Seniors First?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2021, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondvu2 View Post
A 49 year old nurse would probably want the 66 year old retire to go first so she has one less patient
That made no sense to me?
Old 02-05-2021, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I would add to that the fact that vaccinating the elderly will keep more hospital ICU beds free.
Exactly, that's what I had said.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This is one of those conundrum situations. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Anything and everything has a downside. The good must be weighed against the bad in any decision either personal or group or national.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Everyone should be able to get the vaccination IF they want it, but when there is still a shortage they have to choose the most vulnerable first. The most vulnerable are the seniors, period. The young simply shrug the virus off easier than the Flu, IF they are not medically handicapped. If the first responders are young, then they could wait a bit to get their shots until there was sufficient quantity to go around. They might get sick and miss a couple days of work. Same with many medical professionals, UNLESS there is a threat that they might pass on the virus to patients. To say that someone working in a restaurant or a discount store NEEDS the vaccination in order to work is being disingenuous. To say that teachers need to be inoculated before teaching is also exaggerating. How many of these folks get the Flu shot every year? A few months ago, everyone was screaming about the hospitals being overwhelmed by COVID patients and people dying. Now, everyone wants the shot so that they can go back to work or do whatever it is they do. Are they going to die without it? Doubtful. Retired does not mean someone else is more valuable. It means that retirees have worked long enough to EARN the right to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Retired or aged or senior does not mean they deserve to die, just because they are in a younger generation's way. Take care of those that have paved the way for YOU and then take care of those less vulnerable. I am not saying that folks that are prone to illness and have a low immunity should have to wait, but the stats prove that the aged are dying from the virus at a much higher rate when exposed.
When I said that anyone that is worrying about others not wearing a mask should stay home, I was told that I don't care about my fellow man if I did not care about folks wearing a mask. Now, you folks are saying if you are old you should stay home and let the young go to work and school with an inoculation. Funny how that works, huh?

I spent hours and days/weeks trying to get my spouse a vaccination for the virus and finally succeeded. There were hundreds of thousands competing for the spot. I finally got her an appointment this week and spontaneously succeeded in getting me one also. I had originally though of waiting until the VA offered them, as I have not been worried about contracting the virus. I seem to have a very good immunity system, so I have not been concerned for myself. I had to make an hour and half trip one way to get her the shot so I went ahead and got mine also. Now the VA is offering their Vets COVID vaccinations. Go figure.
The point is that the only way to get this country back to normal is to reduce the hospitalizations and deaths. You don't lower that rate by giving the shots FIRST to everyone but the seniors. The seniors are filling up the hospital beds and dying. The young can weather a couple of days of discomfort. Very few have had serious effects from the virus.

Someone said something about giving the vaccination to those that are in close proximity of customers or patients with the reasoning that they would not be passing it on to others if they have been vaccinated. That interesting because I read that they do not know if an immune person can pass it on or not. That is the reason they want everyone to continue to wear masks, so they don't pass it on to others. If wearing a mask protects others, and you do not have the virus then why else would you continue to wear a stupid mask? I am not wearing the mask to protect myself if I am immune. If I am protecting you because you do not have the vaccination yet, then I shouldn't need much of a mask because something against your face is going to stop droplets from being expelled, regardless of how thin the material is, right? Just a thought.
If I am getting this serum put into me to make me immune, then I am not going to wear a mask to protect others. Why? Because you should worry about wearing a mask to protect yourself.
Correct up to the point about NOT wearing a mask. Scientists say wear one until CV is 98% irradicated. That is enough for me.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicar View Post
The vaccines don't give immunity. The percentages refer to efficacy. The vaccines are effective at protecting you from getting very sick or dying. But you can still get infected after vaccination and at least with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines you can pass the virus on to others. So please keep your masks on!
Several things about CV are still unknown - including how long the efficacy lasts - estimates are from 3 months to several years?????
Old 02-05-2021, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
The vaccines don't give immunity. The percentages refer to efficacy. The vaccines are effective at protecting you from getting very sick or dying. But you can still get infected after vaccination and at least with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines you can pass the virus on to others. So please keep your masks on!
Care to name a REPUTABLE source for that nonsense?
Old 02-07-2021, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Hmm, that's not what I read about the subject by the Mayo Clinic.
The article I read said that the vaccine builds antibodies targeted at the virus to give one immunity from it. AND if you are one of the very, very few that still becomes infected by the virus, you will basically shrug it off with mild symptoms. It also said that there was a most likely chance, not yet totally proven that you can not pass on the virus to anyone else. Of course, I am paraphrasing based on what I took from the article. Since no one knows for sure, they advise practicing caution. They also said that the N95 mask would not be necessary and to leave those for medical professionals that need them. A simple mask would work well enough for those vaccinated until proof is established that they are truly immune and unable to transmit the virus to others.

Of course, my disclaimer is that I am in no way a medical professional. However, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express if that gives me any more credibility.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:27 AM

My daughter is in healthcare and thankfully has received the vaccine.

I agree with certain priorities. However, I'm 74, a cancer survivor and facing surgery in March and the "Seniors First" is just a silly statement, cause it ain't true.

I've registered all over and my health care providers don't seem to care so neither do I.

I'd just be ticked if my necessary surgery gets complicated over this. Otherwise, I'll wait til the toilet paper mentality is over.

