Shingles

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Sage
Default Shingles

Hubby just came down with shingles rash on Friday. He was feeling very tired and felt like sciatia pain in his hips, back and legs weeks before the rash appeared. The urgent care doctor said it is all related to the shingles. They gave him some antiviral medication and some anti-imfamatory meds to take 5 times a day. So far so good. We didn't get the shingles shots but so wish we had now.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default I feel your pain

I had a case of the shingles back in 2003. Mine ran up my right arm and around my back. The pain last for 5-6 weeks and the scarring for 6 months.

I am told that even if you get a shingles vaacine it doesn't guarantee that you won't come down with shingles.

Sorry to hear that you folks have to experience ths malady.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Sage

I, too, had shingles. Mine was on the face and scalp and even went into my right eye. Heavy duty narcotics did little to ease that pain. I never want that again.

When the nerve endings start to regrow, it feels like an army of ants is crawling around under the skin. That feeling lasted for at least a couple of months.

Sorry for your hubby. Definitely, get your shingles shot.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Default before getting the vaccine

I had shingles three times. The worst: on the roof of my mouth!!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i hope the urgent care doctor prescribed steroid medication for your hubby. when mine had them it gave him the most relief. the first three days were the WORST! so sorry you and hubby have to endure.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

So sorry --I understand it is very painful.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Veteran member
Default Shingles Vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

I had a case of the shingles back in 2003. Mine ran up my right arm and around my back. The pain last for 5-6 weeks and the scarring for 6 months.

I am told that even if you get a shingles vaacine it doesn't guarantee that you won't come down with shingles.

Sorry to hear that you folks have to experience ths malady.
We were told by our pharmacist ( a personal friend) when we got the vaccine that it doesn't keep you from getting the disease, but it does significantly reduce the severity of the symptoms and aids in recovery. My doctor advises all of his patients over 60 to get it, even though he doesn't give the shots himself (have to go to a pharmacy).
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I, too, had shingles. Mine was on the face and scalp and even went into my right eye. Heavy duty narcotics did little to ease that pain. I never want that again.

When the nerve endings start to regrow, it feels like an army of ants is crawling around under the skin. That feeling lasted for at least a couple of months.

Sorry for your hubby. Definitely, get your shingles shot.
I, too, had shingles on face and scalp and was close to going in my right eye - horrible, horrible, horrible.....I thought I was going out of my mind (what's left anyway) It's that "post-herpetic neuralgia" that is so bad...and I'm told that the "shingles vaccine" doesn't keep you from getting another case of shingles, just lessens the severity of the "phn". So sorry that you're husband is experiencing this.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Sage

Yes...get the shot (he can too when he's over this) but as another poster said it doesn't guarantee that you'll not get shingles. I have one friend who got the shot though, still got shingles but said she didn't hardly know she had them!! Any medical people out there who can explain any of this????
Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You can probably get the shoot by calling your local drugstore that has a health clinic. In my state the clinic writes the prescription so no need for a doctors visit. This could cost $250.00 so ask about the costs and check your insurance.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Sage

Veterans can get the shingles vaccine FREE at the VA Clinic. You do have to ask your doctor as it has to be special ordered. You can also get the pneumonia shot FREE at the VA Clinic.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Yes...get the shot (he can too when he's over this) but as another poster said it doesn't guarantee that you'll not get shingles. I have one friend who got the shot though, still got shingles but said she didn't hardly know she had them!! Any medical people out there who can explain any of this????
I am a pharmacist and perhaps I can help. If someone has ever had chickenpox (varicella), the virus remains in your nerves in a dormant state. If something causes you to have a decrease in what is called your "Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV) specific immunity", then the virus reemerges as shingles. The Shingles vaccine Zostavax increases your VZV specific immunity. While it is still possible to get shingles after receiving the vaccine, you are far less likely to get it if you receive the vaccine (I think it was from 2 to 3 times less likely). Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
I am a pharmacist and perhaps I can help. If someone has ever had chickenpox (varicella), the virus remains in your nerves in a dormant state. If something causes you to have a decrease in what is called your "Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV) specific immunity", then the virus reemerges as shingles. The Shingles vaccine Zostavax increases your VZV specific immunity. While it is still possible to get shingles after receiving the vaccine, you are far less likely to get it if you receive the vaccine (I think it was from 2 to 3 times less likely). Hope this helps.
Do you know what could cause you to have a decrease in your Varicella Zoster Virus Immunity? It is my husband with the shingles. Should we worry that there may be an underlying problem that could have brought this on?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Sage

I had a fairly mild case of shingles a number of years back. Asked my doc what brought it on. He said it can be stress-related but it usually can't be pinpointed to anything specific.

Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Do you know what could cause you to have a decrease in your Varicella Zoster Virus Immunity? It is my husband with the shingles. Should we worry that there may be an underlying problem that could have brought this on?
The two biggest factors that cause a decrease in VZV specific immunity are 1) advancing age and 2) psychological stress such as depression. There may be other factors, but I don't recall them (I too suffer from advancing age). But I believe that those are the 2 main factors for the decrease in immunity.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.