Slow Ambulance Service based on 911 call

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Slow Ambulance Service based on 911 call

Following up on a recent post about slow ambulance service at Rohn Center, I will relate my experience of an accident earlier this year at a local Rec Center and the response we got. Very Similar to what just happened.

If this accident occured on the pickelball courts most likely the calls to 911 were via CELL phone. Based on My experience, here is what happens...especially on the west side of The Villages. A 911 call is made and being Rohan it most likely was connected to a Lake County Emergency Center. The first question 911 operator asks is what county are you in ..OK Sumter. The call is then transferred to Sumter county and they ask your location...You tell them Rohan Rec Center in The Villages...but they want an ADDRESS....you dont have it....its Rohan Rec Center. The 911 center then puts a call out to find an available ambulance team...it may or may not be one close to the Rohan Center.....AND the ambulance may or may not be staffed by EMS personnel familiar with the Villages for it could have been staffed by any EMS team (from 30 miles away) that was filling in The Villages area but they would not necessarily be familar with our landmarks. The other thing that happens is when the CELL call was transferred to Sumter County EMS, the location data was not provided since their was no PHYSICAL ADDRESS provided...only Rohan Rec Center. What happens then is that the EMS ambulance team tries to coordinate the call from cell towers......THIS IS REALLY HOW IT WORKS...In our case, when we needed an ambulance the ambulance went to the caroline rec center...there is no caroline rec center (it was the ____ rec center in Caroline. The ambulance then went to Canal street Rec Ctr ..not only the ambulance but fire truck and police but OPPS Wrong one....finally 18 minutes later they finally showed up where they should have come initially with no sirens, no sense of urgency....just as you described. Money this is what happened in this case.

I spoke with Captain Ed Cain (located on Morse Blvd just south of 466A) who is the coordinator for the villages with the Sumter ambulance service. I met with Cpt Cain and he was very gracious..took my information and got back to me relating the facts as they were reported internally.....and believe me many of them were not accurate. BUt he did emphasize the problems with 911 CELL calls the system is far from perfect especially when not calling from your residence or from a known address .

I would contact Captain Cain, relate this story, and he will do a personal check of the facts.

This Problem really needs to be addressed ...especially critical if something happens say on a golf course!
Old 09-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Following up on a recent post about slow ambulance service at Rohn Center, I will relate my experience of an accident earlier this year at a local Rec Center and the response we got. Very Similar to what just happened.

If this accident occured on the pickelball courts most likely the calls to 911 were via CELL phone. Based on My experience, here is what happens...especially on the west side of The Villages. A 911 call is made and being Rohan it most likely was connected to a Lake County Emergency Center. The first question 911 operator asks is what county are you in ..OK Sumter. The call is then transferred to Sumter county and they ask your location...You tell them Rohan Rec Center in The Villages...but they want an ADDRESS....you dont have it....its Rohan Rec Center. The 911 center then puts a call out to find an available ambulance team...it may or may not be one close to the Rohan Center.....AND the ambulance may or may not be staffed by EMS personnel familiar with the Villages for it could have been staffed by any EMS team (from 30 miles away) that was filling in The Villages area but they would not necessarily be familar with our landmarks. The other thing that happens is when the CELL call was transferred to Sumter County EMS, the location data was not provided since their was no PHYSICAL ADDRESS provided...only Rohan Rec Center. What happens then is that the EMS ambulance team tries to coordinate the call from cell towers......THIS IS REALLY HOW IT WORKS...In our case, when we needed an ambulance the ambulance went to the caroline rec center...there is no caroline rec center (it was the ____ rec center in Caroline. The ambulance then went to Canal street Rec Ctr ..not only the ambulance but fire truck and police but OPPS Wrong one....finally 18 minutes later they finally showed up where they should have come initially with no sirens, no sense of urgency....just as you described. Money this is what happened in this case.

I spoke with Captain Ed Cain (located on Morse Blvd just south of 466A) who is the coordinator for the villages with the Sumter ambulance service. I met with Cpt Cain and he was very gracious..took my information and got back to me relating the facts as they were reported internally.....and believe me many of them were not accurate. BUt he did emphasize the problems with 911 CELL calls the system is far from perfect especially when not calling from your residence or from a known address .

I would contact Captain Cain, relate this story, and he will do a personal check of the facts.

This Problem really needs to be addressed ...especially critical if something happens say on a golf course!
Chief not Capt.

Edmund A. Cain, Fire Chief
edmund.cain@districtgov.org

Jeff Day, Deputy Fire Chief
jeff.day@districtgov.org

Capt. Dan Hickey, Sr., EMT
Fire Marshal
dan.hickey@districtgov.org

Capt. Roberto Gonzalez, EMT-P
Captain – Training
Roberto.Gonzalez@districtgov.org

Capt. Misty Morningstar-Twiss, EMT-P
Captain - Administrative Operations
Misty.Morningstar@districtgov.org
Closed Thread

Tags
center, ambulance, rec, call, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.