PSA test

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran member
Location: Full Time in the Village of Gilchrist (aka Party Central)
Default PSA Tests

I can speak from experience because I am a 14 year prostate cancer survivor. I was diagnosed at the age of 42 purely by accident due my former employer instituting PSA tests for all male employees as a part of our physicals. I was given all the options (wait & see, seeding, radiation, hormone therapy and surgery). I chose to have the damn thing taken out and don't regret my decision for one minute. I continue to have PSA's every year just to make sure that there has been no occurrence. I don't really care what all of the studies show and my GP just returned from a conference at Harvard University where the faculty has promoted the idea that the cost of performing 1000 tests does not outweigh the saving of the lives of the 8 men in whom cancer would have been found. Sounds to me like a corporate decision and a cost/benefit analysis. I don't believe you can put a value on a human life much less 8 human lives. IMHO - do the test and cost be damned! In the end, it's a very personal decision that each man must make in conjunction with his MD and significant other.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Most prostate cancer is the slow growing kind and one can try diet without great risk. Clark Howard, the consumer advocate who has his own radio program, has prostate cancer. He's in his 50s and has chosen not to have any treatment. I believe he calls it "watchful waiting". He announced this about 2 or more years ago and is still working and doing well. Whether diet is a part of his plan or not, he didn't mention.
Most drs will tell you that but know way of knowing for sure.There is no test to tell you that. Can you live with that in the back of your mind.Even drs I know that are friends of mine all my all say the same thing get rid of it.Prostate cancer is painful way to go.Now if I were in my late 60"s then I might wait because in my case it would have been about 8yrs before it would have had a effect on me and then could have a dose of radiation that would buy you another 7or 8 yrs that takes me to middle 80's but at 58 noway would I take chances that you don't have to.Same with colon cancer look at the people who could still be around if only went for tests.
Psa testing has saved a lot of life's and that is a fact.I have a friend who had a psa of about 3.2 had been low 2's a yr before what they found was Prostate cancer and had broke out of prostate Had he went your route he would not be around.With seeds and radiation he is fine after 6 yrs
Old 06-05-2012, 02:45 PM

Thank you everybody for your posts/input. This is a great example of why I follow this forum.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer in Sanibel View Post
Thank you everybody for your posts/input. This is a great example of why I follow this forum.
Follow, learn and verify.
Accepting any post as fact can get you in a lot of trouble.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Sage

Anyone's post is simply an opinion that they wish to share,
including a doctors.

That's why we get second opinions.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdh1470 View Post
Most drs will tell you that but know way of knowing for sure.There is no test to tell you that.
They may not know how fast the cancer will grow but they will know how aggressive the cancer is. There is a test called the Gleason test which indicates the aggressiveness of the cancer. I was diagnosed at age 51 after I had a PSA show a level of 6.4. The biopsy showed extensive cancer and a Gleason score of 7. I opted for a radical prostatectomy. The pathology from the prostate removed in surgery showed stage 3 prostate cancer and a Gleason score of 9, that's a very aggressive cancer.
Had I not had the PSA test my chances of survival would have been slim.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Anyone's post is simply an opinion that they wish to share,
including a doctors.

That's why we get second opinions.
AMEN, and, I might add, no one ever said that diet is a cure.
As far as I know, it reduces the PSA number and keeps the cancer in check. Dr. Dean Ornish talks about this in one of his books.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

No one is the same, each treatment is different. Age is a hugh factor. Even if caught early your life may never be the same. If treatment is done and your psa goes to O, it does not mean that mets will not arrive later...... the diagnosis is still prostate cancer. Words from Prostate Cancer for Dummies
Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 PM

Can you please be specific about it, what DIET?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 AM
Sage
Default Imho

Here is my story, sad but true...........about a girl that I once knew..... skip it.

I went to my PCP sveral years ago, and he informed me, that I had a silent heart attack, diabetes and possibly prostate cancer. Other than that, I was in good health.

Since i take my health seriously, I got my diabetes under control with a A1C reading under 6.0. I went for a stress test and sonogram and the test results were negative. I went to the urologists for my prostate and he gave me the option of waiting six months, and see where my PSA level was, or have a prostate biopsy. I opted for the priostate biopsy, and it came back negative. This test is one of life great joys, NOT.......

The urologist on subsequent visits mentioned a supplement call Prostate 2.4, to keep my prostate healthy as I was having problems with imflammation of the uretha. I found prostate 2.4 to work very well for the inflammation and keeps my prostate level in the low 1's, as it previously was in the low 3's. The urologists also said that some people believe in the supplements,and some people don't. I guess it depends on whether it is helping you, to feel better.

I think every condition is different and we are not doctors who spent years in training for the various ways the diseases attack our bodies and we can only speculate of what is right for ourslves. One needs to trust their doctors judgement,as they know more than we do. I don't buy the diet theory for cancer, as a form of treatment, as I believe stronger medicaion, is needed, in most cases.

Please don't your last words be, "I should have had that test done earlier".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Sage

I am sitting here this morning enjoying my coffee, paper and HUSBAND because a PSA test indicated a problem - he had cancer - had surgery - is still clear 6 years later and has a PSA test every year to assure it has not reared its ugly head again. Our son will begin testing at age 40.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 AM

"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."

Last edited by kathyzapp; 01-15-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Gold member

The "experts" who challenged the validity of PSA testing were a panel of doctors with no credentials in the field. The chairperson was a female pediatrician and there was not a single urologist or oncologist on the panel.

This is analogous to having a paint and body man telling you not to change your oil.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.