Record High Number of New Cases for 1 day - Reported in FL Today

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Default Record High Number of New Cases for 1 day - Reported in FL Today

A record high number of new cases for one day - 1419, has been reported in Florida today.

At Florida's "peak" on April 17, there were 1413 new cases. Clearly, we now have a new peak for one day.

The Florida Department of Health has confirmed the following number of Villages residents who have been infected:
-Villagers in Sumter County - 67 cases
-Villagers in Lake County - 9
-Villagers in Marion County - 1

Additionally, here are the number of confirmed cases just outside the boundaries of the Villages:
-Summerfield - 29 cases
-Lady Lake - 17
-Wildwood - 9
-Fruitland Park 6

It's important to note that the above numbers do not include people who never reported their illness, but rather recuperated at home, as well as the number of people who were not symptomatic.

The virus is not going away any time soon. It does not understand the border of one community to the next. Just because you live in The Villages, you can still be exposed to catching it and to passing it on.

If it's not too much to ask, perhaps some of you might re-consider putting on that face mask when you walk into a public place, retail establishment, or rec center.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Or you can choose to stay in your home if you are in fear. Pneumonia, Flu, MI, Cancer lives on, or death by natural causes.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 PM

More testing, Dah!!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
A record high number of new cases for one day - 1419, has been reported in Florida today.

At Florida's "peak" on April 17, there were 1413 new cases. Clearly, we now have a new peak for one day.

The Florida Department of Health has confirmed the following number of Villages residents who have been infected:

Additionally, here are the number of confirmed cases just outside the boundaries of the Villages:
-Summerfield - 29 cases
-Lady Lake - 17
-Wildwood - 9
-Fruitland Park 6

It's important to note that the above numbers do not include people who never reported their illness, but rather recuperated at home, as well as the number of people who were not symptomatic.

The virus is not going away any time soon. It does not understand the border of one community to the next. Just because you live in The Villages, you can still be exposed to catching it and to passing it on.

If it's not too much to ask, perhaps some of you might re-consider putting on that face mask when you walk into a public place, retail establishment, or rec center.
True story: was at Walmart the other day. Checking out at the self-serve. Couple comes up behind me, guy starts loading while I'm still scanning and bagging my stuff. He is in front of his shopping cart, less than 2 feet from me. Neither of them have their masks on. I tell him he's a bit too close, could he please step back a little. He says "oh - no that's okay, we're okay." I said no, we're NOT okay, I'm asking him to keep his distance from me. He gets snippy and bends down to get something from the side-panel so now his head is maybe 6 inches away from my crotch. I looked up and told his wife that he needs to get his face away from my crotch. I figured maybe she'd understand that this isn't appropriate EVEN If there's no pandemic.

She just rolls her eyes, and the guy gets all ****y and the two of them turn around and leave and go to another self-checkout.

As I'm leaving the store, the woman comes closer from that self-checkout area and calls over to me "is this far enough away now?" I said yes it is, and kept going.

Seriously though - I don't give a rat's behind what YOU think about the masks and social distancing. But the policies of the STORE and the STATE are such that you need to do one or the other. If you're not interested in complying with the rules of civility, then remove yourself from civilization. You don't belong.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post

-Summerfield - 29 cases
-Lady Lake - 17
-Wildwood - 9
-Fruitland Park 6

Without looking at the number of tests performed, the number of cases doesn't really tell you much. In Florida, on April 17, they were performing about 10,000 tests per day, but now they are performing about 25,000 tests per day.

COVID-19
Old 06-05-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Without looking at the number of tests performed, the number of cases doesn't really tell you much. In Florida, on April 17, they were performing about 10,000 tests per day, but now they are performing about 25,000 tests per day.

COVID-19
But, on the other hand, just looking at the number of tests they are doing a day doesn't really tell you much.

Are they doing more tests just because they're doing more tests?

Or are they doing more tests because more people are presenting with symptoms?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
True story: was at Walmart the other day. Checking out at the self-serve. Couple comes up behind me, guy starts loading while I'm still scanning and bagging my stuff. He is in front of his shopping cart, less than 2 feet from me. Neither of them have their masks on. I tell him he's a bit too close, could he please step back a little. He says "oh - no that's okay, we're okay." I said no, we're NOT okay, I'm asking him to keep his distance from me. He gets snippy and bends down to get something from the side-panel so now his head is maybe 6 inches away from my crotch. I looked up and told his wife that he needs to get his face away from my crotch. I figured maybe she'd understand that this isn't appropriate EVEN If there's no pandemic.

She just rolls her eyes, and the guy gets all ****y and the two of them turn around and leave and go to another self-checkout.

As I'm leaving the store, the woman comes closer from that self-checkout area and calls over to me "is this far enough away now?" I said yes it is, and kept going.

Seriously though - I don't give a rat's behind what YOU think about the masks and social distancing. But the policies of the STORE and the STATE are such that you need to do one or the other. If you're not interested in complying with the rules of civility, then remove yourself from civilization. You don't belong.
Thank you. I'm so sick of the selfish idiots who think they can parade around without masks and get close to others. People have become too complacent. There is still no vaccine. We can't hide out in our houses every second of the day to avoid these selfish individuals - we have doctor's appointments, we need to get gas, groceries, go to the post office, bank, etc. Have a little consideration for the rest of the population. Its a serious public health issue, not your inalienable right to go around unknowingly infecting people.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
But, on the other hand, just looking at the number of tests they are doing a day doesn't really tell you much.

