Guinness is good for you

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Guinness is good for you

The Irish believe that Guinness beer is the cure of all ailments, i have always believed that, spending much time on "The Old Sod", and now more than ever i have a craving for Guinness, where all food and drink taste awful, because i have started a regiment of Chemotherapy, the do's and don'ts say no alcohol, but it sure is better the nausea pills.
Is there an Irishman out there that can say "Brilliant"
Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM

During my wife's chemo, the only food she could keep down was beer and my homemade potato soup. Good luck to you, sir.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post
During my wife's chemo, the only food she could keep down was beer and my homemade potato soup. Good luck to you, sir.
AH HA, i have potato soup in the freezer, thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM

May the luck of the Irish be with you. Sir
Old 10-16-2013, 03:42 PM

We are not Irish so being English will have to do, we love Guinness! They say it is indeed better in Ireland but I do not think it is too bad here in England. Apparently it is full of Iron and has less calories, etc. then other beers!

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvlyJubly View Post
We are not Irish so being English will have to do, we love Guinness! They say it is indeed better in Ireland but I do not think it is too bad here in England. Apparently it is full of Iron and has less calories, etc. then other beers!

Cheers!
I guess I am a heretic. I used to go the Guinness sponsored Oyster Festival in Galway and drink Smithwicks
Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Thumbs up Guinness on Draght

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTime View Post
The Irish believe that Guinness beer is the cure of all ailments, i have always believed that, spending much time on "The Old Sod", and now more than ever i have a craving for Guinness, where all food and drink taste awful, because i have started a regiment of Chemotherapy, the do's and don'ts say no alcohol, but it sure is better the nausea pills.
When I was in Ireland in 2004, I was told that Guiness was served in Hospitals because of the Iron and other nutrients.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

A few years ago I dated a woman born in England. She told me "Guiness is food". All I know is it gives me vivid dreams so it must be full of B vitamins.

I visited the brewery in Ireland and drank it there, served on tap from a bar located on the top floor. It was wonderful! It tasted far better than it tastes from the cans in The States. They display the original recipe there, too.

By the way, in most of the Irish restaurants in which I ate you had a choice among three vegetables, baked potatoes, fried potatoes and boiled potatoes.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

When we were in Dublin, Guinness did taste great. I ask what was the difference---Guinness "does not travel well", so I was told.

Last edited by justjim; 10-16-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Spellimg
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
When we were in Dublin, Guinness did taste great. I ask what was the difference---Guinness "does not travel well", so I was told.
Still tastes pretty good though!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTime View Post
Well, not Irish, but I had an Irish Stepdad who also loved Guinness and he enjoyed longevity until osteomyelitis set in.

Wish I could turn back the clock and give him some beer now.

Have you checked with your oncologist?
Maybe they will surprise you and say it's o.k. ????

If you really think back, all of our grandparents and great grandparents drank the regional alcohol of their native lands........way before big pharm medications were around.

My mom always said that beer had B Vitamins......and that her doctor, when she was expecting me (in 1944/1945) and my brother 18 months later, told her.....actually instructed her to DRINK BEER.

He also told her to drink beer while she was breast feeding her babies.

P.S. Now when I was having my own family, alcohol was a NO NO. I didn't take so much as an aspirin.

HOWEVER, NOWADAYS MANY YOUNG MOMS ARE DRINKING WINE so I guess it's allowed during pregnancy and while breastfeeding..........

Check with your oncologist. I have also heard that BEER IS FOOD....due to the yeast and the B Vitamins.

Wine would be "fruit of the vine" and also food????

Who knows which alcoholic type beverages would NOT be considered food ? Vodka was the choice of Russians, etc.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Sage

I remember my GYN advising me what to drink during breast feeding:
"Cows don't drink milk do they? Drink a little beer!"
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I remember my GYN advising me what to drink during breast feeding:
"Cows don't drink milk do they? Drink a little beer!"
Well, my mom drank beer all during breast feeding too....and I guess I turned out with half a brain...or maybe two halves?

But, during my own childbearing years and thereafter, the word was out there about "fetal alcohol syndrome" which is why I'm surprised that young moms now drink wine. I don't really follow it, but it's all working and trends do change.......that's for sure. Whatever was old is new again.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Fetal alcohol syndrome is most common in poor minority children whose mother is/was a drunk. As with most things, since people can't figure out how much they should drink, can't control themselves, they're told not to drink anything.

"Sterile" beer, beer from the big box brewers, is processed junk compared to the "live" beers of yesteryear/craft brewers when beer WAS food. Beer and wine were also drunk regularly because back then...all water was "Mexican" water...very likely to make a person sick.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb9006 View Post
Fetal alcohol syndrome is most common in poor minority children whose mother is/was a drunk. As with most things, since people can't figure out how much they should drink, can't control themselves, they're told not to drink anything.

"Sterile" beer, beer from the big box brewers, is processed junk compared to the "live" beers of yesteryear/craft brewers when beer WAS food. Beer and wine were also drunk regularly because back then...all water was "Mexican" water...very likely to make a person sick.

New Jersey breweries

Interesting article about some of the major breweries in New Jersey.....which we do remember.

We also remember several more , which are not mentioned here.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.