Statin Safety

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2022, 11:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJfromCincy View Post
LISTEN to your doctor and talk to THEM!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
There is a reason statins are by prescription only. You doctor will help you weigh the risks and benefits.
AMEN to all of the above.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:16 AM

My doctor back in Virginia prescribed a Statin for high cholesterol. I was always kind of leery of them so I read the insert closely. In bold letters was the warning to NOT take it if you are taking Colchicine which I use when I have a gout flareup. I had an appointment with my podiatrist to follow up on some surgery the next week so I asked him about the Statin. He nearly fell out of his chair. He said Colchicine and several types of Statins causes muscle death and told me to ask my primary care doctor (which was in the same medical group with full access to all my records) to prescribe one of the other drugs that does not react to Colchicine. To review, this was from a doctor in the same medical group as the one who prescribed Colchicine and both prescriptions were filled by the very same pharmacy that should have caught the issue as well. Just goes to show that you have to take an active interest in your care.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:31 PM
Veteran member
Default cholesterol

for many - excercise , and fish instead of meat are whats needed ... but most are to lazy to do the things needed ...
Old 09-20-2022, 06:06 PM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Default Statin effects

The most worrisome effect (from MDs) is rhabdomylysis or muscle pain and wasting of muscles from statins. When this happens, one is normally switched to another medication that reduces cholesterol. There are other meds your MD can prescribe that aren't statins but may have the same cholesterol lowering affects you need.

High blood pressure (>130/90) significantly affects the arteries throughout the body. Sounds like your grandmother may have had problems related to elevated blood pressure which contributed to kidney failure.

One of the things I do religiously (bc I don't trust anyone) is to have a PharmD look at all my medications including vitamins, supplements every year to ensure there is no drug to drug interaction and the dosing in correct on every medication. There's supposed to be some kind of "red" flag that pops up when a provider orders medication when there's a bad interaction but rarely is my medication list correct. Having this medication review done, reassures me that I'm on the right dose, of the right medication and taking it for the right reason.

Last year, the PharmD asked me why I was taking a certain medication because it causes thyroid tumors (take it for diabetes). The PharmD ordered a thyroid ultra sound to ensure there were no thyroid nodules in my neck. A example of good surveillance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
Myself, husband, and mother are taking Rosuvastatin for high cholestrol. My grandmother passed away from renal failure due to medication for her high blood pressure. I am concerned about the side effects of the statins. My husband is concerned that his egfr number has declined.
Just wondering if anyone had any adverse effects from taking statins.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:23 PM

Very Good Post Subject.........thank you!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
husband, effects, taking, statins, high

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.