Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Google is your friend

Manufacturer
FDA and here
CDC
Wikipedia

Though I probably should have used the word "efficiency" rather than "effective."
Unfortunately, viruses are much smaller than what those masks were designed to filter out...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-24-2023, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Unfortunately, viruses are much smaller than what those masks were designed to filter out...
I'm sure you are right and will continue to toss out arguments until I get bored so I'll just stop here.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-24-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That'a boy Jmintzer

Now come on did you find that on our friend "Google"...lol?

As anyone can look up the Covid particle size is a small as 0.1micron. Where as the N95 respirators that are worn correctly will filter out at least 95 percent of particles 0.3 micron in size.

But 95% is good right??? well let's look at 99%
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	6s.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	99859  
Old 08-24-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Once again, "the sky is falling!"
How is it sky is falling, only facts and verifiable. You can deny all you want but facts, figures and doctor reports is not lying. Oh but wait we forgot somehow, someone, somewhere has enough power, in all of the countries in the world, with a huge majority of doctors & nurses scared for their life and control to have come up with the biggest conspiracy ever known to mankind. If they are able to do that we need them to run a lot more things because they are obviously smarter and better able to get things done than all the rest of the people in the world.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The report also contained these paragraphs:
The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions.
The observed lack of effect of mask wearing in interrupting the spread of influenza‐like illness (ILI) or influenza/COVID‐19 in our review has many potential reasons, including: poor study design; insufficiently powered studies arising from low viral circulation in some studies; lower adherence with mask wearing, especially amongst children; quality of the masks used; self‐contamination of the mask by hands; lack of protection from eye exposure from respiratory droplets (allowing a route of entry of respiratory viruses into the nose via the lacrimal duct); saturation of masks with saliva from extended use (promoting virus survival in proteinaceous material); and possible risk compensation behaviour leading to an exaggerated sense of security (Ammann 2022; Brosseau 2020; Byambasuren 2021; Canini 2010; Cassell 2006; Coroiu 2021; MacIntyre 2015; Rengasamy 2010; Zamora 2006).
So it isn't clear whether the N95 masks are ineffective or whether they were used in an ineffective manner.

If you want to argue that the overall (real-life) effectiveness is a combination of the effectiveness of the tool and the skill of those who wield the tool, I can accept that. In that case it appears that masking is not effective as normally practiced in real-world settings.

But that doesn't mean the masks are ineffective. There is no way I would be comfortable having surgery done where the doctors weren't wearing masks because a study showed they were ineffective. That isn't what the study looked at and it isn't what it showed.

The study also did not show the mask itself was ineffective. I don't believe there is no laboratory testing on these masks showing that they in fact did block 95% of particles.

The mask itself is effective. Every individual wearing the mask may or may not wear it properly and may or may not always wear it. Multiply the possibly mistakes made one individual by the hundreds or thousands of people in the community and the overall effectiveness quickly drops. This, I think, is what the study shows.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
So a mask will not stop a contagious person from breathing out the disease, but will block you from breathing it in? Is that correct?
Partially correct. "Mask" is too generic to say what one can or cannot do.

Mask made from a t-shirt will do nothing. 100% useless against covid. The gaps (holes) between fibers are many millions of times larger then covid virus.

Those flat blue masks with elastic ear loops will do nothing. They are splatter shields.

An n95 mask is designed to block the wearer from breathing in particles of a certain size, and larger. It does that by a combination of the filter material, and that it seals completely to your face. Any facial hair, wrinkles, lotions, skin bumps, etc, compromises that seal and allows unfiltered air to bypass the mask for you to inhale. Bypass means you would get contaminated if near to the stuff you hoped to block.

When you breathe out, the mask is pushed outward and will allow air to slip out between the skin and mask. There are some n95 masks with a one way exhale port that allows all air to exit unfiltered. An n95 mask is not intended to protect others. Doctors mainly wear them to protect themselves. The exception is that very large water droplets could be caught. However, that it a statistically small insignificant amount, but a popular urban myth that it has any benefit.

Someone who is sick, and then coughs out a very large volume of air, all at once, contaminates the area around themselves. And fills the mask with covid to re-breathe.

People that wear n95 masks (for work) go through training which includes fit testing. That is where the trainer shows how to properly wear and seal the mask. They use a special nasty smelling smoke to see if any leaks by the seal. Then they go over how to properly remove the mask (that could be saturated with lots of bad stuff) without transferring anything it captured to your head and hands. Do you see anybody doing that?

Let's say you are trained how to properly wear the mask. Do you reuse it? I hope not. Do you change it out after a certain number of minutes? If not, things will seep through. Do you remove it somewhere you do not want contaminants scatter, or do you do remove it in the car or at home? There is research showing a contaminated mask will release that gunk when you breathe out - contaminating the area you are in. After every time you touch the mask, do you always disinfect your hands?

To test it for your self, find someone smoking. Put on your n95 mask. It should block the smoke smell. If yours does not, it's being worn wrong. Covid is a lot smaller than smoke.

