Total Knee replacement by Mako robot assist

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2023, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Total Knee replacement by Mako robot assist

The arthritis in my right knee has been diagnosed as severe osteoarthritis .....very painful....now affecting my daily 2-3 mile walk and number of times per week I can play golf.
This is a big decision (for me) at the age of 86......the long recovery is intimidating!!

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a total knee replacement by Mako robot assist.
Outpatient....home same day?
Tylenol level pain relief or narcotics?
Physical therapy regimen......long and drawn out?
Back to normal in as quick as 3 months?

And any other pertinent experience(s).
Old 04-14-2023, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The arthritis in my right knee has been diagnosed as severe osteoarthritis .....very painful....now affecting my daily 2-3 mile walk and number of times per week I can play golf.
This is a big decision (for me) at the age of 86......the long recovery is intimidating!!

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a total knee replacement by Mako robot assist.

Had it done back on 11/30/22 on my right knee; was in Orlando; back to work in 2 weeks; playing golf in 5 weeks; wished I’d had it done a lot sooner; getting the left one done in November.
Old 04-14-2023, 10:59 PM

I had both my knees done with Mako assist robotics, 2 years apart. Highly recommend, took Tylenol only. Had home physical therapy for about 10 day then went to outpatient physical therapy twice a week for 5 or 6 weeks.
Mako robotics, is less invasive, perfect alignment, smaller scar. A lot of people comment about leaving the hospital in one day. What is the rush?? Stay there 3 days, they monitor your vitals, give physical therapy and injections for blood clots. Knee replacement is major surgery.
Everyone has different recovery time, depending on your physical condition and age. I was 70 and 72.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

The most important part of any knee replacement is the after therapy.
If you do not put in the exercise, you will not get the full benefit of the replacement.
The surgery methods are getting better all the time.
Definitely, "No pain, no gain!"
I love my new knee, and recommend the replacement to anyone considering.
Sooner the better.

Last edited by Two Bills; 04-15-2023 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

What Surgeons do this robotic surgery?
Old 04-15-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Dr. Roboto?
Old 04-15-2023, 11:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Only the Experts! If they don’t use Robotic assist, you are with the wrong Doctor!
Old 04-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Only the Experts! If they don’t use Robotic assist, you are with the wrong Doctor!
There thousands of ortho guys who don’t use mako. Why because they have been totals for multiple years, have same results, if not better, than mako, in less time.
Not every hospital bought into mako.

Did you know your physician can’t be color blind and perform a mako, that their assistant must guide them through?
Old 04-15-2023, 03:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
There thousands of ortho guys who don’t use mako. Why because they have been totals for multiple years, have same results, if not better, than mako, in less time.
Not every hospital bought into mako.

Did you know your physician can’t be color blind and perform a mako, that their assistant must guide them through?
Ok .. if you like old school , that’s fine…what’s a half inch among friends
Old 04-15-2023, 04:07 PM
Sage

My apologies, I am guessing you are a retired ortho guy, and may have much more experience.

Then again 10,000 totals in 40 years, might give some knowledge of every possible way to do totals, their outcomes, 2 days, 2 years, or 20 years. I didn’t even have to read online, or watch a show on TV, or stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

Last edited by asianthree; 04-15-2023 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:09 PM
Sage

Some physicians can only do a Mako, and not all are candidates. For us a physician who can perform a partial, full total, or a reconstructed is the only way we would go. Our granddaughter has been in multiple ortho procedures, and is still dead set on ortho trauma.

We all keep reminding her how many call hours we, and her mother have logged in over the years. When you are young 400 hours of call a month seems like a blink of an eye.

Last edited by asianthree; 04-15-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam+6 View Post
i had both my knees done with mako assist robotics, 2 years apart. Highly recommend, took tylenol only. Had home physical therapy for about 10 day then went to outpatient physical therapy twice a week for 5 or 6 weeks.
Mako robotics, is less invasive, perfect alignment, smaller scar. A lot of people comment about leaving the hospital in one day. What is the rush?? Stay there 3 days, they monitor your vitals, give physical therapy and injections for blood clots. Knee replacement is major surgery.
Everyone has different recovery time, depending on your physical condition and age. I was 70 and 72.
lost a friend due to those clots. Protect yourself as best you can
Old 04-16-2023, 05:38 AM

I had both of my knees replaced 5 and 7 years ago. I am now 66. Although replacements are not as great as a healthy knee, the pain relief sure is great! My left knee was done with robotic assist. Can’t say it turned out different than the first one…they both feel the same. The robotic left more scars where more incisions were made on my leg. The pain is very manageable after surgery. I was out of the hospital the same day, gingerly walking around, and doing home therapy right away. You should be pretty decent after 3 months of rehab.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:52 AM
Default Both knees replaced recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

I had both knees replaced a year apart in Orlando by Dr.Steven Nguyen at Optimotion Orthopedics. Both procedures were extremely successful. I checked in around 9:30 and walked out of the office with new knees around 1:30. He has perfected a procedure with a lateral incision with very little cutting of muscle and tendons. I was playing full rounds of golf in five weeks. He does use robotics in his procedures in needed. Many Villages have used him and he has an office near Brownwood. I'm 76 and I wish I had the surgeries ten years ago. His phone number is 407-355-3120. Good Luck
Old 04-16-2023, 07:45 AM

I had both knees done as partial Mako surgeries in CO and found Twin Palm Ortho Dr. Farr in Ocala for some recent appts… arthritis is coming back in one of the knees. He does both partial and whole knees by Mako.
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, total, long, mako, replacement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.