Probable knee replacement

Old 03-26-2024, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts
Default Probable knee replacement

I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

My goal is to get back to bowling and some golfing without the current pain.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

Had my right knee replaced 13 years ago with the old fashioned front procedure. Knee still works great except it’s difficult to kneel on it. I had it done up north so can’t recommend a doctor in the greater Villages area. I’m very happy I had it done and the left one will be getting replaced very soon when I’m eligible for Medicare and a good Medigap plan. Football, basketball, lacrosse, water skiing, and mogul sking trashed my knees at a relatively young age. The key to a successful replacement (other than a good surgeon) is to really commit to work hard on the post operative rehabilitation regime. If you don’t work hard on the range of motion exercises (which are painful), you’ll never get back close to full range of motion. Any exercise you can get pre operative to strengthen the leg and muscles around the knee will also help with the recovery process. Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:

My wife had a knee replacement done by Dr. Karl Siebuhr of Reconstructive Orthopedics in Ocala. Had the procedure done December 1st and is now playing golf. We cannot say enough how wonderful both he and his office is to work with. He's so good patients go to him to fix mistakes other orthopedic doctors make.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Without question, Dr. Steve Nguyen is the go to TKR surgeon. He replaced my left knee 11 years ago and I'm still pain free and mobile. I recommend being diligent with respect to physical rehab, which should cover about three months. I was back to bowling soon after rehab with no ill side effects, even to this day.
He does the side approach, and I've heard he now does it as an out patient, though I can't confirm that.
I put up with knee pain since high school, so my experience says "get it replaced " as soon as Dr. Nguyen is available. Good Luck!!!

Steve Nguyen, MD, FAAOS | Joint Replacement Surgeon and Orthopaedic Surgeon Orlando FL
Old 03-26-2024, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

You have been a great help to many here, demonstrating a thoughtful, analytical thinking process that will take you to the best outcome. There are many possible reason for knee problems and many ways to approach those problems. My knee problem is due to some structures being torn and other being delaminated , I was told that all they could offer is knee replacement,, if it bothered me enough. As one poster pointed out strengthening the knee prior to any surgery can be a great help in recovery, a strong knee is a happy knee, I am very active for a geezer, I have added a leg extension , leg curl attachment to my weight bench as long as I use it religiously, use aspercreme morning and night no problems,, Good luck
Old 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

I had my left knee done six years ago. Fantastic surgeon. Unfortunately he practices in Minnesota.

One thing I would suggest is to check your insurance coverage first. While it is true that most of the stuff that is done short of a replacement is merely a band-aid (my surgeon told me as much, admitting that anything he could do short of a replacement was only a short-term remedy at best) some insurances do require those band-aids, and will approve major replacement only in the event that the band-aids fail. Irritating as hell--it took me well over two years of dinking around when I could have had everything done--surgery and healing--in less than a year. But necessary.

Your insurance might be different. But it doesn't hurt to check.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM

I'm curious as to how the Doc measured the "loss of cartilage"? I had some knee issues back in my 20s (almost 40 yrs ago) and the orthopod Doc deduced that also in my case but, I don't remember how. Anyhow, they weren't really doing knee replacements back then and it would have been drastic for someone that age.

So, he put me on another plan - which was fairly intense physical therapy (appropriate at that age) with the idea being to build up the muscles surrounding the knee to compensate for its weakness (like another commenter mentioned). It basically worked. Fast-forward decades later and I've never had either knees replaced or even seen another orthopod about them.

Which also brings me to this -- and I know it will sound very simplistic but, it is worth a try and won't hurt you to do so. For a dozen+ years, I've taken a supplement of glucosamine with chondroitin, about 500 mgs/ 4 times p/week. But, if I were new to it, I'd take 1000 mgs/ 5 per/week and if it's going to help, you'll know in about 2 weeks. If the pain subsides, keep taking for another 2 to 4 weeks and then, if you want to test it, stop taking it and see what happens.

Twice, during those dozen+ years, I ran out of it, forgot about it and, oh boy, did my joints...mostly knees and elbows REMIND ME with deep aching. I got worried at first but, remembered I hadn't been taking the glucosamine, bought more and, both times, in about 10 days...all the pain disappeared. I have often wondered if many joint surgeries could be avoided by the simple taking of that "wonder drug" that eliminates the pain. However, don't expect the Docs to tell you about it. It's a revenue-killer for them.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Don't forget to check for "baker cyst" behind the knee.
That was my knee pain for months.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:31 PM

Hi - I'm four months since total knee replacement. It's not as bad as other orthopedic operations. Do rehab as suggested.