Last edited by bobdeb; 02-13-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
The day following my second shot, I had a kick ass reaction to the Moderna vaccine. From everything I have read about these flu types of reactions, including a high fever, this is the body's immune system kicking into high gear. If these vaccines do not offer a high rate of immunity from Covid, then we have all been deceived. BUT......my body told me differently.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That made no sense to me?
It makes all the sense in the world to me. Having that 66 year old not needing hospital care will free up hospital beds and prevent our health care system from being near or at capacity. Our health care system in the US need not be stretched so thin that people of all ages be turned away from medical care for all types of medical issues.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:33 PM
Sage

~~~
Old 02-13-2021, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Everyone should be able to get the vaccination IF they want it, but when there is still a shortage they have to choose the most vulnerable first. The most vulnerable are the seniors, period. The young simply shrug the virus off easier than the Flu, IF they are not medically handicapped. If the first responders are young, then they could wait a bit to get their shots until there was sufficient quantity to go around. They might get sick and miss a couple days of work. Same with many medical professionals, UNLESS there is a threat that they might pass on the virus to patients. To say that someone working in a restaurant or a discount store NEEDS the vaccination in order to work is being disingenuous. To say that teachers need to be inoculated before teaching is also exaggerating. How many of these folks get the Flu shot every year? A few months ago, everyone was screaming about the hospitals being overwhelmed by COVID patients and people dying. Now, everyone wants the shot so that they can go back to work or do whatever it is they do. Are they going to die without it? Doubtful. Retired does not mean someone else is more valuable. It means that retirees have worked long enough to EARN the right to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Retired or aged or senior does not mean they deserve to die, just because they are in a younger generation's way. Take care of those that have paved the way for YOU and then take care of those less vulnerable. I am not saying that folks that are prone to illness and have a low immunity should have to wait, but the stats prove that the aged are dying from the virus at a much higher rate when exposed.
When I said that anyone that is worrying about others not wearing a mask should stay home, I was told that I don't care about my fellow man if I did not care about folks wearing a mask. Now, you folks are saying if you are old you should stay home and let the young go to work and school with an inoculation. Funny how that works, huh?

I spent hours and days/weeks trying to get my spouse a vaccination for the virus and finally succeeded. There were hundreds of thousands competing for the spot. I finally got her an appointment this week and spontaneously succeeded in getting me one also. I had originally though of waiting until the VA offered them, as I have not been worried about contracting the virus. I seem to have a very good immunity system, so I have not been concerned for myself. I had to make an hour and half trip one way to get her the shot so I went ahead and got mine also. Now the VA is offering their Vets COVID vaccinations. Go figure.
The point is that the only way to get this country back to normal is to reduce the hospitalizations and deaths. You don't lower that rate by giving the shots FIRST to everyone but the seniors. The seniors are filling up the hospital beds and dying. The young can weather a couple of days of discomfort. Very few have had serious effects from the virus.

Someone said something about giving the vaccination to those that are in close proximity of customers or patients with the reasoning that they would not be passing it on to others if they have been vaccinated. That interesting because I read that they do not know if an immune person can pass it on or not. That is the reason they want everyone to continue to wear masks, so they don't pass it on to others. If wearing a mask protects others, and you do not have the virus then why else would you continue to wear a stupid mask? I am not wearing the mask to protect myself if I am immune. If I am protecting you because you do not have the vaccination yet, then I shouldn't need much of a mask because something against your face is going to stop droplets from being expelled, regardless of how thin the material is, right? Just a thought.
If I am getting this serum put into me to make me immune, then I am not going to wear a mask to protect others. Why? Because you should worry about wearing a mask to protect yourself.
Wearing a mask does very little to protect the wearer of the mask. This has been said EVERYWHERE ad nauseum. Wearing a mask is much more effective for source control than protection unless you are double masking or wearing an N95 mask.

I've had both my Moderna shots and I plan to continue to wear a mask and social distance to protect others. We are being told that although having both shots and waiting the two weeks after the second shot, we vaccinated people may still pass on the virus to others.

My mask comes off when everyone who wants the vaccine has access to the vaccine. I will not, under any circumstances wear a mask to protect anti-vaxxers. It will be up to those anti-vaxxers to protect themselves in any way they see fit. Anyone who can not take the vaccine for medical reasons will also have to protect themselves which ever way they can. If that means wearing an N95 mask in public, so be it but my mask will be OFF for good.

Until then, I will continue to mask and social distance to keep our community safe.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I’ve said from the beginning that retired seniors should be last and WD is on the right track.
Why is that? Do you feel it's a waste of vaccine? The reasoning behind that is that the over 75 set will get sick first and take all the hospital beds.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:21 PM

It seems as though it's more like "Seniors Eventually".

There are obvious priorities and most of us understand them. My daughter is in healthcare so please don't get unhinged...

We all know that the senior population is more adversely affected by the virus. My goodness are we culling the herd with these delays?

I'm 74 and a cancer survivor. I'm scheduled for necessary surgery in March. I'm giving up on Sumter County and everywhere I've registered so far.

Strangely enough my healthcare providers don't really care if I'm vaccinated or not. They do care if I'm infected though.

Wonder if this will post??
Old 02-14-2021, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
It seems as though it's more like "Seniors Eventually".

There are obvious priorities and most of us understand them. My daughter is in healthcare so please don't get unhinged...

We all know that the senior population is more adversely affected by the virus. My goodness are we culling the herd with these delays?

I'm 74 and a cancer survivor. I'm scheduled for necessary surgery in March. I'm giving up on Sumter County and everywhere I've registered so far.

Strangely enough my healthcare providers don't really care if I'm vaccinated or not. They do care if I'm infected though.

Wonder if this will post??
I registered with Sumter, Lake, Orange, the State of Florida and made a couple attempts with Publix. Two weeks ago we got an appointment with Publix and an appointment with Orange County on the same day. Last week my wife and I got appointment notification with Sumter. It takes patience and perseverance but they are out there.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
people, workers, winn, dixie, public

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.