer, it’s a reference to Greek mythology. You can Google the words ‘Cassandra’ and ‘Trojan War’ — and you will quickly find a short explanation. I knew, going in, that my Cassandra shtick would apply here. (sigh)

Last edited by Boomer; 06-30-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

How about this. Just eliminate all forms of health insurance, managed care, and HMOs. Watch the price of medical practice and care go down to something more reasonable. Much of Ophthalmology is already this way. If you want LASIK, you shop around and buy it. Honest bills, not hyper-inflated to four and five times the price the doctors have already agreed to pay.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
How about this. Just eliminate all forms of health insurance, managed care, and HMOs. Watch the price of medical practice and care go down to something more reasonable. Much of Ophthalmology is already this way. If you want LASIK, you shop around and buy it. Honest bills, not hyper-inflated to four and five times the price the doctors have already agreed to pay.
I completely agree—and unfortunately it'll never happen. The primary flaw in ACA is that there was no way to get away from access to health care being run by the insurance industry—a powerful lobby—deciding who gets care and who doesn't. Two telling stories:

When one starts taking blood thinner Coumadin, one must be tested regularly to make sure the level of the med is within a range that will make it effective at preventing blood clots but not so effective that it would not prevent clotting. Back in the day, the lab charged $28 for this test—but an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from the insurance company revealed it paid the lab $2 as full payment. How can the lab stay in business receiving $2 for a $28 test, and with the insurance company dictating to the lab that it will pay only $2, and who pays $28? The response was 'Oh, only the uninsured pay the full amount!' Believable?

Following an accident in a Third World country (where a pair of shoes cost about $75, a suit off the rack about $150, and food at the supermarket about the same as here), the cost of excellent basic health care (medical, surgical, anesthesia, hospital, prescription meds, and so forth) was a pittance of comparable care here. Imagine a private hospital suite at $35/day! How is health care so reasonable? In their view, the well qualified physicians see themselves as upper middle class workers, not demigods; they themselves own the hospital facility; and the primary reason, they say: there is NO INSURANCE INDUSTRY! Private hospitals for private care; public hospitals supported by everyone through taxes to provide care to everyone not receiving it otherwise.
Closed Thread

Tags
pre-existing, coverage, condition, insurance, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.