At seven weeks I was playing golf gently.

Dr. Timothy Van De Leur M.D.
Orthopaedic Institute Brownwood.

Getting other knee done in a few months. NOOO rush.

take care, dave
Old 03-26-2024, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:

Dr. Joe Tutorino, Jewett Orthopedic in Orlando, 407.629.2444. Has done both mine and my wife’s knees; a great surgeon. We were both back to playing golf in 6 weeks.

Last edited by kcrazorbackfan; 03-26-2024 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
I'm curious as to how the Doc measured the "loss of cartilage"? I had some knee issues back in my 20s (almost 40 yrs ago) and the orthopod Doc deduced that also in my case but, I don't remember how. Anyhow, they weren't really doing knee replacements back then and it would have been drastic for someone that age.

So, he put me on another plan - which was fairly intense physical therapy (appropriate at that age) with the idea being to build up the muscles surrounding the knee to compensate for its weakness (like another commenter mentioned). It basically worked. Fast-forward decades later and I've never had either knees replaced or even seen another orthopod about them.

Which also brings me to this -- and I know it will sound very simplistic but, it is worth a try and won't hurt you to do so. For a dozen+ years, I've taken a supplement of glucosamine with chondroitin, about 500 mgs/ 4 times p/week. But, if I were new to it, I'd take 1000 mgs/ 5 per/week and if it's going to help, you'll know in about 2 weeks. If the pain subsides, keep taking for another 2 to 4 weeks and then, if you want to test it, stop taking it and see what happens.

Twice, during those dozen+ years, I ran out of it, forgot about it and, oh boy, did my joints...mostly knees and elbows REMIND ME with deep aching. I got worried at first but, remembered I hadn't been taking the glucosamine, bought more and, both times, in about 10 days...all the pain disappeared. I have often wondered if many joint surgeries could be avoided by the simple taking of that "wonder drug" that eliminates the pain. However, don't expect the Docs to tell you about it. It's a revenue-killer for them.
My wife just picked up some for me I will try it out, thank you for the tip.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I had my left knee done six years ago. Fantastic surgeon. Unfortunately he practices in Minnesota.

One thing I would suggest is to check your insurance coverage first. While it is true that most of the stuff that is done short of a replacement is merely a band-aid (my surgeon told me as much, admitting that anything he could do short of a replacement was only a short-term remedy at best) some insurances do require those band-aids, and will approve major replacement only in the event that the band-aids fail. Irritating as hell--it took me well over two years of dinking around when I could have had everything done--surgery and healing--in less than a year. But necessary.

Your insurance might be different. But it doesn't hurt to check.
Interesting point about insurance, I guess i will be making some calls.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Without question, Dr. Steve Nguyen is the go to TKR surgeon. He replaced my left knee 11 years ago and I'm still pain free and mobile. I recommend being diligent with respect to physical rehab, which should cover about three months. I was back to bowling soon after rehab with no ill side effects, even to this day.
He does the side approach, and I've heard he now does it as an out patient, though I can't confirm that.
I put up with knee pain since high school, so my experience says "get it replaced " as soon as Dr. Nguyen is available. Good Luck!!!

Steve Nguyen, MD, FAAOS | Joint Replacement Surgeon and Orthopaedic Surgeon Orlando FL
Take care tinker, without doubt Dr. NGUYEN, you won't be sorry, many many friends highly recommend.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

For my ten cents, all I would add is, do the exercises religiously after surgery, and use plenty of ice in between.
My replacement knee is now the best joint in my body.
Go for it.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Dr. Timothy VanDeLeur at Orthopedic Institute. He has an office at the Brownwood Specialty Care Facility. He will take the time to discuss your specific problem. He will not rush you into surgery if he feels you have other options at the time. He replaced my husband's hip and my knee. I lead 2 exercise classes a week and I was back to my regular activities in a few weeks. I followed all of his instructions and went to physical therapy as he prescribed. P.S. I went to St. Pius X High School in Pottstown, PA so you know I wouldn't steer you wrong. :-)

Tags
advice, procedure, people, knee, replacement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.