slow ambulance service today

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2016, 04:41 PM
Default slow ambulance service today

cardiac arrest at rohan today during morning pickleball league. someone called 911 and it took 30 minutes for ambulance to arrive. Did not seem to be in any hurry. Gentleman still in ICU. if it had not been for people on court giving cpr probably a different sad story. This was my second experience with pickleball player going down on courts and slow ambulance service. Medical personel when asked to hurry said "we don't hurry for anyone." Dont get hurt in villages.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:01 PM
Sage
Default Bravo to fellow pickleballers!!!

My husband was there too and said if it weren't for those performing CPR this gentleman would not be alive. Bravo for the quick response of fellow pickleballers. My husband also said that the ambulance was slow as well. It would be interesting to hear why it took so long with the ambulance station probably not more than 3-4 miles away on Morse/Moyer Loop. So happy to hear that this man is recovering.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Platinum member

That is totally unacceptable. I would expect a better response even in my crowded, congested hometown. But here in The Villages, they should perform much better. I hope someone in his family lodges a complaint.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Aren't medical units at the fire stations? The station at Sarasota Driving Range can't be more than 2 miles. If they were busy, how about the station on Buena Vista below the water tower? Seems if you cut across Hillsborough and turn right on Morse your almost there. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes. Seems someone at Rohan should follow up with some kind of inquiry.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
My husband was there too and said if it weren't for those performing CPR this gentleman would not be alive. Bravo for the quick response of fellow pickleballers. My husband also said that the ambulance was slow as well. It would be interesting to hear why it took so long with the ambulance station probably not more than 3-4 miles away on Morse/Moyer Loop. So happy to hear that this man is recovering.
That is not an Ambulance Station. It is a Fire Station. No ambulance is stationed there. The Fire Dept. and the Ambulance are two different entities that work together. The Village Fire Dept. should have been dispatched as well as an ambulance. Rohan Rec. Center is in Sumter Co. which is covered by Rural Metro Ambulance. A private / for profit company I believe.

If the Fire Dept. took half an hour, I would ask the Fire Chief what the problem was. If it was Rural Metro that was slow I would ask my County Rep. or County Manager why. They are the ones that are responsible for them being here.

I hope there was no delay in calling 911. Sometimes people think someone else called. I would think there is an AED at Rohan Rec. and I also hope someone went for it. And last, in a bad situation 3 minutes can seem like 30.... I've been there. Hope all turns out well.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

A first responder said "We don't hurry for anybody"?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:33 PM

Unfortunately, I had the same experience about 6 months ago. A neighbor fell on his hip, turnout to be fractured. Took the EMS nearly 30 minutes to respond. I have to mention, they did a great job when they arrived but 30 minutes?????
Old 09-19-2016, 07:39 PM
nkrifats

Need to consider where was the ambulance coming from. They are not always that close to where you are. Sumter is a big county and also the fact of navigating through the villages and the traffic circles. That all slows them down.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 PM

I'm in Marion. They were close by. No excuse.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
That is totally unacceptable. I would expect a better response even in my crowded, congested hometown. But here in The Villages, they should perform much better. I hope someone in his family lodges a complaint.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM

If someone could prove who said " We do not hurry for anyone " that person should be reported to the proper people. This is not the right attitude to be working at TV.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 PM
Platinum member

I am not sure if the fire station at Morse and Moyer Loop has an EMS vehicle and team (I know they have fire engines which always seem to be sent with EMS), but, I do know the fire station on Buena Vista, across from the Eisenhower Rec Center does and that is no more than 10 minutes away.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by debow View Post
I'm in Marion. They were close by. No excuse.
When our village was brand new we had an emergency during a gathering at our postal station and it took the responders quite a long time to get to the women who fainted. It turns out that new folks calling for them and not knowing exactly WHERE they were, being new, were guiding them incorrectly and our street wasn't in the system yet.

But to hear anyone who works as a first responder say anything so controversial and contrary and uncaring is beyond belief.
I am hoping it was misunderstood.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-20-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
I am not sure if the fire station at Morse and Moyer Loop has an EMS vehicle and team (I know they have fire engines which always seem to be sent with EMS), but, I do know the fire station on Buena Vista, across from the Eisenhower Rec Center does and that is no more than 10 minutes away.
10 minutes IS NOT an acceptable response time for a paid/professional fire dept.

I don't know about private/for profit ambulance services.

Village Community Development Districts
Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Post 14 answers your question also.
Closed Thread

Tags
hurry, ambulance, pickleball, slow, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.