Social Security Disability

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Gold member
Default Social Security Disability

Is there a local lawyer dealilng specifically with Social Security Disability application? I have been repeatedly told by friends, "everyone gets turned down unless you have a lawyer" Is this a fact? What about the SS office adjacent to the Villges, anyone worked with them in this regard?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Watch last Sunday's "60 Minutes" segment on this very topic. Legitimate and qualifying cases do not need legal representation. Your case should be well documented and clearly demonstrate your physical and mental conditions which would make you eligible. The SSA will assist you with proper forms.

Unfortunately, the system is full of unethical lawyers and medical doctors who aid fraudulent claimants whose only purpose is to scam the US taxpayers out of more money because they don't want to earn it the old fashioned way. A 2 year congressional investigation, released yesterday, documents the criminal behavior.

We all have a responsibility to report such scamers to the proper authorities.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM

I have worked for Social Security Disabilty for 25 years. Retired now. You do NOT need an attorney when you first apply. If you get denied twice and decide to go to a hearing (3rd level) you need an attorney. An attorney gets part of your retroactive pay up to $6,000 at any level. I have sent you a private message.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 PM

I, too, have sent you a PM. Hope it helps!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 PM

Re the fraud issue. For about ten years SSA Disability has had FRAUD units. These are comprised of SSA staff, the state police and the office of the Inspector General. Adjudicators refer questionable case to this unit and claimant's are investigated. These units save and recoup many millions of dollars and prosecute people every year. I don't. Know if the TV show mentioned this.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Sage
Unfortunatly all Social Security offices are closed now and for the forseeable future.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Unfortunatly all Social Security offices are closed now and for the forseeable future.
Of course!

btk
Old 10-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

The "60 minutes" program this past Sunday regarding S. S. Disability abuse was an eye opener. Investigations have shown as many as 25% of the claims were erroneous. Millions of taxpayers dollars down the drain. Doctors and Lawyers getting wealthy----the problem is so big that most will probably get away with it. A few will go to jail. Meanwhile those with real disabilities "wait" and could be turned away for lack of funds.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 PM

According to the news, SSA Offices are accepting retirement and disability claims. They are not giving out new SS numbers/cards and are not replacing lost cards. Their Internet services are fully operational and you can apply for retirement or disability online.

Federal Government Shutdown
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 PM

I have been reading the post on this thread concerning SS Disability. My spouse was denied recently and I wonder if I could to speak to Lacey Lady about this. Not sure how to post a private message. I understand Lacey Lady worked at the SS office previously. Thank You
Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
Is there a local lawyer dealilng specifically with Social Security Disability application? I have been repeatedly told by friends, "everyone gets turned down unless you have a lawyer" Is this a fact? What about the SS office adjacent to the Villges, anyone worked with them in this regard?
My experience has been first time no lawyer, denied, 2nd filing with lawyer my ssdi was approved..

But, a friend of mine, ag 57 who retired from his city job and is receiving his pension, applied for ssdi and was approved the first time...
Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Platinum member

Binder and Binder
Old 11-28-2013, 04:40 AM
Default Contact re SSDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary amelia View Post
I have been reading the post on this thread concerning SS Disability. My spouse was denied recently and I wonder if I could to speak to Lacey Lady about this. Not sure how to post a private message. I understand Lacey Lady worked at the SS office previously. Thank You
I sent you a PM with information on how to contact me.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.