RSV vaccine

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2023, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts
Default RSV vaccine

Anybody got this vaccine? I am thinking about it.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Yes, had similar affects as with a flu shot. Sore arm and a little achey the day after.

It's ok to take with the flu shot if you don't mind both arms being sore.

Best to talk to your Doc first, as with any vaccine, there have been a few adverse affects reported.

Should You Get the New RSV Vaccine? > News > Yale Medicine

Last edited by Altavia; 09-15-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

We have DR appt in two weeks and plan to discuss that with her.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Discussed with my PCP. Got both RSV and Flu shot today at Publix. Also picked up donuts and cottage cheese at the same time. What a productive morning

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-15-2023, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

My doc suggested it, I researched it, and got it a week ago at Publix.
United Healthcare covers it 100%.
Easy peezy.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post

Already popping the popcorn. To the pleasure of many, I may just sit out and just watch this thread.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I talked to both my family doctor and pulmonologist about this vaccine, and both said it was a good idea. My pulmonologist told me that during COVID, when they were testing people, they found that RSV was more prevalent than they thought.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
Already popping the popcorn. To the pleasure of many, I may just sit out and just watch this thread.
I'm pleased already

But seriously, so far I like this thread. Everyone seems to have discussed it with their own doctor and taken the professional advice. No one (yet) has bragged about how they "did they own research" and "made their own decision". No one has tried to compare this new RSV vaccine with the controversy over mRNA vaccines. Of course, I'm not holding my breath.......
Old 09-15-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I'm pleased already

But seriously, so far I like this thread. Everyone seems to have discussed it with their own doctor and taken the professional advice. No one (yet) has bragged about how they "did they own research" and "made their own decision". No one has tried to compare this new RSV vaccine with the controversy over mRNA vaccines. Of course, I'm not holding my breath.......
Touche' but dammit you over came my resistance to posting.
Please try to ignore my long history of sarcasm and take these as a serioius questions. I truly have no idea what the answers are.
You had a full career as a doctor. The RSV vaccine is new, but I am guessing RSV is not.

So, how much education would the average family doctor have received in the last year or two on RSV and the vaccine?
Do they go back and take classes on it?
Or do they do their own research?
What research materials do they have access to that the average person does not as a result of their professional status?
If one doctor tells their patient "RSV, is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious. You are in excellent health and have no co-morbidities that would cause you to be at increased risk other than being 60, therefore lets wait a couple of years before you get the vaccine and make sure it is truly safe over the long run" and another Dr. said
Respiratory syncytial (sin-SISH-uhl) virus, or RSV, is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious. But better safe than sorry.
Would they both be right? Or would a doctor never make one of those two statements?
Old 09-15-2023, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Please try to ignore my long history of sarcasm and take these as a serioius questions. I truly have no idea what the answers are.
You had a full career as a doctor. The RSV vaccine is new, but I am guessing RSV is not.

So, how much education would the average family doctor have received in the last year or two on RSV and the vaccine?
What research materials do they have access to that the average person does not as a result of their professional status?
If one doctor tells their patient "RSV, is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious. You are in excellent health and have no co-morbidities that would cause you to be at increased risk other than being 60, therefore lets wait a couple of years before you get the vaccine and make sure it is truly safe over the long run" and another Dr. said
Respiratory syncytial (sin-SISH-uhl) virus, or RSV, is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious. But better safe than sorry.
Would they both be right? Or would a doctor never make one of those two statements?
Good post and waiting for Golfing Eagles to respond. Would like to ask him another question. Have you or members of your family gotten the vaccine so far or are you planning too? As I mentioned earlier in this thread it is a question to ask of our doctor later this month at our next appt.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

The vaccine isn't new. The earliest versions of the vaccine were unsuccessful and actually lethal in a few cases, and that was in the 1960's. There were other unsuccessful attempts on both adults and children vaccines. Several attempts over a few decades, with new information being utilized to improve on the previous version, from different scientists, and different laboratories, and completely different studies with different patients.

The current version is the result of a vaccine study that was supposed to begin in 2019, but then COVID showed up and the race was on to create an emergency vaccine for that, and the RSV vaccine study had to be shelved, after the initial trials had already been completed. The next set of trials for the RSV vaccine started around 2020, by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). Enter - me. I was in that trial. I'm a test subject, a guinea pig for the vaccine. I've had two shots, and was supposed to get a third but the studies proved that a second shot within a 2-year period didn't show enough improvement in odds to warrant that second shot, so they cancelled the third. The first shot was proven effective, and they're going to be testing some of the subjects who received the 2nd shot, somewhere around year 4 to see if subsequent shots are necessary or helpful.

But they were already proven safe, which is why the FDA approved it for use. I just had bloodwork done this week, and will finish out the year with bi-weekly calls starting in October since that's when the main RSV season begins. I get paid for each call, and extra for bloodwork. If I feel like I have a cold, flu, or any related symptoms that I can't attribute to my usual allergies, then I have to go in for a physical and swab, and I get paid for that too.

I -could- get the actual RSV shot any time, now that it's FDA approved. But if I do, then I am automatically disqualified from completing my contribution as a test subject in the trial. I've chosen to finish out the trial, and will likely get the shot next year.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Good post and waiting for Golfing Eagles to respond. Would like to ask him another question. Have you or members of your family gotten the vaccine so far or are you planning too? As I mentioned earlier in this thread it is a question to ask of our doctor later this month at our next appt.
Ok, that question is legitimate enough to warrant a serious answer.

I've been retired 8 years and have not yet looked into the new RSV vaccine, although I believe it is a traditional viral vaccine, unlike COVID. Also, the apparent discovery/infection of adults with RSV is new to me----it has historically been considered a disease of infants and newborns. Personally, I haven't decided whether or not to get this vaccine---but as I already advised everyone else, I'm going to discuss it with my physician, who will be up to date on it.

No, physicians don't "take classes" on every new vaccine or medication. Usually reading the product insert is adequate. There is a publication call "The Medical Letter" that generally does a short review of new meds and vaccines. Beyond that, most of us subscribe to either PubMed or Up to Date----2 professional medical sites that are extremely valuable (not the lay person versions).

Could you get different advice from 2 doctors? Of course---there is an old joke that put 10 doctors in a room and you'll get 10 different opinions, especially with something new. But most vaccines and new drugs are pretty thoroughly tested before they gain FDA approval---no, they're not always 100%, especially when there is an urgent need and they rush something through, but in general they do a good job.

As this develops I'll probably look at the incidence and prevalence of RSV in the over 65 population, and try as best I can to determine if it's for real or just hype.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I am passing on this vaccine, just as I have all the others. It’s a personal decision, I can make on my own.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I talked to both my family doctor and pulmonologist about this vaccine, and both said it was a good idea. My pulmonologist told me that during COVID, when they were testing people, they found that RSV was more prevalent than they thought.
Previously, RSV was typically lumped together with other respiratory infections that cause cold-like symptoms.

The Clinical Trial Investigator I worked with mentioned advancements in low cost, rapid, multiplexed molecular testing lead to a linkage between RSV and more serious lower respiratory infections in high risk groups.

RSV in Adults | American Lung Association
Old 09-16-2023, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post

Get the vaccine, shorten your life!
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, rsv, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.