Recovery time for hernia operaion

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Recovery time for hernia operaion

I need a hernia repaired. What are the effects of this operation, recovery time, pain, etc. Thanks
Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 AM

Dr. Golkar did my hernia surgery this past February when we were there in The Villages.
He is an extremely busy Dr. so make your appointment soon. I had a relatively bad inguinal hernia on my left side which he did a repair on.
I consider my pain level tolerance quite high, I barely take a Tylenol. But I'm here to tell you that the pain after that surgery was excruciating !
It lasted about a week before it finally subsided, and I took maybe 1/4 of the prescribed pain pills.
Just make sure you have someone there to help you get up and down for that 1st week. And keep in mind eveybody reacts differently as far as the healing process, so you may heal faster than I did.
I do know that I definitely feel a whole lot better since that surgey, so also keep that in mind as well.
Good Luck and don't over think it.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsee View Post
Dr. Golkar did my hernia surgery this past February when we were there in The Villages.
He is an extremely busy Dr. so make your appointment soon. I had a relatively bad inguinal hernia on my left side which he did a repair on.
I consider my pain level tolerance quite high, I barely take a Tylenol. But I'm here to tell you that the pain after that surgery was excruciating !
It lasted about a week before it finally subsided, and I took maybe 1/4 of the prescribed pain pills.
Just make sure you have someone there to help you get up and down for that 1st week. And keep in mind eveybody reacts differently as far as the healing process, so you may heal faster than I did.
I do know that I definitely feel a whole lot better since that surgey, so also keep that in mind as well.
Good Luck and don't over think it.
I can second this opinion. My adult son went through almost exactly what Bitsee says and he was a young man at the time. He was in pain, slept on a pull out couch because he could not get up the stairs, his wife was at home with him and he suffered. But the hernia had to be repaired.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-16-2018, 12:28 PM

Pain... ditto, ditto. I had right side repair early December, 2014 and was driving 5-6 days later and playing golf by early-January. Also had open heart surgery (minimally invasive procedure) in 2013 and the pain from that was minimal compared to the hernia surgery. The surgeon cuts though muscle tissue to repair the hernia so that is the reason the greater pain. Also, be prepared for some "unusual" bruising to occur. It may not, but many times does. I googled the hernia surgery and found a blog by a guy who had the surgery and his daily routine following the surgery.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,935 Times in 2,457 Posts

I've had 3, two mesh and tuck. Follow instructions to tee. Don't cut anything short. Plan on at least 6 weeks or more recover with no straining for another few weeks. This includes straining on the stool. I felt mine rip using the bathroom weeks after the first surgery.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Man, sorry I asked...but I did ask....
Old 06-17-2018, 06:03 AM
Sage
Default Recovery time for hernia operaion

Had it done when I was 51, not a big deal. Go buy a bottle of fiber pills so your #2’s won’t ruin the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wiotte; 06-17-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

Had bilateral 25 years ago. Worst part was headache from anesthesia and/or no caffeine. Still feel sore in the areas at times.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Platinum member

Everyone’s different. My hubby has had 3. Most recent one 2 years ago. Dr. Sam Bundz at Leesburg Hospital. Almost no pain...never took a pain pill. BTW, Dr Bundz was great. He does a lot of hernias. Leesburg Hospital staff was very professional and kind. I don’t recall recovery time details. I do remember he wasn’t allowed to lift anything for a while.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:49 PM

I had surgery on May 10th for an inguinal hernia on my right side. I had almost no pain from the surgery; the feeling was more one of discomfort. The big issue for me was that during the procedure I aspirated fluid into my lung,
causing breathing issues and was admitted into the hospital for a day and a half for treatment by a pulmonologist. My surgeon told me that while I could not lift anything weighing more than 5 lbs. for a month, there were no restrictions regarding activities and that I would know what I could and could not do. I was back playing pickleball within a week although I limited my time on the court for a couple of weeks. I have been feeling 100 per cent for about two weeks now. I was in considerable pain prior to the surgery but again, almost no pain afterwards. In fact, I took none of the prescribed pain medication. I did take antibiotics for the lung issue for a week after being released from the hospital. I had no stitches where the incisions were made; the surgeon used a glue-like substance which subsequently dissolved.
Closed Thread

Tags
hernia, time, recovery, effects, pain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.