(Specific) Question About TV Dermatologists

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2022, 08:06 AM

I see a Dr. Hicks. I was a new patient and got in fairly quickly
Old 11-13-2022, 08:33 AM

Lake Dermatology, Dr. Torres - we’ve been going to him for 10 years, always great service. Both the staff and doctor are friendly and very helpful.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

My primary care physician, who I see at least three times a year, does a skin check on my head, arms, chest and back. So far, he has taken care of anything he notices that may be pre-cancerous. I'm very satisfied.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:23 AM

I use Advanced Dermatology at their office near Spanish Springs, though they have several offices. Very little delay for a new patient.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:41 AM
Default Bravo!

The title says it all. Thank you for the policy.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:25 AM
Default Alliant Dermatology

I also go to Alliant Dermatology. Very happy there. But now, my biopsy showed a squamous cell on the bridge of my nose that needs Mohs surgery. I can’t have it done until January! 😳 I’m on the giant wait list.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We live in Mass and will move to TV in 9 months. I go the the Dermatologist twice a year for "cancer checks" and as need when something starts growing on me that needs to be removed- usually "minor" cancers like a Basal Cell, etc.

New patients have to wait nearly 6 months to be seen by her, but she has a policy that CURRENT patients will be seen within 10 days for any skin problem that pops up. This is fantastic because these little cancers can grow large pretty fast. By comparison my Gastroenterologist makes CURRENT patients wait 3 months to be seen.

So my question is this- Does anyone see a Dermatologist who has a similar policy of seeing existing patients quickly like my current Mass Dr.? I hate to think I'd have to fly to Mass to be seen quickly if I get some rapidly growing lesion.
I'm confused. If there is a six-month wait for new patients and you're not moving here for nine months, why not make your new patient appointment now f for nine months from now, when you will be here? If they say it's too far in advance, then do so in a couple of months. Or am I missing something?

Btw, who is 'her'? ('New patients have to wait nearly 6 months to be seen by her....)

I had a fairly deep melanoma in 1992 (Clark's level 3, as they were measured in those days) and learned in 2002 that I had already exceeded what 'they' considered my life expectancy. Here I am in the care of Village Dermatology, where I had a PA with eagle eyes who caught things that no one else could see. She's no longer there, but I feel confident in her replacement. Dr Tran gets involved with surgery when my biopsies do not have clean margins, and because of careful, frequent checkups, I have not had further surgery in several years (though quite a bit prior to that).

When we first moved here in 2007, I had a dreadful experience with Dr Hassanein and his staff and would never go back there.

Let's see: 2022 - 1992 = 30 years. In 1992 I was told that if I had a recurrence, there was no treatment available. Today there are various treatments available. Need I say more?...
Old 11-13-2022, 11:18 AM
Default Dermatology Institute and high cost bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The Dermatology Institute and Skin Cancer Center
2783 Brownwood Blvd, The Villages, FL 32163
On my first visit to see Dr. Knapp at the Dermatology Institute in Brownwood, they told me I needed 3 areas biopsied. I had been a patient at the Skin Cancer Institute at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago so I have had biopsies before. I told Dr. Knapp, his nurse and the front desk when I came in that I wanted an estimate of cost before getting any work done. I was given a reasonable estimate and they removed the three areas of skin for testing. The bill, which I received weeks later, was more than triple what they told me. I have health insurance with United Health Care and I wanted to make sure what they were doing was covered because we are on a budget and I know I have $100 copay and then I pay 20% of additional costs for some procedures and I pay higher for other procedures and labs. My bill turned out to be more than $600. I was very upset because that was no where near the $180 bill I expected. I talked to the office staff who could care a less and said that is what I owed. I did pay it but will not go back there. With regard to the care, the biopsies I had healed fine. Typically when I would get work done in Chicago they explain after care, give me written instructions as well and also a small bag with bandages and ointment. I didn't get any after care bandages or ointment so I went to Walgreens and bought the cloth bandages which would not prevent me from seeing them again but the outrageous bill has them on my do not return list. I have been going to the dermatologist at Shands UF health. I get in quickly and go there for my mamograms and other health needs.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:51 AM

I have had nothing but bad experiences (except for once) at Alliant Derm yet most on TOTV and Next Door rave about it, even my spouse who goes to Dr. Casper, thinks it's great.

