Smoking Cessation

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Red face Smoking Cessation

I am looking for someone that can recommend either a hypnotherapist or an acupuncturist in the area to help me quit smoking. Tried cold turkey, patch, and gum - ended up quitting for a few years then stupidly picked it up again. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Sage

A former 3 pack a day smoker who did the same stupid thing - thought it was behind me, smoked a cigarette and was back to 3 packs before I knew it. Last success was a combo of the patch and anti-depressant and lots of coffee stir sticks to pretend smoke with. When I went to the doctor for a check up he asked how I felt and I told him I feel like I lost my best friend. He said that is why I prescribed the anti-depressant. Think it was wellbutrin. That was 10+ years ago, but am thankful everyday I don't pick up a cigarette. Good luck it's one of the hardest things you will ever do.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

As a pharmacist, I have seen lots of people have success with a drug called Chantix. You might consider asking your doctor if it is right for you.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I quit smoking in 1973. I did it cold turkey. I told myself that I was not quitting but only stopping. I did it one day at a time then one week then one month etc. After six months my best friend committed sucicide and my first thought was that I couldn't get through it without a cigarette but then immediately told myself it wouldn't change a thing. I took my cigarette money and banked it building up savings and then buying things we needed. The first item purchased was our first LP gas grille...Now the secret fomula

My wife heard a doctor on television say that dry prunes contained an ingredient that help lessen the nicotine cravings. She told me and I agreed to try it but asked that she buy them with the pits still in them

I ate four a day and sucked on the pits. Only four a day for obvious reasons. I did this in the very beginning when the cravings were at their worse. It did help me lose the cravings and it did help me contain my weight.

The End
Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

I tried everything under the sun and finally found that going "cold turkey" was what would work for me. Everytime I thought of a cigarette I reminded myself that I didn't smoke and went about doing something else. It was tough at times but finally I went longer times without a thought of a cigarette until no thoughts at all. That was 20 yrs ago and I am thankful everyday that I did it.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

My husband tried Chantax but it didn't work. He was very moody,cranky and down right mean. Our family and friends asked what he was taking and said he should get off of the pills. He went to the doctors and the doctor took him off the pills saying that some people have a bad reaction to them. I couldn't stand to be in the same room with him. Someone told him to try a hypnotist that it worked for her husband. He is trying to locate one. He tried the gum,patches, now trying the E cigarettes to help cut down.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Platinum member

another pharmacist weighing in....many of our patients have had success with Chantix. Yes, there are some who have the side effects mentioned which is why our doctors can't write refills and the patient calls and speaks to a pharmacist every month and we question them to see if they are having side effects. (I work at a VA so it's not quite the same as the private sector.) But I have heard fantastic results and wouldn't rule out trying it remembering if you have any personality changes to stop and call your doctor.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroes2002 View Post
I am looking for someone that can recommend either a hypnotherapist or an acupuncturist in the area to help me quit smoking. Tried cold turkey, patch, and gum - ended up quitting for a few years then stupidly picked it up again. Thank you!
If you quit once, you can do it again and cold turkey is the best way. It doesn't take very long for the nicotine to get out of your system. It usually takes about 48 hours. So getting past the first 48 hours is the hardest part. You can do it!

I found that overeating makes you want a cigarette more. And frequent snacks do the same. Also, when I quit smoking I made it a point to stay away from other smokers. If you have friends that drink and smoke, stay away from them. And it's probably a bad idea to drink when trying to quite. So don't drink!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
As a pharmacist, I have seen lots of people have success with a drug called Chantix. You might consider asking your doctor if it is right for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
another pharmacist weighing in....many of our patients have had success with Chantix. Yes, there are some who have the side effects mentioned which is why our doctors can't write refills and the patient calls and speaks to a pharmacist every month and we question them to see if they are having side effects. (I work at a VA so it's not quite the same as the private sector.) But I have heard fantastic results and wouldn't rule out trying it remembering if you have any personality changes to stop and call your doctor.
\

After trying everything else this is what did it for me. No cravings, no increase in appetitie. Only noticeable side effect were very vivid dreams although not unpleasant.

I think it is six years or so now smoke free.

George
Old 09-05-2012, 06:33 PM

did you try e cig ? i have not a real cig in 3 years now
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 PM

get a good one like a provari
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.