Are they doing more tests just because they're doing more tests?

Or are they doing more tests because more people are presenting with symptoms?
Well, if they didn't do any tests, then there would no confirmed cases. But, it seems to me that, if they did 10,000 tests on April 17 and 25,000 tests on June 4, and had about the same number of positive results on both days, that the pandemic is most likely not getting worse, and probably getting better.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Or you can choose to stay in your home if you are in fear. Pneumonia, Flu, MI, Cancer lives on, or death by natural causes.
I don't think that fear is the right descriptor here. (boy I hope that doesn't violate any rules, I don't want to get banned) I think that a lot of people are really trying to make the right decisions about staying at home.

I know personally four people who had Covid-19. Two became very sick and two died. Two sick, one of those was in ICU, taken to Ocala hospital, for ten days. Her sister had to be taken to E.R. for dehydration. The two of them had gone with a group of ten to eat dinner together on St. Patrick's day. Probably both in late sixties.

The two who died, one three days ago, the other nine days ago, were married for 62 years. 80 and 82 years old. (He died on his birthday) I don't think they knew how they contracted it.

I am been watching the Johns Hopkins tracker and checking into the Florida Department of health. Nationally it seems to average about 1100 deaths a day. It is a valid fact that most people who die are over 65.

Many of my friends are choosing to stay home a lot, when they go out they wear masks. They are doing projects in their homes and yards, many are still golfing, driving alone and not staying for lunch.

Maybe there is some fear. Yesterday I took my temperature for the first time since the beginning of March. I felt hot. It was two degrees higher than my usual. (If the damned thermometer is working right) Today it is fine. I am not scared now, but I was a little yesterday.

We are all trying to stay alive and enjoy life and try to make the right choices.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't think that fear is the right descriptor here. (boy I hope that doesn't violate any rules, I don't want to get banned) I think that a lot of people are really trying to make the right decisions about staying at home.

I know personally four people who had Covid-19. Two became very sick and two died. Two sick, one of those was in ICU, taken to Ocala hospital, for ten days. Her sister had to be taken to E.R. for dehydration. The two of them had gone with a group of ten to eat dinner together on St. Patrick's day. Probably both in late sixties.

The two who died, one three days ago, the other nine days ago, were married for 62 years. 80 and 82 years old. (He died on his birthday) I don't think they knew how they contracted it.

I am been watching the Johns Hopkins tracker and checking into the Florida Department of health. Nationally it seems to average about 1100 deaths a day. It is a valid fact that most people who die are over 65.

Many of my friends are choosing to stay home a lot, when they go out they wear masks. They are doing projects in their homes and yards, many are still golfing, driving alone and not staying for lunch.

Maybe there is some fear. Yesterday I took my temperature for the first time since the beginning of March. I felt hot. It was two degrees higher than my usual. (If the damned thermometer is working right) Today it is fine. I am not scared now, but I was a little yesterday.

We are all trying to stay alive and enjoy life and try to make the right choices.
Gracie were the four people you know Villagers?
Old 06-05-2020, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
Gracie were the four people you know Villagers?
Two live here and two did not live here.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

My general observation about who does and does not wear a mask is that the kind of person who thinks about community, about keeping others safe, about caring for the weak and the vulnerable.. that kind of person is willing to put up with the inconvenience of wearing a mask.

On the other hand, those who think of themselves and how wearing a mask interferes with their life or might indicate they feel any responsibility to protect others... Those people won't wear a mask because "freedom" While the meek might someday inherit the earth there are plenty of our citizens who only are too happy to make that not happen anytime soon.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

It never ceases to amaze me that we have all these prohibitions on us, yet thousand of protesters are on top of each other, shouting, spreading germs, yet someone who does something great like graduating from HS or College can't be honored with a graduation. Florida cancelled all University graduations through the rest of the summer. Really sad state of affairs. I saw a suggestion today on the internet: PERHAPS WE CAN HAVE ALL THE GRADUATES WALK THROUGH WALMARTS, LOWES, HOME DEPOT AND BE ANNOUNCED OVER THE SPEAKER.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Well, if they didn't do any tests, then there would no confirmed cases. But, it seems to me that, if they did 10,000 tests on April 17 and 25,000 tests on June 4, and had about the same number of positive results on both days, that the pandemic is most likely not getting worse, and probably getting better.
If the same number of people are getting sick, I don't see how things are getting better.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
If the same number of people are getting sick, I don't see how things are getting better.
The only way you are included in the confirmed cases number is if you have a test and the test is positive. If you don't get a test, you are not a confirmed case, regardless of whether or not you are sick. So, the more tests they do, the more confirmed cases they will have. If they tested every person in Florida tomorrow, the number of confirmed cases would go way up, but that wouldn't mean that the pandemic got worse.
Closed Thread

Tags
cases, number, villages, reported, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.