Probable knee replacement

Old 03-27-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
I'm curious as to how the Doc measured the "loss of cartilage"? I had some knee issues back in my 20s (almost 40 yrs ago) and the orthopod Doc deduced that also in my case but, I don't remember how. Anyhow, they weren't really doing knee replacements back then and it would have been drastic for someone that age.

So, he put me on another plan - which was fairly intense physical therapy (appropriate at that age) with the idea being to build up the muscles surrounding the knee to compensate for its weakness (like another commenter mentioned). It basically worked. Fast-forward decades later and I've never had either knees replaced or even seen another orthopod about them.

Which also brings me to this -- and I know it will sound very simplistic but, it is worth a try and won't hurt you to do so. For a dozen+ years, I've taken a supplement of glucosamine with chondroitin, about 500 mgs/ 4 times p/week. But, if I were new to it, I'd take 1000 mgs/ 5 per/week and if it's going to help, you'll know in about 2 weeks. If the pain subsides, keep taking for another 2 to 4 weeks and then, if you want to test it, stop taking it and see what happens.

Twice, during those dozen+ years, I ran out of it, forgot about it and, oh boy, did my joints...mostly knees and elbows REMIND ME with deep aching. I got worried at first but, remembered I hadn't been taking the glucosamine, bought more and, both times, in about 10 days...all the pain disappeared. I have often wondered if many joint surgeries could be avoided by the simple taking of that "wonder drug" that eliminates the pain. However, don't expect the Docs to tell you about it. It's a revenue-killer for them.
SYNFLEX, great stuff!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
My wife just picked up some for me I will try it out, thank you for the tip.
I second glucosamine. Had a very sore shoulder about 10 years ago, primary care physician told me to take one a day and very soon pain totally went away. Told me to continue take one a day and so far so good. If it helps you should know in a few days.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
it is worth a try and won't hurt you to do so. For a dozen+ years, I've taken a supplement of glucosamine with chondroitin, about 500 mgs/ 4 times p/week. But, if I were new to it, I'd take 1000 mgs/ 5 per/week and if it's going to help, you'll know in about 2 weeks.
I 2nd the motion for glucosamine-chondroitin. Starting taking 750mg per day 20 years ago for degenerative disc disease. I was wearing a back brace for any activity then. After just a year, my back was so much better and I've never been laid up again for 20 years now!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:51 PM

Agree with Bagboy response. Knee replacement 3 yrs ago by Dr. Steve Nguyen and outpatient surgery.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I know a softball player that was very fast and could play the outfield well. He had a knee operation of some kind (total, partial ????). he NEVER really recovered his speed after that operation and he could only play 1st base. I know a tennis player that wanted to have both knees done at once. Most Doctors would NOT do that. He finally found one that would. He took a long time to recover. Prior to the surgery he was a capable singles player. After the operation he was a very incapable doubles player that tired out easily. it was a shame because when he was 40 years old, he was BY FAR the best tennis player in TV Land. He had strokes as pretty as anything that you would see from professionals on TV.
..........My wife is in the medical field and she says to think twice BEFORE you get a knee operation and think 10 times BEFORE you get a hip operation. And I know that knee operations keep improving, but still?????
My wife also said that a knee operation should be done when the pain is very great AND THERE IS A "BONE ON BONE" situation. She also said that the rehab will be painful!
Old 03-27-2024, 02:46 PM

In addition to the glucosamine that others have suggested, I would suggest you try taking MSM (methylsulfonylmethane). I get mine from bulksupplements.com. It is an all natural sulfur that our bodies need and it gets depleted as we age. I have more than a dozen friends taking it, and every one of them has eliminated or greatly reduced their pain.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

My goal is to get back to bowling and some golfing without the current pain.
You’re a good guy. Thought you could use a laugh!

Every time somebody recommends a doctor, he's always the best. "Oh, is he good? -- Oh, he's the best. This guy's the best." They can't all be the best. There can't be this many bests. Someone's graduating at the bottom of these classes. Where are these doctors? Is somewhere someone saying to their friend, "You should see my doctor. He's the worst. Oh, yeah. He's the worst. He's the absolute worst there is. Whatever you've got, it'll be worse after you see him. Yeah. He's just a... He's a butcher. The man's a butcher." And then there's always that, "Make sure that you tell him that, you know, you know me." Why? What's the difference? He's a doctor. What is he...? "Oh, you know Bob. Oh, okay, I'll give you the real medicine. Yeah, everybody else I'm giving Tic Tacs ~Jerry Seinfeld
Old 03-27-2024, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Before you have any surgery, I would strongly suggest you read The Plant Paradox, by Dr. Steven Gundry MD (a famous cardiac and transplant surgeon / inventor) published 2017. NYT best seller. It is life-changing.
Years ago I had the same knee problem, and by my early 50s was being recommended to have replacement surgery. Between high quality supplements and dietary changes (which I researched and was taught about, even though Dr. Gundry's famous book came out years later) my knee problem healed, my joint space returned to normal, pain, swelling, and weakness / "giving way" / "catching sensation" problems gradually went away; and today at age 72 (73 next week) I have no joint or health problems at all. I never had to have that surgery.
Unfortunately, many physicians are unaware of these methods; though some probably are.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 03-27-2024 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:34 PM

Quote:
From Comment #54 - My wife is in the medical field and she says to think twice BEFORE you get a knee operation and think 10 times BEFORE you get a hip operation.
Couldn't agree more. I'm not anti-surgery by any means; it's absolutely necessary in some cases. But, there are millions performed every year in the USA that do not need to be. Surgeons want to operate, period. It's also how they make a living so, that has to be factored by the patient since it's a built-in conflict of interest. (The Hippocratic Oath went out the window for many Docs years ago, I'm sure plenty have noticed.) Try all non-invasive options first!