Don't recall how long I had to wait for my first body check in 2020, but the visit was so rushed that I was caught off guard & didn't ask any of my questions. The doc found some small issues (squamous cell?) on my upper lip & near hairline so I was scheduled for 3 follow up sessions with the PA. The follow up appointments were scheduled 4 months in the future, nothing earlier was available; maybe if the issues had been more serious the appointments would have been earlier, don’t know. (BTW, I'm retired with an open schedule. ) The PA was terrific, took her time with me & recommended, at my request, another doc to see for next year’s appt. Unfortunately, the next 2 yearly appointments were the same – rush rush. This year, 2022, the doc wanted to remove a spot on my arm & gave me the option to use a procedure that would hurt & not leave a scar, or a procedure that wouldn’t hurt & leave a scar. HUH? Let’s get some clarification. No way. When I hesitated, she immediately put the can of nitrogen (?) back on the counter & told the assistant to note that I refused treatment. Good bye Alliant Derm.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I'm confused. If there is a six-month wait for new patients and you're not moving here for nine months, why not make your new patient appointment now f for nine months from now, when you will be here? If they say it's too far in advance, then do so in a couple of months. Or am I missing something?

Btw, who is 'her'? ('New patients have to wait nearly 6 months to be seen by her....)
Hi, The "Her" is the doctor I see in Mass. It is an office with 1 doctor and no PAs. I gave the 6 months figure simply to show the contrast between new patient and existing patient.

I already plan to make an appt in TV months in advance of moving here. The central information I was hoping to learn is if there is a Dermatology Practice that will give a No Wait / Short Wait appointment to an Existing patient in case I get a growth that needs attention quickly.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNonnon View Post
I also go to Alliant Dermatology. Very happy there. But now, my biopsy showed a squamous cell on the bridge of my nose that needs Mohs surgery. I can’t have it done until January! 😳 I’m on the giant wait list.
That is the "wait" I want to avoid. I'm wondering if there is a Dermatology practice that would not make someone wait to have a cancer removed, or a Mohs surgery. If I had to wait until January to have a cancer removed from my nose I'd be really unhappy.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:56 PM

I see Dr Bolton at Alliant. I have had melanoma 2x. Last one being 1 1/2 years ago and Dr Bolton found it. I go every 3 months and she tells me if I see anything to call and they will get me right in. They do have 3 locations
Old 11-13-2022, 06:48 PM

Just wondering who the dermatologist is that you (Hifred) see at Shands? Thanks
Old 11-13-2022, 07:42 PM
Default Sorry but

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
I have had nothing but bad experiences (except for once) at Alliant Derm yet most on TOTV and Next Door rave about it, even my spouse who goes to Dr. Casper, thinks it's great.

Don't recall how long I had to wait for my first body check in 2020, but the visit was so rushed that I was caught off guard & didn't ask any of my questions. The doc found some small issues (squamous cell?) on my upper lip & near hairline so I was scheduled for 3 follow up sessions with the PA. The follow up appointments were scheduled 4 months in the future, nothing earlier was available; maybe if the issues had been more serious the appointments would have been earlier, don’t know. (BTW, I'm retired with an open schedule. ) The PA was terrific, took her time with me & recommended, at my request, another doc to see for next year’s appt. Unfortunately, the next 2 yearly appointments were the same – rush rush. This year, 2022, the doc wanted to remove a spot on my arm & gave me the option to use a procedure that would hurt & not leave a scar, or a procedure that wouldn’t hurt & leave a scar. HUH? Let’s get some clarification. No way. When I hesitated, she immediately put the can of nitrogen (?) back on the counter & told the assistant to note that I refused treatment. Good bye Alliant Derm.
most of what is in this post is more than confusing, less than credible and apparently with an attached agenda (even his wife disagrees with the premise). Doctor Casper has been my guy for over 10 years and I am very happy with the relationship. Had successful surgery for melanoma on my leg and successful superficial electron therapy for a basal cell on my ear. Would recommend him and Alliant as if my life depended on it.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyP View Post
Dermatology & Mohs Surgery DrJonny Gurgen DO FAOCD 352-435-7695. Two locations.
I also used Dr Gurgen and just had a Moh's procedure done. This is my third one, but first one down here. Very impressed and will stay with them. Check out Dr Gurgen's credentials and reviews.
Closed Thread

Tags
patients, mass, months, current, quickly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.