Probable knee replacement

Old 03-27-2024, 07:01 AM

Injections are good. If doing surgery Dr Steve Nguyen best surgeon. Has f/u office here. Definitely have side approach. I've had both. World of difference. Exercise BEFORE and after. Including pool Exercise. Good luck. Lavelle
Old 03-27-2024, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

First get a full knee replacement, you do not want to go through another surgery within a few years, second be faithful with your PT. Very important, you want to get full flexion and extension, and lastly, use ICE. Really important to ice your new knee during the healing process to help reduce inflammation, which holds you back from getting extension.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
I'm curious as to how the Doc measured the "loss of cartilage"? I had some knee issues back in my 20s (almost 40 yrs ago) and the orthopod Doc deduced that also in my case but, I don't remember how. Anyhow, they weren't really doing knee replacements back then and it would have been drastic for someone that age.

So, he put me on another plan - which was fairly intense physical therapy (appropriate at that age) with the idea being to build up the muscles surrounding the knee to compensate for its weakness (like another commenter mentioned). It basically worked. Fast-forward decades later and I've never had either knees replaced or even seen another orthopod about them.

Which also brings me to this -- and I know it will sound very simplistic but, it is worth a try and won't hurt you to do so. For a dozen+ years, I've taken a supplement of glucosamine with chondroitin, about 500 mgs/ 4 times p/week. But, if I were new to it, I'd take 1000 mgs/ 5 per/week and if it's going to help, you'll know in about 2 weeks. If the pain subsides, keep taking for another 2 to 4 weeks and then, if you want to test it, stop taking it and see what happens.

Twice, during those dozen+ years, I ran out of it, forgot about it and, oh boy, did my joints...mostly knees and elbows REMIND ME with deep aching. I got worried at first but, remembered I hadn't been taking the glucosamine, bought more and, both times, in about 10 days...all the pain disappeared. I have often wondered if many joint surgeries could be avoided by the simple taking of that "wonder drug" that eliminates the pain. However, don't expect the Docs to tell you about it. It's a revenue-killer for them.
I suspect that you had an MRI that diagnosed your loss of cartilage. If you had fluid aspirated you would likely see floating flakes of cartilage in the fluid that was removed.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:05 AM

Make sure your doctor will prescribe pain medication!!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

My goal is to get back to bowling and some golfing without the current pain.
I have had replacement of both knees. Yes you can live with the discomfort but why. First knee, over the top. Normal recovery, crutches, slow heal. Second knee over the side. I was walking with a walker that afternoon, on the street. Optimotion, has an office on. Hwy 44. I vote for the side.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:15 AM
Default Knee Replacement

My husband wishes he had done the surgery sooner. He is thrilled with the result! We highly recommend Dr. Michael Messieh for both his skill and manner. One caveat, the harder you are willing to work on your recovery therapy, the better your end result will be.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
I'm curious as to how the Doc measured the "loss of cartilage"? I had some knee issues back in my 20s (almost 40 yrs ago) and the orthopod Doc deduced that also in my case but, I don't remember how. Anyhow, they weren't really doing knee replacements back then and it would have been drastic for someone that age.

So, he put me on another plan - which was fairly intense physical therapy (appropriate at that age) with the idea being to build up the muscles surrounding the knee to compensate for its weakness (like another commenter mentioned). It basically worked. Fast-forward decades later and I've never had either knees replaced or even seen another orthopod about them.

Which also brings me to this -- and I know it will sound very simplistic but, it is worth a try and won't hurt you to do so. For a dozen+ years, I've taken a supplement of glucosamine with chondroitin, about 500 mgs/ 4 times p/week. But, if I were new to it, I'd take 1000 mgs/ 5 per/week and if it's going to help, you'll know in about 2 weeks. If the pain subsides, keep taking for another 2 to 4 weeks and then, if you want to test it, stop taking it and see what happens.

Twice, during those dozen+ years, I ran out of it, forgot about it and, oh boy, did my joints...mostly knees and elbows REMIND ME with deep aching. I got worried at first but, remembered I hadn't been taking the glucosamine, bought more and, both times, in about 10 days...all the pain disappeared. I have often wondered if many joint surgeries could be avoided by the simple taking of that "wonder drug" that eliminates the pain. However, don't expect the Docs to tell you about it. It's a revenue-killer for them.
Here's another vote for the miracle capabilities of glucosamine with chondroitin. During the course of 40 years of long distance running, I trashed my knees, very early on. In the last 5 years, the pain was so bad that I could not bend or run. I tried glucosamine without chondroitin and it did nothing for me. I could hear my knees crunch when I bend. About 2 years ago, a friend told me about the significance of adding chondroitin to the glucosamine. I gave it a try. The first 3 weeks did nothing. Around week 4 I started noticing relief. 2 years later, I am back running and 90% pain free.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:22 AM
Default Knee replacement I

