Taste Buds: Why some don't like healthful foods

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage

When your taste buds start to go is that like lowering the volume?
Does it take more salt or sugar for something to taste salty or sweet?
Does it take more garlic or hotter peppers to be garlicy or spicey?
That's going to make it difficult to season the food you are serving to others who still have their taste buds.

I recall a similar thread about macdonalds. I remember reading how the hamburgers they serve today are not as tasty as the ones they made in the 70's for many reasons.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I don't remember too many canned vegetables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
When I was little in NJ fresh veggies were seasonal and not imported from all over the world. Where were you raised?
Good question.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The reason I object to blanket statements about "happiness" or "a circle of friends" providing the best plan for longevity, is that it depends on the context of what the group is about.

The following people all had their circle of friends:

Osama Bin Laden

The terrorists who destroyed the Twin Towers

Saddam Hussein

Hitler

Charles Manson
What is your source that mentions these people had a "circle of friends?"
Old 02-11-2015, 05:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
A long time ago I mentioned on this board that we tend to lose our sense of taste as we get older. That's because someone said, "health food consists of items like birds nest, tofu and cardboard."

Evidently, a study was done on this subject and I now have the result.

Average number of taste buds remaining at 75: 36%

This may partly explain why people in their 70s suffer rapidly declining health. Healthy whole foods don't taste good to them while fast food tastes great.

I myself haven't noticed any decline in my sense of taste. I continue to eat natural whole foods and seldom add any salt. I never buy any groceries with added sweetener. Fats in my diet come mostly from nuts.

So, do new taste buds ever grow?
What is the difference in how a tongue looks with 100% taste buds versus 36% taste buds.
At what age do taste buds start disappearing?
What does a taste bud look like?

What percent of normal people give you the fats in your diet?
Old 02-11-2015, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
The taste bud issue was one of ten things that decline with age. No study was mentioned and different studies may yield different results.

To learn more, you might try searching: "Taste Perception with Age"
Quote:
Do you have a study to support your idea that a supportive circle of friends contributes more to good health than eating a healthy diet?
Why is it you're asking others to back up their statements with studies when you don't have one yourself to back up your statement?

As a matter of fact, there is a study about friends and lifestyle and living longer. It was discussed in a prior thread. People living in a community, the name of which I can't remember offhand.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Sage
Default Ha ha so very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages pl View Post
the reason i object to blanket statements about "happiness" or "a circle of friends" providing the best plan for longevity, is that it depends on the context of what the group is about.

The following people all had their circle of friends:

Osama bin laden

the terrorists who destroyed the twin towers

saddam hussein

hitler

charles manson

ha ha.........so very very true
Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 AM
Sage
Default Yes I just saw a photo of him at age 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Newsflash, Charles Manson is still alive at 80 years old........

Yes, & he was deluded enough to think that a YOUNG GAL wanted to marry him for LOVE........just read somewhere that she actually wanted to make money $$$$$$ on displaying his corpse when he passed on to HELL.

Last year I read a very tediously long book on his entire life.
He was in & out of juvenile jails, then worked his way up to the real deal.
His entire life was one of depravity & criminal action......including his surrounding himself with all of the "groupie" female & male followers .

Longevity is attained NOT by just loyal friendships.......but by your own family genetics.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 AM
Sage
Default My mom lost her sense of taste & her sense of smell in her eighties

Quote:
A long time ago I mentioned on this board that we tend to lose our sense of taste as we get older. That's because someone said, "health food consists of items like birds nest, tofu and cardboard."

This may partly explain why people in their 70s suffer rapidly declining health. Healthy whole foods don't taste good to them while fast food tastes great.

I myself haven't noticed any decline in my sense of taste. I continue to eat natural whole foods and seldom add any salt. I never buy any groceries with added sweetener. Fats in my diet come mostly from nuts.

My mom lost both her sense of taste & her sense of "smell" in her eighties.......she ate very little, but survived till age 91.

