Suggestions for hearing aids

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Default Suggestions for hearing aids

Any suggestions, referrals, etc. for my husband to get a hearing aid?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 PM

I paid a lot of money for a in the ear aid. I hate it and don't wear it. Because it muffles the. Ear. Try the behind the ear
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Do a thread search on hearing aids as mucho much has been posted on the very question you ask.

btk
Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 AM

I used Dr. Tressa Waldo. She's affiliated with Family Doctor's of Belleview. She is NOT a hearing aid saleswoman - she's a Doctor of Audiology. Big difference. I've worn a hearing since is was 30, so I knew better than just to go with anyone. Very satisfied with her testing, fitting and follow-up. This hearing aid is fabulous - the best one yet.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Default Hearing aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdeb114 View Post
Any suggestions, referrals, etc. for my husband to get a hearing aid?

Thanks!
If your husband is a veteran, he may be eligible for hearing aids...Better to check it out at the VA center...
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Sage

I agree with having an audiology test first and then get the hearing aids that best suits his needs.

I have Starkeys brand behind the ear type hearing aids, I find them so comfortable that sometimes I forget I have them in when I step into the shower. They are waterproof but not to the extent of being in a shower and or diving into a pool. Doh!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Lake Ear Nose Throat did a great job for me.
Dr. Paige Holt, one of the very few audiologists around here,
and no more expensive than the multitude of ear places.

Highly recommended.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyisle View Post
I used Dr. Tressa Waldo. She's affiliated with Family Doctor's of Belleview. She is NOT a hearing aid saleswoman - she's a Doctor of Audiology. Big difference. I've worn a hearing since is was 30, so I knew better than just to go with anyone. Very satisfied with her testing, fitting and follow-up. This hearing aid is fabulous - the best one yet.
This is a very important point. Hearing Aid salespeople in Florida need a high school diploma and very little further training. Going to an Audiologist is extremely important. Almost all problems people have with hearing aids could be prevented if they had gone to a competent, highly trained audiologist instead of a hearing aid salesman. Further, don't be afraid to go back for adjustments. I've been wearing hearing aids for many, many years and sometimes I return a half dozen times for adjustments until I get the aids working the way I want them. A good audiologist will insist on this. I've rarely had hearing aids I was satisfied with immediately. I get new hearing aids every 2-3 years so I've had a lot of experience with these little gizmos and have had virtually every type of hearing aid. I personally prefer C.I.C.s (completely in the canal) and I have no problem with muffled sounds, after the hearing aids are adjusted the way I want them. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Gold member

I have Zounds hearing aids and have had them for about 3 years. Their office is located behind the Bank of America bank on 441. I have had very little trouble with these aids. They are behind the ears type. What I like about them is that they have rechargeable batteries and I have had them replaced a few times without cost. I also have a stand where I put them in each night before going to bed. They recharge in 8 hours. They also come with a remote controller where you can increase or decrease the sound, increase or decrease the treble or bass, and in addition there are settings for dining, music, and party, in addition to quiet which basically turns off the aids. I can hear OK without aids but they sure help. I have also had my aids adjusted after a couple of years but they didn't need much adjustment.

All in all I am very happy with these aids and the Zounds service.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Lake Ear Nose Throat did a great job for me.
Dr. Paige Holt, one of the very few audiologists around here,
and no more expensive than the multitude of ear places.

Highly recommended.
Dr Holt did a great job for my wife.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
I have Zounds hearing aids and have had them for about 3 years. Their office is located behind the Bank of America bank on 441. I have had very little trouble with these aids. They are behind the ears type. What I like about them is that they have rechargeable batteries and I have had them replaced a few times without cost. I also have a stand where I put them in each night before going to bed. They recharge in 8 hours. They also come with a remote controller where you can increase or decrease the sound, increase or decrease the treble or bass, and in addition there are settings for dining, music, and party, in addition to quiet which basically turns off the aids. I can hear OK without aids but they sure help. I have also had my aids adjusted after a couple of years but they didn't need much adjustment.

All in all I am very happy with these aids and the Zounds service.

John
have an appointment on wed
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

I just went thru the whole process. Dr. testing first then I tried starkey, phonak, and beltone, I have severe to profound hearing loss, of the 3 I tried the beltone promise was by far the best for clarity and blockage of background noise. Perry, the hearing aid tech was excellent to work with they are located near laurel manor.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.