You do know virus can spread through the air, via contact with your eyes. Are we wearing sealed goggles?
Old 08-24-2023, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
How is it sky is falling, only facts and verifiable. You can deny all you want but facts, figures and doctor reports is not lying. Oh but wait we forgot somehow, someone, somewhere has enough power, in all of the countries in the world, with a huge majority of doctors & nurses scared for their life and control to have come up with the biggest conspiracy ever known to mankind. If they are able to do that we need them to run a lot more things because they are obviously smarter and better able to get things done than all the rest of the people in the world.
WHy? Why you ask?
Because every time someone mentions the dreaded COVID the thread turns into hysteria.
This time, I have no intention on listening to a bunch of Chicken Littles, that start getting hysterical about wearing masks (that IMO do little good the way they were being used), running amok to find a place to get booster upon booter, or carrying hand sanitizer everywhere they go. The worse part is when anyone that shrugs off the hysteria is then labeled a horrible "denier" and ostracized by the group of Chicken Littles. I'm no expert or medical professional but just about everyone in my family has had COVID and most of them had it before the vaccination was available. AND, most of them said that the symptoms was no worse than a cold, and no one said it was as bad as having the Flu. Just saying. I know some in my family that tested positive for COVID with NO symptoms and only got tested because someone they knew had it. So, I am sure there are many folks that go about their day, whether shopping or socializing that have no idea they have COVID. Do I worry about it? Nope. I use the handy sanitizer wipes on my shopping cart that stores have at the entrances, more for cleaning the germs off it from colds and pet germs than anything else. Plus, using them makes it easier to open those darn produce bags.
Will anyone ever believe the gov. when they warn us of pandemics again, after the fiasco we endured for COVID? C'mon, man!!
Old 08-24-2023, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh brother, another venue for the anti- maskers, and the "Covid is nothing to worry about" crowd. Enough already. There is an upside, though, - thinning of the herd...
Old 08-24-2023, 03:08 PM
Location: NY, North Carolina, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Village of Bradford

It's time to treat COVID as another "Flu Variation". We will never be without it. If individuals feel the need to mask up, let them. Read the OSHA reports on the Cloth and Cheap Surgical Masks. They provide "No, None, Zero, Nunca, Nada" protection. The country will not tolerate another lockdown. We live in the Free State of Florida!
Old 08-24-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Oh brother, another venue for the anti- maskers, and the "Covid is nothing to worry about" crowd. Enough already. There is an upside, though, - thinning of the herd...
No Covid IS a thing, and yes it is to be taken serious.

Vaccines are nothing more than a treatment plan. Does not stop or prevent individuals from contracting Covid. The hypocracy is, in order to get FDA "Emergency Use" authorization there could be no other treat modaities.

But the mask....Vaccine...2nd vaccine....booster.... booster...booster..and people still contract Covid...C'mon Man

PLUS heart issues due to the Mrna vaccine are real - COVID Infection, Vaccination Linked to Heart Condition
Old 08-24-2023, 03:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

I can’t believe we are doing this again
Old 08-24-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle06 View Post
It's time to treat COVID as another "Flu Variation". We will never be without it. If individuals feel the need to mask up, let them. Read the OSHA reports on the Cloth and Cheap Surgical Masks. They provide "No, None, Zero, Nunca, Nada" protection. The country will not tolerate another lockdown. We live in the Free State of Florida!
Eagle06

What??? You are telling me it doesn't work???
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	mask.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	99875  
Old 08-24-2023, 06:10 PM

What are CoachK hospitals?

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 08-24-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle06 View Post
New COVID outbreak is mild, and masks don't help
Old 08-24-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
WHy? Why you ask?
Because every time someone mentions the dreaded COVID the thread turns into hysteria.
This time, I have no intention on listening to a bunch of Chicken Littles, that start getting hysterical about wearing masks (that IMO do little good the way they were being used), running amok to find a place to get booster upon booter, or carrying hand sanitizer everywhere they go. The worse part is when anyone that shrugs off the hysteria is then labeled a horrible "denier" and ostracized by the group of Chicken Littles. I'm no expert or medical professional but just about everyone in my family has had COVID and most of them had it before the vaccination was available. AND, most of them said that the symptoms was no worse than a cold, and no one said it was as bad as having the Flu. Just saying. I know some in my family that tested positive for COVID with NO symptoms and only got tested because someone they knew had it. So, I am sure there are many folks that go about their day, whether shopping or socializing that have no idea they have COVID. Do I worry about it? Nope. I use the handy sanitizer wipes on my shopping cart that stores have at the entrances, more for cleaning the germs off it from colds and pet germs than anything else. Plus, using them makes it easier to open those darn produce bags.
Will anyone ever believe the gov. when they warn us of pandemics again, after the fiasco we endured for COVID? C'mon, man!!
Just more anecdotes and opinions, which everyone has and has a right to say just like everyone has an a------. It still does not make it fact. It is a opinion which you have every right to believe. Just as there are those "labeled horrible deniers and ostracized by the groups of Chicken Littles" there are those that do not respect, ostracize and physically confront those that have a differing opinion. It is definitely not a one way street. Facts, proof of those facts and science have driven human advancement and will continue to be what makes human kind move forward.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospitals, staff, covid, sick, testing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.