Regarding Comment #66 - I haven't read that book but, the overriding message here is really important. Better diets and appropriate supplements can make a huge difference in many health issues. I came across a book many years ago that looked so interesting. It was written by a Doctor a few decades ago whereby he claimed that most ill health occurs because of a lack of necessary vitamins or minerals. He detailed his findings and what deficiencies cause which illnesses plus what the optimal levels are for vitamins and minerals. But, grrrr, I bookmarked that book and no longer have that computer so I don't know the title or author! I will dig around and see if I can find it. Lastly, it has become commonly accepted that refined sugar is quite inflammatory and most American diets are very sugar-infused.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM

I avoided knee replacement with fetal stem cell injections. I still had some cartilage. The stem cells stimulated regrowth
I've been fully functional and pain free for 5 years. If you're brave switching to a vegan diet will eliminate knee arthritis pain in 2 weeks. My husband had a double knee replacement after he developed bowed legs. He did extremely well and returned to work part time within 2 weeks, full time in 3 weeks. He did intensive residential rehab. He was off pain meds in 6 days despite having both knees replaced at the same time. My stem cell injections were completely covered by my husband's Tricare for life. Talk to an Orthopedic surgeon or pain management doctor about stem cells. I don't know about the side approach. Many people believe it is an easier recovery because not as many muscles & ligaments are cut. In any case best of luck. Last, PT before replacement will help condition you to recover faster. PT will not replace the need for new knees.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
Before you have any surgery, I would strongly suggest you read The Plant Paradox, by Dr. Steven Gundry MD (a famous cardiac and transplant surgeon / inventor) published 2017. NYT best seller. It is life-changing.
Years ago I had the same knee problem, and by my early 50s was being recommended to have replacement surgery. Between high quality supplements and dietary changes (which I researched and was taught about, even though Dr. Gundry's famous book came out years later) my knee problem healed, my joint space returned to normal, pain, swelling, and weakness / "giving way" / "catching sensation" problems gradually went away; and today at age 72 (73 next week) I have no joint or health problems at all. I never had to have that surgery.
Unfortunately, many physicians are unaware of these methods; though some probably are.
I read Dr. Gundry's book and was very impressed. I have altered my diet somewhat on the basis of reading that book, however some of the menu recommendations can be somewhat expensive. I have no pain and perfect function in my knees. Occasionally a little pain in my right hip. I recommend that everyone read his book as it opens up a lot of possibilities, especially as we age.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I'm not anti-surgery by any means; it's absolutely necessary in some cases. But, there are millions performed every year in the USA that do not need to be. Surgeons want to operate, period. It's also how they make a living so, that has to be factored by the patient since it's a built-in conflict of interest. (The Hippocratic Oath went out the window for many Docs years ago, I'm sure plenty have noticed.) Try all non-invasive options first!

Regarding Comment #66 - I haven't read that book but, the overriding message here is really important. Better diets and appropriate supplements can make a huge difference in many health issues. I came across a book many years ago that looked so interesting. It was written by a Doctor a few decades ago whereby he claimed that most ill health occurs because of a lack of necessary vitamins or minerals. He detailed his findings and what deficiencies cause which illnesses plus what the optimal levels are for vitamins and minerals. But, grrrr, I bookmarked that book and no longer have that computer so I don't know the title or author! I will dig around and see if I can find it. Lastly, it has become commonly accepted that refined sugar is quite inflammatory and most American diets are very sugar-infused.
Regarding SUGAR. In 1960 I was reading a weight lifting magazine and a guy named Joe Weider (former Mr America and Mr Universe) wrote an article about sugar and how and why it was so bad for you. Since that time I have NEVER put a spoonful of sugar into anything that I ate or drank. I never buy sugar at the grocery. Unfortunately, it is difficult to avoid completely because it is an ingredient in most processed foods that we buy. If everyone eliminate sugar in their diet, the American lifespan would probably go up 3 to 5 years. And honey is REALLY not much better.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Regarding SUGAR. In 1960 I was reading a weight lifting magazine and a guy named Joe Weider (former Mr America and Mr Universe) wrote an article about sugar and how and why it was so bad for you. Since that time I have NEVER put a spoonful of sugar into anything that I ate or drank. I never buy sugar at the grocery. Unfortunately, it is difficult to avoid completely because it is an ingredient in most processed foods that we buy. If everyone eliminate sugar in their diet, the American lifespan would probably go up 3 to 5 years. And honey is REALLY not much better.
Agree with your post and premise. I guess salt would fall into that category as well. For me, I do disagree with your honey take. Not the store grade stuff that is basically pancake syrup....but, in moderation, direct from the hive fresh honey is helpful to many that are able to consume it
Old 03-28-2024, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Agree with your post and premise. I guess salt would fall into that category as well. For me, I do disagree with your honey take. Not the store grade stuff that is basically pancake syrup....but, in moderation, direct from the hive fresh honey is helpful to many that are able to consume it
What does this thread have to do with knee surgery?
Old 03-28-2024, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankygrl View Post
What does this thread have to do with knee surgery?
Maybe if people read threads in their entirety, they would know that I responded to a prior post authored by someone other than me.

Tags
advice, procedure, people, knee, replacement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.