Some of us survived...........

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Grandma's phone #: two longs and a short.

Practice air raids - all cars off the roads.

2 cent bottles of white or chocolate milk for school recess.

Riding on the buses all day all over Chicago with 7 YO friends.

2 cent days at Riverview Amusement Park
Riverview amusement park photos - Chicago Tribune

Oh. Wow! That brings back a not so good memory. The Cuban Missile Crisis - duck and cover!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
You all know despite the light tone of all of this, that there are people who are not here today because they didn't wear a bike helmet, or a seat belt, or have adequate supervision, or got Vicks when they really had Pertussis or got Reye's syndrome from baby aspirin. So yes, those of us who survived were lucky but I like to believe that maybe some of the newer safety concerns have actually saved some children.
I agree with you entirely. I cringe when I think how we lived and try not to blame anyone or feel guilty. My parents did better than their parents and I did better for my children. Somehow it is a little fun to reminisce.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Oh. Wow! That brings back a not so good memory. The Cuban Missile Crisis - duck and cover!
In 1962, after HS graduation and a summer of fun fun fun, I drove my 60 something grandparents from Chicago to Bradenton to their new Florida winter retirement home. New 2 bdr, 1 bath, 1 car garage with a screen enclosed Florida Room on a 4k SF lot $5,200 - in the then mostly retirement community of Bayshore Gardens; very nice compared to Chi Town south side.

I got a job in Publix bagging groceries. When the missile crisis erupted, people bought out the store in case they had to relocate to the everglades.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

I survived SPAM! I don't know how.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Platinum member

Party line for the phones
Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM

Party lines and limited phone call plans. Kept a notepad to mark off how many calls we made so far that month. If a relative had unlimited calls, we'd ring twice and hang up. Then she'd call us back.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Enemas

A regular dose of cod liver oil--or as my parents would say.. a physic
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
A regular dose of cod liver oil--or as my parents would say.. a physic
Haven't heard that word in a long time. lol.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
You all know despite the light tone of all of this, that there are people who are not here today because they didn't wear a bike helmet, or a seat belt, or have adequate supervision, or got Vicks when they really had Pertussis or got Reye's syndrome from baby aspirin. So yes, those of us who survived were lucky but I like to believe that maybe some of the newer safety concerns have actually saved some children.
Hmm kinda harshing the fun--and yes. we do know
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage
Default Tonsillectomy

I survived a tonsillectomy that was totally unnecessary. My parents told me I needed it because it was recommended by the medical community and everyone was doing it. In other words, they didn't stop to think for themselves, they just went along with the crowd.

Their parents (my grandparents) didn't get tonsillectomies and my parents didn't get tonsillectomies and they all did just fine. My aunts and uncles didn't get tonsillectomies and they did just fine too.

I don't mean to make too much of this one episode. Yes, I survived it, but I hope I learned something from it too. In the future I hope to think for myself and do better than just go along with the crowd.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
Hmm kinda harshing the fun--and yes. we do know

Smart person, you.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I survived a tonsillectomy that was totally unnecessary. My parents told me I needed it because it was recommended by the medical community and everyone was doing it. In other words, they didn't stop to think for themselves, they just went along with the crowd.

Their parents (my grandparents) didn't get tonsillectomies and my parents didn't get tonsillectomies and they all did just fine. My aunts and uncles didn't get tonsillectomies and they did just fine too.

I don't mean to make too much of this one episode. Yes, I survived it, but I hope I learned something from it too. In the future I hope to think for myself and do better than just go along with the crowd.
After having my operation the doctor showed me my tonsils in a jar and one was pink and the other black........That ended my yearly episodes of tonsillitis. Sometimes it WAS necessary.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
After having my operation the doctor showed me my tonsils in a jar and one was pink and the other black........That ended my yearly episodes of tonsillitis. Sometimes it WAS necessary.
I agree that it's necessary sometimes. My objection is with doing operations routinely whether needed or not.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM

My mother had to get her tonsils out simply to keep her sister company. BTW,how about the ice man, the rag man,and the produce truck coming down the alley?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy.

Very LARGE Smallpox vaccinations.

Blue light on our heads in grade school, a class at a time to look for ringworm.

Terrible earaches.

Friends and or family who died or who were permanently disabled by polio.

Radiation therapy for enlarged tonsils.

Having a family member blow cigarette smoke in your ear as treatment for earache.

Croup. Asthma, Coughing for months with no known treatment.

Visits by the doctor to our home where they gave your parents a small envelope with pills and told them to feed us "tea and toast" for a few days.

Signs on our front windows warning of contagious disease within that quarantined the home.

Did I think of everything?
You forgot Xrays to check for shoe fitting
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.