Prescription drugs on TV ads

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2022, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The catch of the century - Henry David would be proud of that!
Again, it would have been, but alas, you did not read the response
Old 01-27-2022, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Ted Kennedy was for decades the chief senate proponent of socialized medicine. He also had a hand in various bills that affected hospitals, doctors, pharmaceutical companies, and health insurance companies. He did a lot of good, even though he wasn’t able to accomplish his goals. However, he was also a politician, with all the bad things that entails. Back in the 70s he had a “fact-finding mission” that traveled around the country holding meetings at hospitals. At the time, my dad was the head chaplain at an excellent church-affiliated hospital in Denver (now part of the AdventHealth system). He was also on the hospital administrative committee, so he was involved in preparation for Kennedy’s visit and in the room while Kennedy was “finding facts” by interrogating administrators while the press watched and snapped photos. My dad felt that Kennedy had no interest in “finding facts,” but was simply seeking publicity and trying to further his agenda. My dad felt that Kennedy seriously misrepresented the hospital, asked unfair questions, and put well-intentioned answers in the worst light. Granted, this seems to be the case with many such meetings held by legislators. They often seem to know the answers they want to hear. As committee chair in the Senate, Kennedy didn’t SIGN these health bills, but he did have to sign off on such bills before they were presented to the entire Senate by the committee.

Health care legislation is difficult partly because of massive lobbying efforts by pharmaceutical companies, the AMA, hospitals, and insurance companies. They all want to protect their profits. One of the effects of Kennedy’s work was that hospitals stopped charging set fees for surgeries and other procedures and began itemizing everything used and billing piece by piece. I was working in an O.R. when that began, and I remember how much extra work it caused the circulating nurses who had to list everything used. I don’t think it saved any money. Hospitals and doctors soon learned how to use the system to maximize income. Similarly, pharmaceutical companies gained the right to advertise drugs, but then a few years later, new regulations required the companies to list side effects in ads—as fast as possible. It’s a constant war between government and businesses trying to make more money. Oh, and we can also throw into the mixture lawyers who promise to find malpractice where none exists and get you a big payout. I’m on the side of the consumer, usually, but I’m also on the side of doctors and hospitals, and I also make money from profits from pharmaceutical companies through my retirement investments.
Pretty informative post, thanks. As far as "they (politicians) seem to know the answers to the questions that they ask" - I would point out that MOST Washington politicians are pretty smart people. And, many are lawyers, which are taught to NOT ask witnesses questions for which the lawyers do NOT already know the answer.
.....Funny how Canada, Mexico, and all other 1st world countries have found a way to avoid those problems and pass savings on to the health care consumer.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Pretty informative post, thanks. As far as "they (politicians) seem to know the answers to the questions that they ask" - I would point out that MOST Washington politicians are pretty smart people. And, many are lawyers, which are taught to NOT ask witnesses questions for which the lawyers do NOT already know the answer.
.....Funny how Canada, Mexico, and all other 1st world countries have found a way to avoid those problems and pass savings on to the health care consumer.
And they get what they pay for

PS: Mexico is a first world country??????
Old 01-27-2022, 03:02 PM

Supplements are not a food or drug so they don't require FDA approval..but they should be made in a FDA approved lab.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:07 PM

I agree with you, and I love it when they say, “ If you are allergic to this medicine, don’t take it .”
Old 01-27-2022, 03:24 PM

Do a simple search and you will find the answer.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:58 PM
Default Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I find TV ads about prescription drugs quite disturbing. The crazy long list of side effects included in these ads are such a turn off while watching TV. In Canada, direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs is prohibited as a health protection measure. Manufacturers cannot advertise prescription-only drugs directly to the public because of their toxicity and the potential for harm from medically unnecessary or inappropriate use.
For me, I assume my doctor is the professional who will know what meds are appropriate for me. So my question to you is: has anyone ever gone to their doctor and tell them they want a certain drug they saw on TV?
No. Most don't have any idea.
Closed Thread

Tags
drugs, prescription, ads, doctor, harm

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.