When living with us, she seem to enjoy things like spaghetti & meatballs....... plus her childhood ethnic "pierogies" or "stuffed cabbage rolls"....... But she was not fussy about food.

She also liked her ice cream. Such a small pleasure....not to be denied. Come to think of it......she also loved a nice cold beer in the summertime or a gin & tonic in the winter time. She never got cancer nor anything.....other than the Alzheimers.....which is something, for sure.

Left to her own devices, in her own home, she had been existing on yoghurt & bananas...........and COFFEE. Once my stepfather passed, she had no one to cook for.

I wouldn't call the last 18 months of her life as "living" , mainly because of the end stage Alzheimers.....although the skilled nursing home would bring out huge trays of such a variety of food for every single patient (served in the day room). We would pop in at all times of the morning, afternoon or night......always tons of food........anything to get them to eat. Nice home cooking.

Most of these patients would have died from malnutrition if left at home (with no family member or caretaker to observe or care for them)........they just FORGET to eat......

FOLLOWING IS SOME "FOOD FOR THOUGHT".........

Dr Deepak Chopra prescribes 10 simple rules for ageing with health and happiness in his "most optimistic book" AGELESS BODY, TIMELESS MIND - A Quantum alternative to growing old.

Here's an interpretation:

1. Intake fresh food, eat frugally, drink wholesome liquids, abstain from stimulants and sedatives, and have a bowel movement once a day.

2. Maintain a high level of personal hygiene, get plenty of fresh air, sunlight and rest, have enjoyable leisure time, satisfying hobbies

3. Exercise, meditate, practice balanced refined breathing and yoga, listen to the body's signal of comfort and discomfort

4. Work for a happy marriage, long-term relationship, have ability to laugh easily and to make friends and keep close friends

5. Choose a congenial occupation, go on vacation every year, be optimistic about the future, feel financially secure and live within means

6. Develop an easygoing personality, cultivate nonviolent behavior, have reverence for life

7. Live in temperate climate, enjoy a reasonable sex life, and get proper medical attention in case of illness

8. Live in the present - accept what comes your way, appreciate it, learn from it and let go. Resisting the natural flow of things causes negative emotions

9. Relinquish external approval, avoid being judgmental, replace fear-motivated behavior with love-motivated one, nurture positive emotions and express them freely.

10. Always know the world outside is a reflection of your deeper intelligence - the real "you" is within

Namaste

Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Which is worse, the chick or the egg?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 AM

I love the same fruit as Graciegirl!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Well, it was their circle of enemies that brought them down! Their friends had nothing to do with their demise.

We don't know how long they would have lived in their circle of friends, than God.
Terrorist friends encourage each other to continue being terrorists until they eventually get brought down or kill themselves in a suicide mission.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Terrorist friends encourage each other to continue being terrorists until they eventually get brought down or kill themselves in a suicide mission.
Let's get back to the topic of taste buds.
I'd still like to know if the statistic you posted was the result of a study.
If so I'd like to see the link, just to understand the number of 75 year old seniors surveyed.
I'd also like to know the methodology used to figure out that the seniors only had 36% of their taste buds remaining.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Villages PL The Villages Florida

Originally Posted by Villages PL The Villages Florida
The taste bud issue was one of ten things that decline with age.
No study was mentioned and different studies may yield different results.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barefoot asked yesterday:
Was there a study done or not.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:

Is there a study on terrorists friends? How about the one Bare asked about? By the way...I am in the library right now.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Let's get back to the topic of taste buds.
I'd still like to know if the statistic you posted was the result of a study.
If so I'd like to see the link, just to understand the number of 75 year old seniors surveyed.
I'd also like to know the methodology used to figure out that the seniors only had 36% of their taste buds remaining.
By the way, I don't doubt that taste buds decline in the elderly, since hearing and sight often decline as well.
I just thought it odd that the Study was so specific to say that only 36% of taste buds remain.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Sage

Very thin.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.