Probable knee replacement

Old 03-27-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

My goal is to get back to bowling and some golfing without the current pain.
My husband had his knee replaced 10 years ago by Dr. Duke in Ocala, who put the wrong device in. Since he would not admit the error or fix it we went to Dr. Nguyen in Orlando (who now has an office in The Villages). Dr. Duke did the traditional incision while Dr. Nguyen did the side incision. Boy, could he tell a difference. The recovery is so much faster since muscles aren't being cut like in the traditional. He highly recommends Dr. Nguyen's office. You'll be back to bowling in no time. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:08 AM
Default Knee relacement

Quote:
I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

@10 years ago I had 2 total knee replacement (front) not side. One thing I say is REHAB,REHAB AND REHAB some more, good luck
Old 03-27-2024, 09:10 AM

My wife had both knees replaced by Optimotion Orthopedic. They do the side procedure. First one last July second one in January. Walking hours after the procedure with walker. Her surgery was done by Dr. Martinez who is a part of Dr Steve Nguyen’s group.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:23 AM

Dr. Sergio Martinez 407 355 3120. He has an office here in Wildwood. My friend had both her knees done by him and she was very pleased.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,240 Times in 2,819 Posts

Lots of good information in this thread. I would add that I highly recommend getting a cryo/cuff for post operative icing of the knee.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:41 AM

My doctor recommended the following: Turmeric, Osteo Bi-Flex (both available at Publix) and Tart Cherry 1,000mg available from Amazon. I've been taking this combination for four years and haven't needed a cortizone short during that time. Worth trying.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:36 AM

Tinker, Dr Messiah 352 248 6899. Local office @466 and Rolling Acres. Single practitioner with great staff. Did my knee 8 years ago. Hit shorter shots in 6 weeks, full swing in 8.
Recent visit for left knee pain. Drained and added cortisone shot. Solved that issue. Takes a common sense approach to solve the issue but can schedule surgery in a very timely fashion, not months out. I highly recommend him. He also does the less invasive side/lateral surgery that gets you back to life, quicker.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:04 AM
Default Dr. Tim Van De Leur

Quote:

The Orthopaedic Institute - Improving Lives Everyday For Over 30 Years
TIMOTHY VAN DE LEUR
17270 SE 109TH TERRACE Rd, SUMMERFIELD, FL 34491
(352) 336-6000
The Orthopaedic Institute, Several Locations including Somerville and Brownwood. Specializes in Knees and Hips only. From Rothman Institute in Philly. Extremely Thorough, Personable, Professional, Great Staff! I had Left Knee replaced 4 years ago and still get injections in my Right Knee. They seem to work for over a year. His quote is "you'll know when it is time".
Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I started experiencing knee pain in my early 60's. I have been taking Glucosamine / Chondroitin WITH msm for about 15 years now. I am relatively free of knee pain. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:27 AM

Dr Nguyen in Orlando did my wife surgery 2+ years ago. He does the side surgery and after surgery walked out of the hospital using a walker to assist. No pain now. Main thing is to make sure you follow up with the rehab instructions.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:

I know a softball player that was very fast and could play the outfield well. He had a knee operation of some kind (total, partial ????). he NEVER really recovered his speed after that operation and he could only play 1st base. I know a tennis player that wanted to have both knees done at once. Most Doctors would NOT do that. He finally found one that would. He took a long time to recover. Prior to the surgery he was a capable singles player. After the operation he was a very incapable doubles player that tired out easily. it was a shame because when he was 40 years old, he was BY FAR the best tennis player in TV Land. He had strokes as pretty as anything that you would see from professionals on TV.
..........My wife is in the medical field and she says to think twice BEFORE you get a knee operation and think 10 times BEFORE you get a hip operation. And I know that knee operations keep improving, but still?????
Old 03-27-2024, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,326 Times in 2,307 Posts

Thank you for the recommendation, I use to go past Cardinal O'hara high school, I grew up in Broomall, Pa.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:58 PM

Probably the best around is Dr Steve Nguyen (pronounced "Win") 407-355-3120
Old 03-27-2024, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,326 Times in 2,307 Posts

To ALL that have replies, a BIG THANK YOU, this has given me a lot to think about. I have just started with the OTC supplements knee brace should be on the way soon. I also received about a dozen or more private messages with additional information. So I will now be contacting 2 or 3 surgeons as well as my insurance to see what are the next steps.
Again thank you for all the replies.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laforce View Post
The possibility of the need for a revision procedure at some point in the post-surgical recovery process should be in the back of your mind. Doctors are human and therefore cannot always be as perfect as we would hope them to be. Knee replacements are prolific; however, they still require a lot of good judgement along with a lot of skill on the part of the doc. I would recommend having the procedure done by a doc/facility who uses a robot. The literature shows improved outcomes and a better patient experience.
Dr Siebuhr used a robot for my wife's knee. Got it to 140 degrees on the operating table. And the surgery before hers he was doing a revision procedure done by the side entry guy from Orlando.

Tags
advice, procedure, people, knee, replacement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.