Quote:
I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

I was told I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement! I seen an ad for Aromotion. Had the procedure done. No surgery, no pain and still have my knee! It has been 8 months since the procedure!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:29 AM
Default My experience with knee replacement

Quote:

My replacement was in 2019. Any surgeon you are considering you can google their education and experience info. Mine was not local so I can't give you a local name but can suggest a few things to make all easier for recovery.
Sign up now with a therapist to start building up your leg muscles so your muscles are strong post surgery rehab. Your doc will set you up with therapy group post surgery that will be in your home for several weeks then move to a local center for continued therapy. Go online Amazon and purchase a shower chair, a toilet seat elevation seat and an adjustable leg elevation pillow looks like a leg trough (you can thank me later) and Senecot. You will be miserable from the pain pills without the Senecot help. Knee replacement is so perfected and if you do all your exercises faithfully post surgery you will say why didn't I get this done sooner!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:

My wife had both knees replaced a year apart, so I'm looking at this from the role of caregiver. Both of hers were the front procedure, and she couldn't be happier. The first two months are the worst with diminishing pain but swelling would continue. So ice, ice ,ice. My advice (multiple self inflicted surgeries) would be to do what your doc and PT tells, when they tell you to do it. I have seen first hand bad results of people that didn't follow orders. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:45 AM
Default Second this vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Without question, Dr. Steve Nguyen is the go to TKR surgeon. He replaced my left knee 11 years ago and I'm still pain free and mobile. I recommend being diligent with respect to physical rehab, which should cover about three months. I was back to bowling soon after rehab with no ill side effects, even to this day.
He does the side approach, and I've heard he now does it as an out patient, though I can't confirm that.
I put up with knee pain since high school, so my experience says "get it replaced " as soon as Dr. Nguyen is available. Good Luck!!!

Steve Nguyen, MD, FAAOS | Joint Replacement Surgeon and Orthopaedic Surgeon Orlando FL
My wife just had knee replacement by Dr Nguyen (pronounced Win). The surgery started at 9AM. She was out at 9:45 and by 1PM we were on our way back home. She seems to be recovering well.

My father had his two knees replaced about 10 years ago by Dr Nguyen. The have held up well.

I would highly recommend Dr Nguyen!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:47 AM
Default Knee replacement

Quote:

Optimotion Orthopedic phone 407-3553120. Best ever. Dr Dihn did mine 4 months ago. Surgery is in Orlando. Ask to see the Dr at the Wildwood office. There are 3 Dr. in this group. All are exceptional. Dr. Nguyen patented this procedure. He has been doing the side cut 15-20 yrs. Look at their web site.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:01 AM
Default Equipment needed for knee replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskopski View Post
My replacement was in 2019. Any surgeon you are considering you can google their education and experience info. Mine was not local so I can't give you a local name but can suggest a few things to make all easier for recovery.
Sign up now with a therapist to start building up your leg muscles so your muscles are strong post surgery rehab. Your doc will set you up with therapy group post surgery that will be in your home for several weeks then move to a local center for continued therapy. Go online Amazon and purchase a shower chair, a toilet seat elevation seat and an adjustable leg elevation pillow looks like a leg trough (you can thank me later) and Senecot. You will be miserable from the pain pills without the Senecot help. Knee replacement is so perfected and if you do all your exercises faithfully post surgery you will say why didn't I get this done sooner!
I agree with the recommended equipment noted above. I would add that you might also get at least 2 really good ice packs. For the toilet seat riser, please get one with arms to help you descend and rise safely. As an alternative, you could consider a bed side commode ( aka potty chair) that just sits over the toilet ( with the bucket removed). It can also be used as a shower chair. I will also add that post surgical pain combined with therapy is tough. In order to be successful, the pain must be controlled well enough to participate fully. Just sayin', as most people don't like to take their pain meds, and it can limit progress. The first 2 weeks are the worst. Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:02 AM

Dr. Pulido at U of F in Gainesville. Top notch!
Old 03-27-2024, 08:47 AM

Dr. Steve Nguyen is the go to TKR surgeon. He did my husband's 10 years ago, side incision, he was golfing, cycling and doing great after 4 weeks. He had his other knee done 14 years ago the front incision way and was in pain 6 months later and said he'd never do his other knee. After a lot of research we found Dr. Steve Nguyen and his then new side approach. After going to his office and talking with people who had had the surgery he went for it and was so happy he did. I know if I ever need a knee replacement I'm going with Dr. Steve Nguyen and the side approach myself.

Tags
advice, procedure, people, knee, replacement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.