Prostate cancer?

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I was treated at the Rad Center of Advanced Urology, and Dr Dersch is my urologist. I spent my working career in healthcare and did a lot of personal due diligence when I found out I had prostate cancer. I can tell you we are fortunate to have Advanced Urology here in TV.
Haven't heard of dersch. My husband saw Roach. Wonder if they are in same group?
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 PM

I learned I had prostate cancer after having high PSA readings over a number of years. After numerous biopsies which were negative, the last biopsy came out positive. There is a robotic surgery that can be performed. It's almost outpatient surgery. Your hospital stay will be almost overnight. I was not a good candidate because of other issues. I wound up starting with a hormone shot-then six weeks of radiation treatments. I can honestly sympathsize with ladies going through the "change" with the hot flashes. Radiation is painless although you do glow in the dark(just kidding). My last two PSA checks were zero. You will have to be checked every six months which can be a pain, but look at the alternative. Listen to what your doctor tells you. If needed, ask for a second opinion. There are alternate treatments. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Default Radioactive Seed Implants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
Dr mentioned the seeds but u can't be around children or the elderly. Didn't really recommend
I never heard of opting for radiation seed treatment and not being able to be around seniors or children. I think that is BS. I had radioactive seeds implanted years ago and was only told that I could not be cremated if I died within six months. The seeds eventually lose their radioactive strength after a few months anyway. I would not let that myth deter your decision on which procedure is better. Get a second opinion.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredwms View Post
I never heard of opting for radiation seed treatment and not being able to be around seniors or children. I think that is BS. I had radioactive seeds implanted years ago and was only told that I could not be cremated if I died within six months. The seeds eventually lose their radioactive strength after a few months anyway. I would not let that myth deter your decision on which procedure is better. Get a second opinion.
My urologist told me that I couldn't let children sit on my lap for six months. Murphy's Law dictated that we got a new grandchild right after my procedure. We also had to postpone my treatment six weeks until my doctor gave birth to her baby.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredwms View Post
Yes. Dr Roach definitely told us that but my husband won't consider the seeds hopefully tonight he can meet lots of guys at the support group that had it and can advise him
Old 09-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Gold member

I havnt seen any comments on the Robert boissoneault oncology institute for prostate cancer treatment. my urologist has recommended them to me. any comments from anyone having knowledge of them?
Old 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Veteran member

I had 33 radiation treatments there in 2001, after a lumpectomy for breast cancer. I could not have been more pleased with the care and treatments I received. My husband recently learned that he needs radiation following a prostatectomy 5 years ago and he was referred there. I feel that he will be in very good hands and will receive excellent care.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Gold member

Men with prostate cancer, watch your dairy! There is a link
Closed Thread

Tags
monday, advice, men, appreciated, told, biopsy, cancer, hubby, positive, wow, prostate, back, pricks, scary

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.