Ruh Roh - COVID and masks close enough to be masking

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2023, 11:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts

Of course if you had it a week ago, then don’t wear a mask at all. It would be pointless.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 08-24-2023, 06:26 AM

If you do test positive, please don't go out, around others, while you are sick.
Even if you wear an N95 or better mask. That mask will saturate and fail. If you sneeze, it will blow covid around it. Masks are designed to block incoming air, not your exhaust that pushes it off your skin and allows covid to bypass the mask and infect people around you.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:38 AM
Gold member
Default Masks don’t protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
If you do test positive, please don't go out, around others, while you are sick.
Even if you wear an N95 or better mask. That mask will saturate and fail. If you sneeze, it will blow covid around it. Masks are designed to block incoming air, not your exhaust that pushes it off your skin and allows covid to bypass the mask and infect people around you.
Masks do little to protect. Even the m95 was proven ineffective. They don’t stop all germs from exiting your body either though as you pointed out. They just do “some” work, which amounts to better than none. The newest strand isn’t nearly as deadly, but hey no one wants to get others sick.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 08-24-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Forced close-downs. "They" said earlier that the face-diapers don't work. Think about it----hard!! Did y'all comply before by staying in as much as possible, did you wash your hands and social distance and do everything told to you before-----yet still got the infection?? Tis strange it seemed to almost "go away" and now is re-emerging.
"You will own nothing and like it.'" Truth is now hate speech.

Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.

Joseph Stalin
Old 08-24-2023, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Masks do little to protect. Even the m95 was proven ineffective. They don’t stop all germs from exiting your body either though as you pointed out. They just do “some” work, which amounts to better than none. The newest strand isn’t nearly as deadly, but hey no one wants to get others sick.
There is a huge difference between "proven ineffective" and "don't stop all germs." I'll take 95% effective over nothing every day.

(I also don't believe N95 masks were proven ineffective)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-24-2023, 08:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
So a mask will not stop a contagious person from breathing out the disease, but will block you from breathing it in? Is that correct?
Old 08-24-2023, 08:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeonemiles@outlook.com View Post
"You will own nothing and like it.'" Truth is now hate speech.
Your quote made me think. Most of us get on the younger generations case for not growing up, settling down, being responsible. Here is something to think about; The goal has always been 2.6:1. 2years 6months of salary to purchase a home. This is taking the mean income and mean price of a home. In 1980 for me it was 2.4. Today it is 9:1. The ratio of income to automobile is equally unbalanced (comparing 1980 to today). This makes it very hard to be able to "own" your own home (or car). You will own nothing and be thankful. I'm not even addressing the debt coming out of college (in one generation my college went from 9k to 48k a year). Young adults today really do have a bum deal. If you want to really see how bad it is, consider what social media has done to relationships. It is very concerning.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There is a huge difference between "proven ineffective" and "don't stop all germs." I'll take 95% effective over nothing every day.

Cochrane Library

The pooled results of RCTs did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:44 AM
Sage

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erider View Post
Cochrane Library

The pooled results of RCTs did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection.
The report also contained these paragraphs:
The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions.
The observed lack of effect of mask wearing in interrupting the spread of influenza‐like illness (ILI) or influenza/COVID‐19 in our review has many potential reasons, including: poor study design; insufficiently powered studies arising from low viral circulation in some studies; lower adherence with mask wearing, especially amongst children; quality of the masks used; self‐contamination of the mask by hands; lack of protection from eye exposure from respiratory droplets (allowing a route of entry of respiratory viruses into the nose via the lacrimal duct); saturation of masks with saliva from extended use (promoting virus survival in proteinaceous material); and possible risk compensation behaviour leading to an exaggerated sense of security (Ammann 2022; Brosseau 2020; Byambasuren 2021; Canini 2010; Cassell 2006; Coroiu 2021; MacIntyre 2015; Rengasamy 2010; Zamora 2006).
So it isn't clear whether the N95 masks are ineffective or whether they were used in an ineffective manner.

If you want to argue that the overall (real-life) effectiveness is a combination of the effectiveness of the tool and the skill of those who wield the tool, I can accept that. In that case it appears that masking is not effective as normally practiced in real-world settings.

But that doesn't mean the masks are ineffective. There is no way I would be comfortable having surgery done where the doctors weren't wearing masks because a study showed they were ineffective. That isn't what the study looked at and it isn't what it showed.

The study also did not show the mask itself was ineffective. I don't believe there is no laboratory testing on these masks showing that they in fact did block 95% of particles.

The mask itself is effective. Every individual wearing the mask may or may not wear it properly and may or may not always wear it. Multiply the possibly mistakes made one individual by the hundreds or thousands of people in the community and the overall effectiveness quickly drops. This, I think, is what the study shows.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-24-2023, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Before I mask up again I will need a personal meeting with Fauci to explain the scientific facts to me in detail.

Been there done that. No more Doc.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:00 AM
Gold member
Default Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Before I mask up again I will need a personal meeting with Fauci to explain the scientific facts to me in detail.

Been there done that. No more Doc.
Masks were a “something” type response with minimal actual effect. They did fulfill psychological needs though.

Hey, when it’s “All hands on deck”, masks are a small part and we will take what we can get approach. I think the move was pretty darn political. But bringing a bucket of water to a house fire is a “something” response, however we all would much rather a spigot supply and hose.

Fauci was a face to a politician’s farcical response.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:

Where did that 95% effective statistic come from?

-Tom Petty
Old 08-24-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Of course masks are effective...but maybe not quite efficient
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	mask.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	99858  

Last edited by bcsnave; 08-24-2023 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Google is your friend

Manufacturer
FDA and here
CDC
Wikipedia

Though I probably should have used the word "efficiency" rather than "effective."

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-24-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Oh Gezus Jminter...now you went and did it now...asking to back up a statement with data..why would you ask anyone to back up what they said.

Perhaps I might say I just deposited $2,000,000 into your bank account. You should just belive me because I said so....GO HAVE FUN....Spend like a maniac
Closed Thread

Tags
hospitals, staff, covid, sick, testing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.